NV F&G Boss Man.......

kilowatt

LAST EDITED ON Dec-20-07 AT 10:27PM (MST)[p]Just recently read where they have hired a new man to take over the Nevada Fish & Game Dept., stated he was from California.
His name is Ken Mayer and there was an article about him and his history of work jobs, pretty accomplished man.
Hope that this doesn't bring any bad feeling with hunters, guess the man is good at doing the job.
This article was in the January 2008 issue of Rocky Mountain Game & Fish magazine.

Brian

Brian,

From what I hear the NDOW guys in the game division were way more than ready for a change which to me should be good news for hunters. If the biologists thinks it's ok, it probably is. And that should mean it's good for us. I don't think the fact he is from out of state is a bad thing. Sometimes it's good to get new blood.

Just my thoughts.

I guess I was just surprised that NV didn't promote within their own people. But then I guess you wouldn't want what we deal with here, lame wristed libs.

Hope that he works out for everyone there. Time will tell huh!

Brian

Some might say that promoting from within is why we are where we are today, both good and bad. I just know that several of the bios I know personally were either on the verge of quitting or took an earlier than plannwed retirement because of the frustrations with the past administration.

i guess we will just have to see what this new dude can get done. hopefully he is good

LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-07 AT 00:17AM (MST)[p]You guys have the very best draw system, trophy deer, elk, antelope plus 3 species of sheep and you're gonna trust this with a guy from Kali????? WTF? Next thing mountain lions will out number deer in NV.

Just my frustration of dealing with Kali F&G for 35 years. Politics runs our F&G, not science.

>LAST EDITED ON Dec-29-07
>AT 00:17?AM (MST)

>
>You guys have the very best
>draw system, trophy deer, elk,
>antelope plus 3 species of
> sheep and you're gonna
>trust this with a guy
>from Kali????? WTF?
> Next thing mountain lions
>will out number deer in
>NV.

That's the problem right now in many units in the state, Way too many lions.

Hopefully the new Boss will agree it's well past time to get after them.

Rumor I heard was that he was to "radical" for Cali, so he may fit the bill in Nevada. I hope he works out.

I second that!! Wish for the best and expect the worst, you'll never be disappointed that way.

I truly hope he works out for you (us)and it probably wasn't fair of me to stereotype him just cause he worked for CF&G.

I just hope he cuts the elk tags way way down. Thats all i ask.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-08 AT 03:05PM (MST)[p]It would be alright if he cuts tags, increases the rainfall and gives me a PIW tag his first year. He will be my new hero:)

Timber you sure look alot like Cameron Hanes are you brothers or are you.....him:)

>That's the problem right now in
>many units in the state,
>Way too many lions.
>
>Hopefully the new Boss will agree
>it's well past time to
>get after them.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this. Talk to any lion hunter in Northern Nevada. Guys that used to find 3-4 fresh tracks per day are now hunting for a week to find one. Could be different in the south where there's less snow I suppose.

Nevada probably has the most liberal lion regs in the country. 365 day season, buy two tags over the counter. What more do you want?

Think there's too many lions? Go buy a tag and hunt em.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-31-08 AT 06:24PM (MST)[p]>>That's the problem right now in
>>many units in the state,
>>Way too many lions.
>>
>>Hopefully the new Boss will agree
>>it's well past time to
>>get after them.
>
>
>I'm gonna have to disagree with
>you on this. Talk
>to any lion hunter in
>Northern Nevada. Guys that
>used to find 3-4 fresh
>tracks per day are now
>hunting for a week to
>find one. Could be
>different in the south where
>there's less snow I suppose.
>
>
>Nevada probably has the most liberal
>lion regs in the country.
> 365 day season, buy
>two tags over the counter.
> What more do you
>want?
>
>Think there's too many lions?
>Go buy a tag and
>hunt em.

Most people I know who live in Nevada agree lions are a major problem to Mule Deer. The Lion quota is just under 350 but how many do they really kill? I couldn't find the harvest data from last year.
The Lion population in Nevada numbers between 3500- 5000 or more depending on who you believe. Times that number by one deer a week and it's not hard to see why Mule Deer in Nevada aren't doing so well.

When I used to hunt north of Elko I would find at least two lion killed Deer every year and some decent bucks too. I found three one year within 400 yards of each other and I always had an uneasy feeling in that spot. I could swear I was being watched.

I doubt most Lion hunters are having to hunt a week to cut a track. If they are I think they are in the wrong place.
I'll stick to my original comments that lions are a major issue in Nevada.
Here'a few links to some interesting articles on Lions in Nevada.

Here's a link to the Granite deer research area.

http://www.huntersalert.org/newslet...When_is_something_going_to_be_done_about_it?/

http://www.nevadadeerherd.com/

Read the section on lions.

http://www.nevadaoutfitters.biz/wildernesshunts.html

Excaliber
I see and understand your concerns with lions and deer populations in Nevada, but I have heard the same things from lion hunters in Nevada that fullcurl has heard. I run into lion hunters quite frequently when I am hunting chukar in Nevada, and they are not having the easiest time finding tracks. I have talked to a couple of houndsman that have hunted lions for 2-3 decades in Nevada, and they echo that they are not finding as many tracks or lions that did 20 years ago. On top of this I cover a good chunk of ground each year during chukar season, and I maybe find 1 or 2 lion tracks per year, and I do hunt chukar in areas where deer winter, so you would think there would be lions there also. I am not too confident in anybody?s lion population estimate for Nevada, because of the fact that lions are very secretive and hard to find. It's not like you can just go out and glass for them like rest of the big game species, and count a far number of them.

I am not sure what more there can be done to harvest more lions in Nevada. You can buy 2 tags per year, and hunt year round. I also thought that when the fish and game heard of a lion problem they would contact out to a Gov. Trapper to go take care of the lion, as is apparent in the Depredation Lion Harvest. I was able to find the lion harvest link for you the lion stuff starts on page 44 of the link. I would be curious to hear what suggestions you have to harvest more lions in Nevada?

http://www.ndow.org/about/pubs/reports/BGS_Appendix_tables.pdf

>Excaliber
>I see and understand your concerns
>with lions and deer populations
>in Nevada, but I have
>heard the same things from
>lion hunters in Nevada that
>fullcurl has heard. I
>run into lion hunters quite
>frequently when I am hunting
>chukar in Nevada, and they
>are not having the easiest
>time finding tracks. I
>have talked to a couple
>of houndsman that have hunted
>lions for 2-3 decades in
>Nevada, and they echo that
>they are not finding as
>many tracks or lions that
>did 20 years ago.
>On top of this I
>cover a good chunk of
>ground each year during chukar
>season, and I maybe find
>1 or 2 lion tracks
>per year, and I do
>hunt chukar in areas where
>deer winter, so you would
>think there would be lions
>there also. I am
>not too confident in anybody?s
>lion population estimate for Nevada,
>because of the fact that
>lions are very secretive and
>hard to find. It's
>not like you can just
>go out and glass for
>them like rest of the
>big game species, and count
>a far number of them.
>
>
>I am not sure what more
>there can be done to
>harvest more lions in Nevada.
> You can buy 2
>tags per year, and hunt
>year round. I also
>thought that when the fish
>and game heard of a
>lion problem they would contact
>out to a Gov. Trapper
>to go take care of
>the lion, as is apparent
>in the Depredation Lion Harvest.
> I was able to
>find the lion harvest link
>for you the lion stuff
>starts on page 44 of
>the link. I would
>be curious to hear what
>suggestions you have to harvest
>more lions in Nevada?
>
>http://www.ndow.org/about/pubs/reports/BGS_Appendix_tables.pdf

Thanks for the link. Only 168 Lions killed? That's not very many considering the estimated lion population. I agree that's it's hard to get a good lion count.
I've never seen a lion in Nevada. I've only seen lion kills and I've seen quite a few from the mid to late 90's.
I'll tell you one thing though. Being alone and seeing all those kills in a relatively small area has you looking over your shoulder a bit.

Maybe I was in the right spot as far as deer/lion numbers to see those kills.

I think the lion population is alive and well on the western side of the state. You need to think about the miles in their territory. Increase in lions in Cali are certainly affecting 015,011,021 and so on. I would guess there is a large percentage of lions living on the border which in turn allows them to walk the line. I do not know much about the rest of the state, maybe restrictions for the east are in order? In my opinion keep up the good work. Kill em all:)

I have also had a sitution that made me look over my shoulder. It is not a good feeling especially when your out in big county all alone.

I agree, kill the kittys.

Timberline
479e683e07df5b74.jpg

"Live for somethin' or die for nothin'"

My lion experences in Nevada are unit 140-fresh tracks on rock ledge where they (2) were watching us climb the mountain, Lone tracks just west of Soldier Meadows while chukar hunting, multiple fresh deer kills in East Humboldts during deer migration-snow crusty- lions on top, deer busting through and fresh tracks last month near Vya. These were experences in the last 5 years and all in snow.

I'll bet these cover 50% of my Nevada time in the snow the last 5 years. BUT I've scene 2 in Kali in the same time.

I sure wish i new were all these lions are in Nevada.Ive done 4 three day trips and havent turned out yet..Keep in mind there are 4 of us and were running 30-40 miles a day on sleds....The only guys making out are the gas stations and hotels.PLUS,Talking to others, most of the other guys running arent seeing much either...

Yeah, I will agree that there may be isolated places that are suffering from an overload of lions, but I get tired of people blaming lions for a lack of deer statewide. I just returned from yet another unsuccessful weekend of lion hunting.

I've found that those blaming lions for Nevada's deer problems have never actually gotten on a snowmobile in January and gone out looking for lion tracks.

Wanna point your finger at something for hurting deer numbers, look at cheat grass in Northern NV, and old growth Pinion/Juniper forests in Central NV. Deer can't eat either one.

excaliber,

I almost read your input here until I saw that your source was The Enquirer. I mean Hunters Alert! :) . Do you actually believe anything they write?

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom