Nug's Blacktails?

No Doubt that buck was a freaking TOAD!! :)

I really got mixed emotions from that show. Correct me if i'm wrong here but the first buck he shot in front of the shoulder and it was a spike...the second buck he shot was the TOAD "High Book" non typ with the cheaters, crown points, drops, not to mention the bucks awesome 5X5 main frame, shot in the Ham...then he shot the 3X2 in the guts, then again by a second follow-up shot to a hind end quarter...WTF??

I thought spikes weren't legal
I thought you were limited ti 2 bucks in Kali
I thought the Nuge was a better shot than that
I thought he was a bit giddy having almost lost that TOAD

Ted, as a hunter, lost a few points with me from this episode, that's for sure!

Joey

I saw the show last night and could not beleive what I was seeing! A couple of terrible shots for sure. A buddy of mine knows the guys he was hunting with and asked about the spike and killing three deer and was told that the first deer was killed in 08' and the last two in 09' and never got anything more out of his buddy about the spike. The toad is a great buck, just not a pure blacktail as it was killed near placerville(maybe Coleman Houston would have entered it as a pure blacktail!) Uncle Ted drops a few notches to me after watching that.

CABugle

The first deer looked like a spike to me he said it was a forked horn I must have bad eyes plus he said it was a nice forked horn. The second deer was the biggest blacktail I have ever seen great deer.

Yeah! That first buck was a slick spike, not much doubt about that. I heard him say it was a nice "forky" but sounded like he had to cough or something while he said it. I'll bet he had just got his butt chewed! :)

I know Ted is a Whackem stackem type of guy but he's gotta play by the rules too. Don't know that i buy the 08' hunt...everything just looked too much like it was the exact same couple days. Not saying it wasn't or trying to stir the pot but i gotta believe ol Ted broke a couple long established laws, not to mention his poor shot selections and Tred Barta like accuracy skills. Poor show Nuge!!!

Joey

Yea terrible shots by ted. Also looked like a spike to me. Did you see how he was holding the top of the horns and never showed a close up of the buck like he did with the others! Ted is a great sportsman but lose a few notches in my book.

I'm afraid a "mature buck" to Ted is any buck with a heartbeat.

I didn't see it but it will be interesting to see how this "spike" thing plays out. Why would they show that on TV? WOW!!!

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

I replied on the "General Hunting" forum, "Uncle Ted".
In a nutshell, ...I like him, ...Pis poor production, ... and I ain't seen IT yet!
I've got my biggest buck that came from , about 15-20 miles north/ west of P'ville, in D-4. 192+- nontypical cross.
He's on the wall in a duck lodge in Merrill, Oregon. ....Just down the street from Pappy Gander's.

Not seeing why the fool is a hero to so many of you. He has no ethics as a hunter. Lets make a pin cushion out of another buck when you ham shoot a buck earlier and don't show yourself looking or explaining what happened to the big buck. Way to many wrong points to that show. Show the veiwers that you want to harvest an animal with a little compasion. Sitting in your stand all giggles over a ham shot is not good hunting ethics in my book.

The article I read said they were hunting near Placerville.
Those bucks would not be Blacktails according to Boone & Crockett's geographical boundaries.
HH

The show is scheduled to be aired again tonight on the Outdoor Ch. at 9pm Pacific time.

I doubt that they will show this episode again, i wouldn't, but they might. I'm again going to look closely, easy enough as the deer is filmed only feet away, at what i'm pretty sure was a spike buck that Ted shot. Couple guys have said it was a fork-spike... if that's the case, so be it, but that's not what i saw the first go round.

Joey

I have not seen the show, but I understand the criticism. But Ted didn't have to air the show. I'm sure we've all taken shots that were poorly placed or mis-guided. Sometimes the excitement takes over and things don't work out as planned and bad judgements are made. How many of you have had the pleasure of having all clean kills since the inception of your first tag? I would consider myself an accomplished hunter and very ethical in the field, but I made a bad shot this year and was very embarassed and ashamed. The animal was still harvested, but I still considered hanging up my rifle because of my poor judgement. I totally over-estimated my ability and was a little too cocky. I continued later in the year to have a clean kill on a great bull in New Mexico. I'd air the bull hunt anyday, but I'd never have the guts to air the goat hunt. How many of you would be willing to air your not-so-clean harvests or just wounding an animal and not being able to find or retrieve it?
I'll bet Ted has done more to preserve hunting and our gun rights here in the U.S. than most of us on MM. While he should be a little embarassed, he still allowed it to be aired and it is real life. Things don't always go as planned, remember that the next time you choke and wound an animal. You probablly wouldn't be so hard on your best hunting buddies.

I have to agree with what most people have been saying here. I recorded the show and couldn't believe my eyes! I kept playing back the scenes and I couldn't see a fork on the '08 buck at all! They have pretty good footage of the buck before he shoots it and I can't say that I saw anything remotely close to a fork.

As for the other two bucks, the shots were all terrible shots. I'm not saying that I've never shot a buck in a bad spot, but I'd certainly show some remorse and concern and I'd definitely never celebrate the shot on national television! He didn't need to say that he was napping while the other guys attempted to retrieve his buck. After seeing the show, I'm afraid that the rumors circling these hunts will turn out to be true.

Like what other people have said....Uncle Ted, and his zeal to sell a show, has dropped a few notches in my book.

Hammnit

Hammit....If you need specifics just ask...after all he sat in my portable stand during the first hunt...and hunted with some of my buddies on the first and second hunt...and in a debate he'd eat you alive..he ate tri tip bbq'd over a barrel..yes cooked by another one of my hunting buddies...he may put on an act on camera, but he's a very straight forward down to earth guy...and law abiding.

Check out the bbq stain!!
99692009_09040043.jpg

Here's the buck!!
98892009_09040020.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-10 AT 09:50AM (MST)[p]I'm glad that you had the pleasure to hang out with Uncle Ted and I'm not looking to get into a debate with him. I've heard his radio show and watched his TV shows and I've always found him very well versed in his defense of hunting and entertaining. I had heard of this particular hunt, seen the pictures and was watch him take an animal that wasn't in a high fence or over bait. This his why I was totally shocked (and sickened) to see this particular episode.

We all know that bad things can happen when you drop the string or hammer on an animal. Sometimes, nothing can prevent this. Other times, a mistake is made that could have changed the outcome. The times where poor judgement is to blame, what's most important, is how you handle it later. We can all understand getting excited, taking a bad shot and A$$ shooting a big buck. Without knowing all the circumstances of the recovery, all I can say is that my perception was that he really wasn't too upset about it. This perception is based on his comment that he was napping while others recovered the buck from the neighboring property, who didn't allow hunting. Also solidifying this perception was the fact that he gut shot the very next buck and followed that up with another one in the hams!

You said that you felt like hanging up your rifle after getting excited and making a bad shot. I've had a similar experience with my bow and I totally understand your mind set. However, it sounds like you (similar to me) made sure that the same mistake wasn't made the next time.

I know you have first or second hand knowledge of the hunt and that's great, but I would recommend watching the show for yourself. You may see why people are disappointed in Ted for airing it. I feel like it's no different than wiping off the blood from the kill photos. Just cause it's real life doesn't mean that you have to put it out there for the whole world to see.

PS. I'd still like to see the fork on the first one!

>LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-10
>AT 09:50?AM (MST)

>
>I'm glad that you had the
>pleasure to hang out with
>Uncle Ted and I'm not
>looking to get into a
>debate with him. I've
>heard his radio show and
>watched his TV shows and
>I've always found him very
>well versed in his defense
>of hunting and entertaining.
>I had heard of this
>particular hunt, seen the pictures
>and was watch him take
>an animal that wasn't in
>a high fence or over
>bait. This his why
>I was totally shocked (and
>sickened) to see this particular
>episode.
>
>We all know that bad things
>can happen when you drop
>the string or hammer on
>an animal. Sometimes, nothing
>can prevent this. Other
>times, a mistake is made
>that could have changed the
>outcome. The times where
>poor judgement is to blame,
>what's most important, is how
>you handle it later.
>We can all understand getting
>excited, taking a bad shot
>and A$$ shooting a big
>buck. Without knowing all
>the circumstances of the recovery,
>all I can say is
>that my perception was that
>he really wasn't too upset
>about it. This perception is
>based on his comment that
>he was napping while others
>recovered the buck from the
>neighboring property, who didn't allow
>hunting. Also solidifying this
>perception was the fact that
>he gut shot the very
>next buck and followed that
>up with another one in
>the hams!
>
>You said that you felt like
>hanging up your rifle after
>getting excited and making a
>bad shot. I've had
>a similar experience with my
>bow and I totally understand
>your mind set. However,
>it sounds like you (similar
>to me) made sure that
>the same mistake wasn't made
>the next time.
>
>I know you have first or
>second hand knowledge of the
>hunt and that's great, but
>I would recommend watching the
>show for yourself. You
>may see why people are
>disappointed in Ted for airing
>it. I feel like
>it's no different than wiping
>off the blood from the
>kill photos. Just cause
>it's real life doesn't mean
>that you have to put
>it out there for the
>whole world to see.
>
>PS. I'd still like to
>see the fork on the
>first one!

I respect your opinion, great post. If I had pictures from the first hunt I'd post those for you.

This has been an interesting topic and i'd like to Thank everyone for keeping it "nice" in light of the rather unsettling observations.

tesmitty, I hope you understand where the most of us are coming from. Yes, we do recognize all that Ted does in his shows that benefit all of us who own guns and hunt. I've long been a fan of him myself though i don't always exactly agree with some of his hunting techniques. It takes Tons of balls to stand up and shout out for our gun and hunting rights the way Ted does...that goes without saying and you just have to, at least partially, respect and admire a guy like that!

My concerns though, were if he came to our State of Calif. and broke the law. I'm not saying that he did but it sure looks as if he did and so far, there has been no proof that he didn't. I'd like to see a good pic of the fork on that buck! I saw plenty of footage that clearly, showed no fork so this isn't a case of innocent until proven guilty, it's the film showing clearly, that that buck was a slick horn rat and Ted later mumbling about how it's a mature forky??. Let's see it! I can not imagine there was no trophy photo that shows the fork. If it were there i'm thinking, it would have been shown, if nothing else than, to quell the wrath of potential doubters like myself.

If Ted shot a spike, then he should man up, be subjected the same as anyone else who made the same mistake...and a mistake it very well could have been, ignorance of our forked horn law, but that, or his celebrity good guy reputation, doesn't release him from the same responsibilities that the rest of us have to go by. And, to show himself shooting this buck on TV, IMO, that's just rubbing our noses in the dirt that he doesn't have to go by the same rules that we do.

As i said above, regardless of what anyone can possibly say in his defense, from what i saw in that single TV episode, the whole show not just this one part, i've lost some respect for Uncle Ted and truly wish i'd never seen it!

Joey

Good post. I respect Ted for his opinions and the guts to stand up for them, but I played that footage back several times, in slo mo too, and I think he shot a spike. Has anyone emailed the Outdoor Channel? Or any of Ted's sponsors? Can anyone confirm for certain? tesmitty, you sound like you know the situation. What happened? Did he shoot a spike or not? And if so, why is nothing being done about it?

I would think if he shot a spike he wouldn't air the evidence on his show. I wasn't there to witness his hunt, but he did sit in my portable stands that I built. I can ask, but if he did shoot a spike, I don't think one of the guys that were there would say "yes". He could've been a moron and not have read the Ca regs., spikes are classified as legal in many of the western states, I hope that isn't the case. Maybe I can get my hands on the pictures from the first hunt and maybe i should watch the first episode.

I hope you are right. I sure watched it numerous times and all I saw was a spike. The images were pretty clear too. You are also right that that would be a legal buck in a lot of western states. I hope Ted wasn't thinking that way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom