NWT Dall and Caribou

MQQSE

I just got back from hunting the McKenzies in the NWT with MacKenzie Mountain Outfitters. I had a great time and was able to get it done. My biggest fear was wondering if I needed to be in superhero shape to be successful. I discovered that working out all year by moderate upper body weight lifting and uphill walking on my treadmill was sufficient. I only hunted 5 days total and may have been singing a different tune by day ten though!

6574image.jpg

938image.jpg

Your trophies are awesome and evidently you did enough training to enjoy the hunt. Congratulations on a pair of super trophies!

Most guys can "do" a mountain hunt but with better conditioning (like yours) it actually becomes enjoyable.

I'm far from a super hero but I've hunted with a couple of them. We ended up in exactly the same place at the right time! LOL

Zeke

MQQSE, congratulations on your ram and caribou! I was getting on the North-Wright Air plane at Stan & Helen's camp when you were getting off. They run a first class operation. It truly is the hunt and adventure of a lifetime. Congrats again.

MQQSE,

Nice animals and thanks for posting. It is 12 months and counting until I am hunting with MMO. Cant wait! Got any more details you are willing to share? I would love to hear the stories.

Thanks for all the kind words. I don't get on here enough but want to more. Sunday night is a good time to get caught up on MM.

Zeke is always quick with the posts and I'm honored to him and everyone for taking a look at some of my adventure. Downsouth- I was quite excited when I got off that plane. I heard you guys had a great hunt as well.

I am going to post some more photos and details about the hunt. I'm not the best at this stuff, but I will try and catch some of the atmosphere as best as I can. I have always loved reading about other people's hunt and perhaps one or two of you will enjoy my photos and words as well...

1672img0800.jpg

I was fortunate to be the first person flown out when our group arrived. Maybe it was because I was the heaviest at 240 lbs and Stan new he wasn't going to fly me too far! Haha.

I had a few hours to get my gear together before the helicopter flight. If you have never been on a helicopter, I have to tell you that it is one of the most amazing things I have ever experienced. Words can't explain how cool it is.

This photo is of our camp along the river we were dropped off at. My guide was a great young man named Rob. He is a 28 year old from British Columbia. I truly enjoyed my time with him.

Some people believe that in the NWT you get dropped on top of the mountain and hunt from there. I can assure you that this isn't the case. Stan simply flew in and dropped us on the river without as much as a quick circle around to see if any game was present. I liked it more this way. The adventure was beginning.

The first night we simply set up camp and rested with the intent of moving camp up a mountain drainage the following morning.

When we awoke the first morning I found it cool that a caribou had passed by my tent within 15 feet during the night.

Rob and I had a quick oatmeal and instant coffee breakfast before we packed up our camp for the hike up the creek and further into the mountains. I was curious to see if my training would be enough to allow me to do this hunt.

979img0809.jpg

We hiked for about 3.5 hours and gained 1500-1800 feet in elevation while crossing the creek 6-8 times. Rob was smart in telling me that the new camp was just an hour or so away. He said this all the time. Perhaps for him it was an hour away from the first camp. I'm not sure if he was just messing with me or what. Either way, I knew camp was never more than an hour away.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-15 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]During the first full day of the hunt we only spotted one ram during the hike up. This ram was located in the drainage to the north of where we ended up camping on night two. So the plan for the second day of hunting was to climb straight up the mountain above camp and get to where the sheep spend their time.

One foot in front of the other was the plan for me. Although I only trained by lifting weights (25-35 lbs) and hiking on my treadmill, I was surprised to see that I was making progress up the mountain. When I woke that morning I wasn't sore which surprised me. It seems as though there is something about training for what you will do by doing what you will do that makes perfect sense.

6238img0833.jpg

Here is a photo of me about a 30 minutes from a point where we could glass the next drainage and an entire new world that I dreamed about the night before.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-15 AT 09:16PM (MST)[p]When we cleared the ridge we immediately started spotting sheep. In all there were 6 rams, but they were on the crest of the next ridge, which was another mile to the north (which may as well been on the moon). We watched them work through some treacherous country and bed in some cliffs where they could overlook their entire kingdom. We sat on them for the next 8 hours and finally headed back to camp when some bad weather moved in. Rob had a good idea we would find them in the morning.

I was happy to head to camp with the lightening and hail that had been pounding the mountaintop for the past hour.

6217img0820.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-30-15 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]The third day of hunting I was staring to lose the kick in my legs. Too much pizza, beer, wings, etc.. may have been taking their toll. However, I still made my way to the top of the mountain and started looking for the sheep we left when the storm approached the night before.

3862img0854.jpg

Well, we actually walked past the sheep, which were in the canyon below us. Had we slowed down a little, we may have had them at 300 yards. However, they were hidden below us and we missed them. When we found them we were caught in the open at 650 yards. The sheep were moving higher on the hillside and our only hope was for a miracle. I didn't want a long shot on my ram. I can shoot fairly far, but wanted a shot of under 400 yards (which to a Midwest Boy is still a long way).

Below us on the Mountain River was a large fog bank. I told Rob that it would be awesome if the Lord would bless us and place that fog up where we were and allow us to head for cover behind the large hill behind us. Sure enough an hour later the fog bank rolled in for just long enough for us (me) to run/climb to the protection of the hill. We then worked 3/4 of a mile around the hill to where we may be able to approach the rams. We figured we would at least be hidden where we now were.

As fast as the fog bank lifted another bank rolled in which allowed us to run directly at the rams. Our best guess is that we would end up 450-500 yards from the sheep. We ran hard and when the fog started to thin we dropped down on the mountain, set up the packs as a rest and got ready for the shot.

Trying to range through the fog was difficult. Rob must have seen the rams, because he kept asking me if I could get a range. My Leica's kept reading 34 yards, but I really could only see 30 yards at the most. Then, all of a sudden the fog quickly lifted and I was awestruck by the view of two ten year old rams bedded in front of me on the mountain.

I asked Rob what his rangefinder said. He responded "336", I then checked mine and came up with "334". I knew then that I was going to actually harvest a Dall ram!

4282img0849.jpg

It's getting late and I'm tired. I'll fill you in on what happened next and then tell you about the caribou hunt as well. Be patient, I still have to work.

Good luck to everyone in their upcoming hunts. If anyone is near Vernal, UT in the coming weeks, send me a PM. I have a Diamond Mtn Elk Tag (Premium) and was crazy lucky enough to draw a NV Jarbridge Elk tag (Muzzy Hunt). My wife is ready to kill me, but I have to hit the road on these adventures. The bulls are starting to sing! I hope to meet some of you between Missouri and Nevada in the coming weeks.

Loving your recap. Looking forward to chapter 2. Congrats on a hunt of a life time. Someday...someday...I tell myself.

Awesome thread! More, more, more!! lol

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom