"O" those angry Turks!

T

TFinalshot

How dare they invade a country that the USA occupies. . . who do those Turks think they are. . .

Turkey army launches land offensive into Iraq
Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24am EST

By Paul de Bendern

ANKARA (Reuters) - Turkish ground troops crossed into northern Iraq in their hunt for Kurdish PKK rebels, the military said on Friday, describing the start of a campaign one report said could last 15 days.

The White House said the United States had been informed in advance of Turkey's offensive and called on Ankara to limit the operation to "precise targeting" of the PKK rebels who have been using northern Iraq as a base to stage attacks in Turkey.

Iraq's government urged Turkey to respect its sovereignty and avoid any military action which would threaten security and stability.

"We do not expect these operations will expand because they are against the Iraqi and Turkish desire to have good relations," spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh told Reuters in Baghdad.

The European Union repeated its call for Turkey, which is seeking EU membership, to avoid "disproportionate" action.

Turkish television said troops, backed by warplanes and Cobra attack helicopters, had moved 25 km (16 miles) inside Iraq.

Turkish TV said 3,000 to 10,000 soldiers had entered Iraq, but several Iraqi officials and a senior military official with U.S.-led coalition forces in Baghdad tried to play down the operation, saying only a few hundred troops were involved.

"The Turkish Armed Forces, which attach great importance to Iraq's territorial integrity and stability, will return home in the shortest time possible after its goals have been achieved," the General Staff said in a statement posted on its Web site.

The General Staff did not specify the size of the operation, but released photographs of armed troops in white fatigues walking through snowy, mountainous Iraqi terrain.

A senior military source in southeast Turkey told Reuters: "Thousands of troops have crossed the border and thousands more are waiting at the border to join them if necessary."

CNN Turk television, citing unnamed security sources, said the operation would last 15 days.

DISAGREEMENT OVER NUMBERS

Ankara blames the PKK for the deaths of nearly 40,000 people since it began an armed struggle for a Kurdish homeland in southeast Turkey in 1984. Washington and the EU, like Turkey, classify the PKK as a terrorist organization.

Turkey appeared to be seeking to deal the Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK) a crushing blow before weather conditions improve, which would allow rebels to cross back into Turkish territory.

A PKK spokesman said rebels had clashed with the troops.

"There are severe clashes. Two Turkish soldiers have been killed and eight wounded. There are no PKK casualties," Ahmed Danees, head of foreign relations for the PKK, told Reuters by satellite phone from an undisclosed location in northern Iraq.

It was not possible to independently verify his statement.

Iraq's foreign minister played down the operation.

"There has not been any major incursion or land invasion. ... What is going on is around a few hundred Turkish forces have crossed the border looking for the PKK or their bases," Hoshiyar Zebari told Reuters by telephone.

A senior military officer with U.S.-led coalition forces based in Baghdad made a similar estimate of the number of troops involved. "A few hundred, at most," the source said.

Turkish financial markets weakened slightly on news of the operation.

NATO member Turkey says it has the right under international law to hit PKK rebels who shelter in northern Iraq and have mounted attacks inside Turkey that have killed scores of troops. Turkey says some 3,000 PKK rebels are based in Iraq.

"I sincerely believe that this operation will contribute to Iraq's stability and peace in the region," Turkish President Abdullah Gul said in a statement.

The EU and the United States have in the past raised concerns that a major offensive could destabilize the region, though they have not criticized recent small cross-border raids.

"We understand the concerns of Turkey ... but we think this action is not the best response," EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana told a news conference in Slovenia.

The central Baghdad government, which has little sway over mainly Kurdish northern Iraq, has repeatedly called for a diplomatic solution.

"We urged them (Turkey) to work directly also with the Iraqis, including Kurdish government officials, in determining how best to address the threat of the PKK," White House spokesman Scott Stanzel told reporters.

"I understand that Turkish authorities had notified Iraqi authorities simultaneously (about the operation)," he said.

Turkey launched several major land offensives in the 1990s into northern Iraq against the separatist movement.

"Militarily, even 50,000 troops in the 1990s were not able to destroy the PKK, but psychologically this operation could be quite effective. It has taken the PKK by surprise," said Gareth Jenkins, an Istanbul-based expert on Turkish security issues.

(Additional reporting by Michael Holden and Mariam Karouny in Baghdad, Matt Spetalnick in Washington, Gareth Jones and Selcuk Gokoluk in Ankara; Editing by Mary Gabriel)

? Reuters 2007. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content, including by caching, framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters. Reuters and the Reuters sphere logo are registered trademarks and trademarks of the Reuters group of companies around the world.

We asked the Turks not to attack the terrorist from our screw up who are killing them inside their borders. if it wasn't so stupid it would be funny, a few thousand years and we'll have it under control. those Turks have no patience at all.

You just can get enough of the Blame the USA game. Try enlightening yourself to the Global Political Environment before talking out your ass.

The Kurd's have been oppressed by the Turks for years, resulting in the formation of the Kurdish PKK and other armed factions.

I'm not saying either side is right, but to your dismay, you can't blame the USA for everything...

http://www.fas.org/asmp/profiles/turkey_background_kurds.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurds_in_Turkey

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/news/1999/12/991230-kurd2.htm

"I'm not saying either side is right, but to your dismay, you can't blame the USA for everything..."

No, but when you are a Hate Bush First lib, anything that smacks of seeing progress being impeded in Iraq is a reason to gloat.

no, the point is that the good ol usa thinks that from it's 5000 foot vantage point it can solve wars with people that only know war. . . the turks and war is like turkey and stuffing. . .

get a grip, it's not the fault of the USA, it's not really our business is it?

LAST EDITED ON Feb-22-08 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]That's the point, it's not our fault but if we can't stop it and the Turks want to go into Iraq to stop this crap they have every right to. for Christ's sake we went into Iraq for no reason at all so to have the nerve to ask the Turks to hold back is ludicrous.

The progress in Iraq isn't as much as you'd let on, the cease fire with al Sadr expires in the morning and the Iraqi government is far from able to control the country. it's going better than it was a year ago but I wouldn't call it over by a long shot, now they're telling us future troop draw downs may be on hold so that means it's a forced reduction in violence we're seeing in Iraq not a new era of peace.

I didn't say we started any of the fights going on in Iraq but we created a play ground for it to happen, just as we were warned before hand so big surprise. the Turks know better than to wait for us to fix it and if you were as smart as you think you are you'd agree with them.

Dude, thank you for defaming Christ. It is a step in the right direction. It is probably the first religious thing you have done in your life. You will find your way back to the flock.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Funny how you will say something for "Christ's sake" but you won't pray for your own.

It's an expression, it has no religious meaning used in that context. I didn't know the church lady would call me on it, I don't know who made me say it........maybe......could be.......SATAN!

Don't acknowledge a Satan. It implies God must exist.

You don't believe in Christ.
You don't believe in God.
Others on here do.
You like to push their buttons.
So you say it to push their buttons.

I just think it's funny when people have to use Christ's name that way. Shows some real class. That's your new nick name....CLASSY. REAL CLASSY.

And from now on I am going to use your gods name in vain. Oh, for Hillarys sake.

Come on now dude. We love ya. Glad I have someone to have some fun on here with. O for hillarys sake.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom