NV 033 early antelope hunt

S

saltynuts

My wife drew the NV 033 early antelope hunt (Aug. 22-27). We live in Reno area and are planning a scouting trip next week. My wife is a novice hunter (never taken a big game animal) and is not looking for a B&C trophy. I know weather will most likely be hot and I'm looking at making this hunt enjoyable for my wife. I've driven thru the Sheldon refuge before hunting 011 for antelope, but never hunted the Sheldon. Trying to decide whether to take out travel trailer to Virgin Valley or Fish Creek campgrounds, or to "commute" out of the Cedarville motel. Any experienced Sheldon hunters out there with words of advice for antelope hunting?

There is plenty of room for your trailer in the Sheldon campgrounds, check out this thread http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID41/1897.html.
Commuting from Cedarville would be a nightmare in my opinion. Keep in mind there is no fuel at Denio this summer so make sure you bring some or plan accordingly. Also, definitely invest in at least one extra spare tire, roads up there are rough and notorious for eating tires alive. Your wife has a great tag, good luck to you!

It will be interesting to see if they close the roads like last year because of fire danger. All but main roads were closed.
I'd camp at fish camp. The road east of there to echo canyon and around to catnip res. you would see plenty of animals from the road. even west from there to the 011 border you'll probably see lopers.

I know this area really well have have hunted it for years. If I were in your shoes, I would tow the trailer and park it at Dufferena where they have showers and a hot spring to relax in the evening. From there you can pretty much access anywhere on the Sheldon you might want to go and it will be much more comfortable for her. Remember that the Denio Gas station is out of service so I am told so bring extra fuel with you for whatever you will be driving around. There are decent bucks pretty much everywhere and she shouldn't have a problem filling the tag. I will be up there for the archery deer hunt next weekend and will keep my eyes open. Give me a ring, 775-354-9766

Agree with everything said above. DO bring extra tires!! Dufferena is a decent campground with hotsprings showers, fishing ponds, don't expect paved parking etc, but it is ok. Fish Springs is basicly camping spots, last time i was there there was a trickle of water but not much. You wont have trouble finding animals and should have a good hunt! You could probably just about sit in camp at Fish Springs and shoot your animal!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom