NR hunt questions

nugentfan

Hello fellow hunters! Looking for some big time help here. It's been too many years since I've hunted in Colorado but have been gathering non resident preference points, elk 14, deer 13 and pronghorn 12, in my absence. What I'd like is to find a good chance for a trophy animal of each of these species. Not really a Boone and Crockett guy and it's always hunting but sure would like to have an opportunity to be in an area with a good mature animals. No way I could swing all three in one year for sure. After waiting this long I'm also in no rush, another few years or more is better than wasting the opportunity I feel I have. Honestly I'll never have an opportunity to gather points like this because of my age. If you feel environmental conditions, herd health or any aspect to be successful are not right this year please I welcome your input. Weapon choice will be muzzle loader or rifle, would prefer rifle for deer(talk me into the muzzle hunt) and antelope and elk is a toss up. Most likely the areas you suggest will be totally unfamiliar to me and I don't have much of a support team (or friends with points either)so will be looking for an outfitter. Some guys will have ruffled feathers over this but I'm a minimum of 900 miles away and $4.00 gas doesn't lend itself to many scouting trips. Have contacted DOW biologists with limited responses. Know they are busy with crazy questions this time of year so don't fault them. Thank you in advance,Gene

I think you could do fine yourself on antelope in NW colorado hunting public land. However for elk or deer, With that many points and the resulting trophy potential,I'd be looking at a guided hunt in one of the limited draw units. It would be a shame to not maximize the potential of those PPS that you've accumulated for so long. Use the DOW's website and statistics to determine which units fit your PP numbers and search for outfitters in those areas.

The elk is easy, best you can do is 76 muzz hunt if your in good physical condition. Sammy Frazier Outfitting could fix you up. Top end bull little over 300 but you'll see some beautiful country.

Thanks for the quick help/suggestions! Didn't expect so much this quickly. Seems like you have all agreed that deer and elk would require help and I appreciate your input. Antelope I'm not sure what to think because of the negativity I've gotten from the biologists. The west guy says well our herd is down call the east guy. East guy says we aren't doing too good call the west guy. I've heard this same story for over 5 years. Both have stated that herds on private land hold better bucks. Leads me to believe that I need private land access at a minimum. Could very well be short of points so maybe pushing antelope too hard? Some questions that I left out of the original post. Any environmental or other conditions that would make you suggest I hold off? I hunted back in '91 or '92 when that spring decimated the deer herd. Terrible to see all those skeletons. How has the winter been on the herds? Spring outlook? Sure I'm missing other factors as well. Want to make the most of the opportunities and will gladly wait to improve my chances. Thanks in advance! Gene

Spent my time since the last post and worked the point calculator on MM. Looks like pronghorn rifle top draw units 2, 3, 201 and 301. Deer 142 late, 103 late, 61 4th, 21 3rd and 10 4th. Elk 2 muzzle, 201 muzzle, 2 early rifle, 10 early rifle and 201 early rifle. Any thoughts?

Holy crap I just wish I was in your position!

Just moved here so I cant help much.

Good luck to you I hope you nail a few wallhangers.

Back to antelope. I wasn't out there in 2010, but in '09, there were tons of antelope and lots of very nice bucks on the expansive BLM and STL lands in unit 3 just below the Wyoming border. Plus, there are many smaller parcels of public land holding goats in that area.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom