NV 111-115 Bull

3TOE

Very Active Member
To start… I have to say thank you to every MM member that took the time to share their experiences in my hunting area. I sincerely appreciate ALL of the wisdom & advice that I received through posts, PM, phone calls & texts.

It’s been 3 days since I tagged out & everything is just now really setting in. It’s pretty surreal… it was a really tough hunt & being rewarded in the end with a mature animal like that, is emotional to wrap my mind around. I devoted a ton of time & research into the hunt & I’m amazed that I was able to find success with really very little knowledge & experience with elk. I really feel like God blessed me with the entire experience.

For hunters like like myself being from back east, I never imagined I would have the opportunity to go on a hunt like that. After just 3 days of climbing into the mountains, I was completely whooped & was seriously starting to lose a little hope. I was at peace with going home empty handed, because I just enjoyed being out there & seeing things I had never seen. You really get a sense of how small you really are out there when you see how big the country is & how rough the mountains can be.

After not seeing a bull to go after on Thursday morning, myself & my hunting party went back to camp, ate some breakfast & I decided to resort to plan B. We drove over to 115 South of Garrison & almost immediately located a herd of 38 elk in an ag field on private property on the UT side. We watched the herd bed for nearly 2 hours before getting up on their feet & feeding back into the field. As only dumb luck can predict, the entire herd started moving toward the corner of the ag. I drove the truck down the road maybe 600 yards & watched for maybe 30 more minutes, before I got my gear together & moved down a ditch where I found some cover & could still see them at maybe 800 yards. As luck would have it, after about an hour, they came down to the corner. When the lead cow jumped the fence, I knew it was going to happen. My bull waited until roughly 80% had crossed the fence & road into NV before he crossed himself. Once I was certain he was inside BLM, I ranged him at 368 & shot it for 350 yards. I fired 3 rounds from my 300WSM to put him down even though I was certain that the 2nd shot really hurt him & I'm sure he would have gone down. I just sat there for roughly a minute to collect myself before standing to my feet. I could hear my hunting party coming closer laughing & cheering for what they had just witnessed. As I walked toward the hill & saw them I was instantly hit with a flood of emotions. My eyes welled up with tears as I felt an excited smile get bigger & bigger. We all exchanged hugs & handshakes while I tried to grasp what had just happened. I’m grateful to have had friends & family with me on this hunt to share in that experience with me. I will NEVER forget one minute of this hunt, both the rough & the good.

IMG_5090.jpeg
IMG_5094.jpeg
IMG_9425.jpeg
IMG_9406.jpeg
IMG_7050.jpeg

To start… I have to say thank you to every MM member that took the time to share their experiences in my hunting area. I sincerely appreciate ALL of the wisdom & advice that I received through posts, PM, phone calls & texts.

It’s been 3 days since I tagged out & everything is just now really setting in. It’s pretty surreal… it was a really tough hunt & being rewarded in the end with a mature animal like that, is emotional to wrap my mind around. I devoted a ton of time & research into the hunt & I’m amazed that I was able to find success with really very little knowledge & experience with elk. I really feel like God blessed me with the entire experience.

For hunters like like myself being from back east, I never imagined I would have the opportunity to go on a hunt like that. After just 3 days of climbing into the mountains, I was completely whooped & was seriously starting to lose a little hope. I was at peace with going home empty handed, because I just enjoyed being out there & seeing things I had never seen. You really get a sense of how small you really are out there when you see how big the country is & how rough the mountains can be.

After not seeing a bull to go after on Thursday morning, myself & my hunting party went back to camp, ate some breakfast & I decided to resort to plan B. We drove over to 115 South of Garrison & almost immediately located a herd of 38 elk in an ag field on private property on the UT side. We watched the herd bed for nearly 2 hours before getting up on their feet & feeding back into the field. As only dumb luck can predict, the entire herd started moving toward the corner of the ag. I drove the truck down the road maybe 600 yards & watched for maybe 30 more minutes, before I got my gear together & moved down a ditch where I found some cover & could still see them at maybe 800 yards. As luck would have it, after about an hour, they came down to the corner. When the lead cow jumped the fence, I knew it was going to happen. My bull waited until roughly 80% had crossed the fence & road into NV before he crossed himself. Once I was certain he was inside BLM, I ranged him at 368 & shot it for 350 yards. I fired 3 rounds from my 300WSM to put him down even though I was certain that the 2nd shot really hurt him & I'm sure he would have gone down. I just sat there for roughly a minute to collect myself before standing to my feet. I could hear my hunting party coming closer laughing & cheering for what they had just witnessed. As I walked toward the hill & saw them I was instantly hit with a flood of emotions. My eyes welled up with tears as I felt an excited smile get bigger & bigger. We all exchanged hugs & handshakes while I tried to grasp what had just happened. I’m grateful to have had friends & family with me on this hunt to share in that experience with me. I will NEVER forget one minute of this hunt, both the rough & the good.

View attachment 125935View attachment 125936View attachment 125937View attachment 125938View attachment 125939
In the third pic, if it’s comins, you can see where I was camping for our 221-223 hunt. Congrats on a nice bull!!

Always knew you would do it, man. You have an amazing team right there. Congratulations on a well deserved bull.

Now let's work on that 300 PRC :p

I appreciate it man. My group was with me every step of the way for sure. Thanks!

No doubt on the 300PRC. I have to get that rifle ready for my 2025 CO elk hunt with Wiszard. ??
Ah Sh!t.....I thought it was 2024. LOL!

Congrats on a great bull, Jorma. I know you put a bunch of time and effort on making sure you were going to have a good time...and be successful on this hunt. If it were too easy, it wouldn't feel so good. And you guys even got some fishing in....even better.

Ah Sh!t.....I thought it was 2024. LOL!

Congrats on a great bull, Jorma. I know you put a bunch of time and effort on making sure you were going to have a good time...and be successful on this hunt. If it were too easy, it wouldn't feel so good. And you guys even got some fishing in....even better.
? Nope… 2025 Steve. Want to rethink that UT trip again? ???

Thanks man! We all had a great time & a ton of laughs. It was a grind for the first few days, but ended above expectation.
I tried to mix it up for my nephew & his buddy. Neither of them have been fishing since they were kids. It was fun watching how excited they got catching a few trout. It was a great trip for sure man.

Ohhhh, yeahhh! Congrats man. Happy for you. I think we discussed your plan B a couple different times. Glad it worked out for you. Great Bull Mr!

Ohhhh, yeahhh! Congrats man. Happy for you. I think we discussed your plan B a couple different times. Glad it worked out for you. Great Bull Mr!
I appreciate it man!!! Thank you for your guidance & recommendations for my hunt. I appreciate you taking the time to help. Please let me know if I can ever reciprocate down the road. 👍🏻

I Think You BLAZED A Trail Right To Him!:D
Sort of… 😂 There was a 2 track running down along the fence, which put me about 40 yards from him. After locking in 4WD low, I had to plow through 8” tall grass & at least 1 sage brush bush. It was sketchy for sure, but saving 20 yards on the pack out was worth the wear & tear on the truck 😂

Sort of… 😂 There was a 2 track running down along the fence, which put me about 40 yards from him. After locking in 4WD low, I had to plow through 8” tall grass & at least 1 sage brush bush. It was sketchy for sure, but saving 20 yards on the pack out was worth the wear & tear on the truck 😂
Lmmfao, good work 3TOE…. I like it…

Congratulations 3toe !!! great pictures and story
Thank you & thanks also for sharing your knowledge of the area. It was your direction & the comments of a few others that provided enough intel for me to switch gears several days into the hunt & leave 111 to see what I could turn up in 115. 👍🏻

Great story, what can are you using? Thanks.
Thanks man! It’s a Gunwerks 6IX. I bought it for a 6.5 PRC that I have & it works great on that rifle. It doesn’t do a lot for the 300 WSM. It still kicks like a mule, but it does reduce the overall percussion. I need to go ahead & bite the bullet on a bigger can. Had I known what I know now, I would have gone with a larger option, I was just trying to save weight.
I damaged my left ear last November with a muzzle brake & have had ringing in my ear since. I figured the little can was better than nothing on the short mag.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom