NV - worth it?

MNHunter

I've been applying for 7 years now in many states. I've beat the odds a couple times and drew OIL tags though I haven't drawn the holy grail (IMO) of tags?a sheep tag. I skip OR, CA, ID, & NV. Every year I think about putting in for NV and building points but never do. I think I'd be like 18 years behind now. I know all about how they square points etc. What do you guys think? Do you all apply for NV because you get 3 sheep species for the lic fee? I'm still relatively young (30), should I just do it? I supposed I'd apply for Elk as well but that be about it...is NV worth it?

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

If you ever want to draw a desert sheep tag NV could be your best chance. There are some units (certainly not the best sheep gene units) that have pretty decent odds, even for NR. The game is expensive any way you look at it, but if you are 30, you still have lots of years to draw. Good luck!

If you live far away (Minnesota I assume) and will only be applying for deer and elk, I would consider skipping Nevada.

It will take you 5-10 years to draw a deer tag and probably 12-15 years to draw an elk tag and you'll have quite a bit of money invested by the time you get a tag.

With those same dollars you could purchase permits/guided hunts in many other states.

If money is not any issue then throw your name in the hat.

If you are hoping to draw a Desert Sheep Tag then Nevada is a must apply for state. Just know that there's a chance you may never draw that permit in your lifetime, but it is possible.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-01-10 AT 03:35PM (MST)[p]Its a good question. I guess it depends on what you really want to hunt. Mountain goat is next to impossible. However, if you are really interested in hunting the other species its actually not too bad. $140 or so dollars for a license plus around $13.50 additional per species.

6 species= $221 (my numbers are probably a little off)

Around $37 dollars per species.

Its always hard to say if its "worth it". It sounds obvious but it is worth it if you draw and you will never draw if you don't put in. Think about it: If you applied for deer and elk only, you would be about $84 per species. Given the kingcrows odds, you would draw a deer tag around year seven. So you have spent $584+253 (for the tag)and are now into it for around $838 dollars to draw this tag and remember, you will already have the tag since you have already purchased the license.

I don't think you will "buy" a tag for this cost. Also, whatever you are charged for buying the tag, you will still need to buy a license.

Good luck

If you are thirty and can afford it, apply and build points for all species. I can almost guarantee at some point over the next thirty years, you will be glad you did.

I didn't draw a non resident 032 california sheep tag and I had 17 points, so think about that scenario also

See the thread titled Applications, Drawings and is it worth it on this forum. If you have the spare cash and you are only thirty, you need to apply in NV for a desert sheep tag. NV is really your only chance of getting a sheep tag outside of old Mexico. NV really is a pretty decent state to apply and draw a tag in. I concur with most comments above.
Good luck.
WyMo

I too have narrowed down my states to apply for sheep in but I have already drawn in Colo and in Utah so it is very do-able if you apply.

With no Nv. non-ressy Rocky tag this year and no option to go for the point only-Rocky- it might not hurt to think it through.

Those up to 10% states have gotten me a little leary to apply as no non-ressy could actually draw a tag....lke Cali Desert Ram...for example.

You will kiss goodbye ----like woodruff said----right at $235-$240 just to apply in Nv.

I say go for it!

Robb

We wouldn't be doing a lot of things, if you really thought the "worth it" part out. But, NV and AZ are musts if you want a pratyer at a desert bighorn tag. Odds are you never will get one, but your odds it is a reasistic possibility in your life if you do NV and AZ every year..those two states each offer more nonresident desert tags than all the other states combined, by several times...

Thanks Guy, and yes wyomoosehunter, I did read through your write-up that is what got me thinking about NV again. I consider myself pretty informed when it comes to drawings?I guess when I started applying places 7 years ago I skipped NV due to lack of funds. Over the years I continually thought about it but figured I was so far behind. I understand one can draw with 0 points but I guess I was leary of jumping in at $200 a pop being 15, 16 or more points behind! As I said, I'd probably apply for the sheep and elk?.mt goat looks like a pipe dream and I've got other states going for one of those. I guess I didn't realize the odds for a Desert Bighorn were that good in NV?guess I was missing out! I guess I'll add NV to my collection of states!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

To be honest, if I were starting out I wouldn't apply in Nevada unless I had plenty enough extra cash and-or were obsessed about a desert sheep. I would just save up and go hunt dalls or Alaskan moose or Asian sheep or something. The reason I say this is because the odds of drawing most tags just get worse and worse every year. Just look at the point creep in many states, I have 6 bighorn points in Wy for resident sheep, and I will be over 80 years old before I have a reasonable chance to draw, I drew Colo. area 61 first season elk two times in a row with two preference points, I now have 12 points, and it takes 14 points. 17 years ago the odds of drawing a nonresident Pahvant elk tag in Utah were 2 in 28, look at the odds now. Twenty years ago it was at least ten times easier to draw quality tags, And if that trend continues ?

I have beat myself up over the same question the past couple years.

My decision is to pass on Nevada. Of course, I'm a lot closer to fifty years old than thirty. I figure the only species I stand a reasonable chance of drawing in Nevada is mule deer....and I can hunt those in Colorado every year with zero points.

Yeah, the number of sheep tags available makes it tempting, but my best odds for sheep are in Colorado...where I've already been in the game for ten years.

Good luck with your decision.

I second the if you never apply you will never draw concept. Many things in life are "not worth it" if you actually balanced out the dollar for dollar benefit. That having been said, make time to do what you love. Most of us do not have deep pockets and the only way to go on some of these great hunts is to buy the license and build the points. You will either be lucky or not :) No guarantees, no promises. Really it's just like life in general. I know guys that have applied for decades and not drawn and some that have drawn great tags with little or no points. It is what it is and depends on the luck of the draw. I'm sure you have heard the saying, "the harder I try the luckier I get."

----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

Piper said:

"I didn't draw a non resident 032 california sheep tag and I had 17 points, so think about that scenario also"

That may be true. But one thing I will guarantee is that nobody that didn't apply drew a California bighorn tag.

If I was a 30 year old nonresident and wanted to hunt sheep, I'd apply if if I could afford it. I would probably leave out other states first. I would be looking at the fact that I could apply for two species of sheep (and hopefully 3 again someday) for basically the same cost. And as nvnative said, it IS possible to draw and not be in the top points pool.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-04-10 AT 04:26PM (MST)[p]As a minimum, apply with the buy license if successful option for just desert sheep. You don't get points, but it's like $17 to apply...You could still get lucky, only takes one chance to win:)

Nevada has more NR desert sheep tags than any other state and if you are going to buy the license put in for every thing or at least buy bonus points for them it might take some time to get a tag but it is worth the wait.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom