OAL question

Paradox

I have a new Remington 700sps in 270.
I was trying to figure out the right length for handloading cartridges. The book (Nosler reloading #6) says SAAMI OAL max is 3.340 inches. If I seat the bullet 1/32 behind the rifling I get 3.718.
Does the SAAMI number matter or do you just load what fits in the gun? I loaded some dummy rounds and the 3.7 works through the magazine alright.
Thanks
Ed

The SAAMI specs are guarranteed to function in every rifle out there...

I dont go by the SAAMI specs for any of my bolt rifles.. I load anywhere from .005-.030 from the lands depending on where I find the sweet spot to be...

One thing I learned is when measuring OAL always take an average measurement dont measure it once and take it as gospel...I measure 3 times to make sure I did so correctly.

I also use the right comparitor so I'm measuring off of the bullets ogive rather that the tip..Much more accurate that way..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Depending on what bullet I'm reloading for in my Win Model 70 I can be anywhere from 3.200 out to 3.700. In most cases my magazine is my limiting factor at just over 3.600. As was meantioned earlier I use the OAL (Tip to Base) as a rough eastimate I measure off the ogive to get a more exact measurement.

400bull

The SAAMI OAL is a guideline only. Do not take it as the final word for your OAL. Your rifle will dictate the best OAL to use for realibilty and accuracy.

RELH

I try to seat .010-.020" off the lands. Some guns of mine have long throats (204 Ruger) so I was not able to get close to the lands. I started at Saami length and it shot great, so that is where i left it.

On a hunting rifle, I do not think seating depth makes as much difference regarding accuracy as powder type, charge weight, and bullet brand/weight. You have to find what your rifle likes.

Thanks,
That is what I thought but my previous rifle was also limited by the magazine so I never had this opportunity. I didn't want to shoot anything unsafe.
Is there a minimum seating depth for hunting bullets? These seat about 3/8 to 7/16 into the case.
Ed

>Thanks,
>That is what I thought but
>my previous rifle was also
>limited by the magazine so
>I never had this opportunity.
>I didn't want to shoot
>anything unsafe.
>Is there a minimum seating depth
>for hunting bullets? These seat
>about 3/8 to 7/16 into
>the case.
>Ed

You should seat the bullets at least as deep as the caliber in order to have sufficient neck tension......

.270 should be at least .277 into the case

.300 Win mag .308 into the case, etc......
horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Pretty much the only two cartridges that seem to have a issue with the bullet being seated deep enough is the 300 Win mag, and 300 Savage. They both have short necks, so you need to make sure the bullet is seated totally on the flat part, not the ogive.

To answer your question...no, it isn't unsafe to seat bullets longer than SAAMI. If it fits your throat and magazine confines, then you are fine. BUT...you may not have to go longer than SAAMI for good accuracy. Depends on the gun.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom