O.A.L.?

accubond

I recently purchased a used 25-06 Remington 700 BDL. I checked the distance out to the rifling and found that it was .003" shorter than what the Nosler book listed as the maximum O.A.L. Is this normal?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

yes it is normal. the book usually gives an average or one that worked best in their test gun during testing for velocity.

My 25-06 shot best when the bullet ogive was 10-15 thousands from the lands.

RELH

That don't seem right. You would think that the max listed would not put you into the lands on any factory rifle. In all my guns the number suggested in the book are always a lot lower than where I seat the bullet. Could be wrong though. How did you come up with the OAL?

Thanks for the replys guys. To get the OAL I took a fired casing and pressed it against the bench forming a flat spot to pinch the bullet in the neck good and tight. Next I pushed the bullet in just enough to get it started and colored the whole bullet with permanent parker. Finally I ran the bolt closed with bullet in place and you can see how far the bullet was pushed into the casing by the mark left on the colored bullet. This was done 4 times to make sure I was consistently touching the lands. I actually messed up in my first post as my chamber is .030" shorter than the SAAMI max which is listed as 3.250". I measured my chamber to be 3.220" to the lands and loaded my first rounds for this gun to an OAL of 3.190". Seems weird to me to have a max listed that far over a factory Remington but I guess it is what it is?

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

Morning,
One thing I do when reloading for a new or used gun I get, I will get some factory loads to set the gun up/sight in then I will pull a load apart and see what type of powder i.e ball, flake,short cut or what ever and measure everything. Then start the reloading and try and beat the factory loads.
gary

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom