NR RAC MEETING

hogg_65

Bowhunt stays statewide
No spike hunting on all LE units
those are the big issues with me that they passed.

I left at 10pm after they had made it through only 2 of the Action items. Bonus points were way down the schedule on the agenda. They were probably discussing points at 1am when everyone was wishing they were in bed.

Should be noted that the statewide vs regional archery deer proposal was rejected unanimously by the northern RAC.

The spike hunt on LE units was also rejected 8 to 1.

This will be very interesting to see what the wildlife board does with the archery proposal. Like was said on the Southern RAC thread and confirmed last night, the southern region was in favor of the DWR recommendation. Kind of a Mason/Dixon line on this issue.

Strong work with the bow hunters showing up in numbers! The state already said they know how many bow hunters are in the southern region and that there is absolutely no biological reason behind the recommendation. I personally think this was the first step in trying to limit bow hunters access. I hope the main board meeting comes to the same conclusion. I left about 10 as well....

The board was against letting people buy bonus points for all species. It was noted in their discussion that this would simply clog the system.

They also voted to allow people to keep their bonus points indefinitely. It was an interesting fact pointed out by the DWR that if they cleared out people who haven't applied in the last 3 years it would reduce the number of people/points by around 32,000 (I can't remember the exact numbers.)

Overall I think the NR RAC members did a great job. I would strongly encourage archers to express appreciation to the RAC members for listening to the majority. I think they hear too much whining and not enough apprecation when they get something right.

Good turn out by bow hunters. I liked the way the DWR danced around Ryan Foutz questions about the No deer herd. If there were only 15 bucks and 100 does left in NO Utah the permit #'s would still be the same. WTH?

Does anyone know if the proposed changes to the Dedicated Hunter program were accepted or rejected?

Sounds like the Northern RAC have their heads on. Now if the wildlife board will listen.

I live in S. Utah and I think there's probably as many bowhunters down here who head up north for the extended archery, I doubt they'd be willing to give that up just to keep a few travellers out of their local areas.

I don't know who came up with the bright idea of allowing spike hunts on limited entry units but it should be nominated as the most boneheaded management idea of all time (besides the fishlake slaughter). Do any of you recall worse ideas than this one?

I agree the plan is not well thought out. I think they're trying to kill more bulls, but by doing it with spike hunts is absurd, especially with the amount of people they have in the LE pool. I understand that they need to kill more bulls "IF" they're estimates on bull to cow ratio are correct, but why don't they focus on bringing each unit up to capacity before they kill a bunch of spikes?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom