NRA: Pro USO

swivelhead

NRA is in bed with USO. The previous two issues of American Hunter have articles glorifying USO. I strongly urge you to contact NRA and let them know how you feel concerning this USO NRA partnership. I let NRA know I will renounce my membership if this "partnership" continues. NRA needs to know the Montoya verdict upped the price for all hunters, just what a money hungry outfitter wants. High finance should not control public hunting but that's what it's coming to. Dan

I totally agree and if someone puts the link up here we can send our comments. I think now is the time for hunters/outdoors people to make a stand on issues that take away from the central point of our hunting. USO did not do this for the betterment of wildlife, they did it to line their pockets. We are in a world of hurt if NRA endorses USO and their ethics...... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Where's the link? Could someone post it?

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I am a proud member of the NRA and believe in it's cause. That being said, NRA is now pandering to the hunting crowd because there are more hunters than shooters. I'd like to believe NRA is oblivious to the ramifications of Montoya suit. As a group we can make NRA aware of this oversight. Maybe the brass at NRA does'nt care about resident opportunities. I wonder who gets all the landowner tags at the Whittington Center, NRA brass, USO? Who knows? I accept NR quotas. I want to be able to hunt out of state and don't want to mortgage the house to do it. The average hunter won't be able to afford where sport is headed. Sorry for rambling, Dan

Dan, I know of a few guys that sent emails and letters to the NRA and they are aware of the issue. The problem here is they may not agree with our position. If they think the USO suit was going to bring more nonresident hunting opportunities to their rank and file they will support that position. George is very good at presenting his side of the story as such. There in lies the problem. it used to be some members and some VIP and some fee paid hunters could hunt Whittington but I couldn't tell you how it works today. You are correct the common man is going to be priced out of hunting for the premium animals. But we will always be able to shoot rabbit and squirrels because they don't have much commercial appeal. It might just be that we need to start cancelling our memberships and telling them why to get their attention.

I made the same observation back in Aug. No one commented then but I am glad that I am not the only one to take notice. Here is a copy of my post.

?Has any one looked into the NRA connection to the USO? I just received my September 2004 issue of American Hunter and read the article ?Elk Above The Clouds By A.E. Walsh.? In his article Walsh mentions George Taulman and the USO licensing program and how this is his second once in a lifetime permit that he has drawn with George. I am not sure how one goes about getting two once in a lifetime permits anyhow Walsh claims that USO came through for him twice. Not really important to the topic it just sounds funny. Perhaps Walsh is a freelance writer and the NRA or American Hunter have nothing to do with USO, but I bet they do. At the very least the sponsors of the USO advertise in the American Hunter and the National Rifleman, perhaps the NRA can help by applying some pressure to the USO and convince them that their effort will hurt hunting in the long run. After all we are the NRA, right. Why don't the AZ residents and any one concerned with this issue who is an NRA member contact the NRA and see what the NRA has to say about this situation, maybe someone has already? I would be curious to hear what they say. I am a member of the NRA and would be deeply disappointed if we the NRA supported the USO and there case against AZ.?

I just read the latest NRA magazine never seen anything or read anything about USO..October Issue.

October 2004, American Hunter heading tactics and technique, article written by Gary Clancy entitled "Don?t Make Me Angry" on page 81. In his article Clany makes two refences to USO guides, one in regard to guide Dave Huf and another to Griz Montoya. I have written the NRA voicing my concerns regarding the USO.

I have written to NRA and expressed my concerns about USO in their Magazine but have had no response

Remember magazines are often 3 months ahead. So if you wanted to change something in the next issue, it may not look like it was changed until you got 3 more issues.

I'll send in my dissappointment to NRA also. But often times it falls on deaf ears as you may not be the majority. I'm a competitive shooter. Almost anything the shooters ask for to be changed for the better or clarified goes unchanged or unanswered as we are minorities.

Jeff

here's the letter format with the email address.

https://www.nrahq.org/contact.asp

To Whom It May Concern:

I along with countless friends and fellow hunters are very disturbed by the recent lawsuits filed against Western States by USO. We view this as a selfish and greedy act to exploit our Individual States big game animals.

We do not approve of the way USO has attacked our legal systems and used loopholes and phony excuses regarding Constitutional rights to gain personal advantages regarding our State Game laws.

Hunters across the nation have been pitted against one another, East vs. West, Hunter against Hunter when our real fight should be against those who are trying to take away our weapons and hunting privileges all together.

I am aware that there are a lot of products out in the market for hunters, and will personally use the products that help stand up for the rights of Resident hunters. Numerous sponsors of USO have stepped up to the plate and made a stand on their beliefs, and I am hoping your company will do the same thing and make the right decision.

I respectfully request you reconsider your sponsorship with USO in favor of State Residents rights and also keeping the true meaning of ethics alive and well in our hunting communities.

Sincerely,

I sent my email 2 day?s ago. As soon as I get a response from the NRA I will post it. These guys are in it up to their ears. If enough people write they will get the message. In addition to contacting the NRA also send a letter to the editor of the American Hunter magazine. I guess they don't have email at American Hunter so send it via snail mail to:

American Hunter
11250 Waples Mill Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030-9400

WiNtErKiLLNV, man it's a chore attempting to type that handle!
GREAT letter.
We have to get their attention and now is as good as ever. They are already preparing for the fact Kerry could get elected and start on gunowners rights legislation. A loss in membership is something they don't want to have to deal with currently.
I hope this gets their attention just like USO sponsors felt the impact.

Just sent my letter. Hope the step up, and make the honorable decision.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Sent my 2-bits worth into the NRA. I hope everyone is doing the same. Sounds like a lot of you are, but we need to keep pushing it to everyone we know. We may not think we can afford some of the permit costs, but we surely can't afford to have USO around...
a*r

A bad day hunting is better than a Good Day at Work!!

I can agree with writing NRA and voicing your displeasure with their association with USO, but I do not agree with several members who intend to drop their membership with the NRA over this matter.
Just stop for a minute and remember that if it had not been for the work by the NRA, none of you will be hunting with firearms today. The NRA needs more support and members, and not members dropping their membership over such a trival matter when you compare it to your right to own firearms. I am sure that most of you will agree that ownership of firearms is far more important then this issue of fees being hiked due to USO and their lawsuit.
I think that a few of you need to cool off and look at the big picture and not consider dropping membership with the NRA, hell you should be trying to sign up new members.

RELH

How about everybody reading the post about USO needs to go down. Read what that says about contacting all outdoor publications and getting our message heard across the nation.

I sent a second message to the NRA. I got no response to my first. I want to know why the NRA and Free Hunters have not issued a position on this issue? I'm not sure what the answer to the USO problem is, but I know this mess is not good for the future of hunting. I understand residents preference and also want to be able to continue to hunt out of state myself. I have never used a guide, haven't needed one, have all my own gear. If a body wants to use a guide that is their right but the outfitter business does not need to write the rules.

Phantom Hunter

I definately agree with this RELH.

What ever your opinions about USO and the "for profit" organizations that are or were sponsoring their shows... the NRA is a powerful political organization that has done, is doing and will do in the future far and away more to benefit hunters and firearms owners than the fiasco that USO has brought.

--------------------------------------------
Patience my @$$ I want to shoot somethin'...

So now if I continue to support the NRA I will have a safe full of guns but because of USO won't be able to afford the tag fees to use them. I wrote the NRA and did not threaten to pull my support just asked that they would open their eyes and realize that the "commercialization" of hunting by groups like USO is bad for everyone.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom