Obama Rocks the Teddy's House

T

TFinalshot

Who caught Obama talking up our land legacy and the DOI's role in the coming years? He spoke today at the DOI's 160th birthday celebration. It was nice to hear a guy talk about our public land legacy that actually knows the history of the country and it's public lands. Refreshing. . .

That's not code for I like the stimulus, in fact i'm on the record 100 times as saying I dont, and that I think it's just more of the same with more zero's, but Obama is doing the right thing by supporting our public lands and thanking the people who work at the DOI. Its a tough job to work there when there are people in the public who need you in order to make a living but then who smack you in the back of the head as soon as you walk away. . .

Nice work Obama. . . I hope we all take a second and lament about our own public lands experiences. The openness of the west has no doubt influenced the person that I am. For example, living in a place where i'm not at the top of the food chain is sobering . . . and it would not be possible if not for public lands and the prudent management of our land and wildlife, much of which has come as a result of the regulations found in 43 CFR!

Happy Birthday DOI, and out public lands legacy, here's to a 100 more years of DYI, open country, public lands hunting, fishing, camping, recreating, grazing, and conservation!

> It was nice to
>hear a guy talk about
>our public land legacy that
>actually knows the history of
>the country and it's public
>lands. Refreshing. . .
>

C'mon Tony, I'm sure he recieved his briefing right before he went on stage. Obama does'nt strike me as someone who's well versed in public lands...public housing more like it.

>Happy Birthday DOI, and out public
>lands legacy, here's to a
>100 more years of DYI,
>open country, public lands hunting,
>fishing, camping, recreating, grazing, and
>conservation!

When he and A.G. Holder get done with us the only thing you'll be shooting is your camera.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

LAST EDITED ON Mar-03-09 AT 02:23PM (MST)[p]Lest you call Obama a liar, he actually went though quite lengthy story about his first trip to the main land from Hawaii. When he was 11 he and his family flew to Seattle, WA and embarked on a long cross country car trip that covered the pacific coast, the grand canyon, yellowstone and the upper midwest.

That sounds very typical "americana" to me (except for the plain flight). I grew up here cutting wheat, pushing cows, and stringing wire, fishing stealhead on the snake, imnaha, grand ronde, and touchet and walla walla rivers, and bull trout and rainbows on mill creek, and blasting deer and elk on public and private lands, but I also took family trips to glacier and yellowstone which I still remember very clearly.

I actually think Obama's story is much more typical of the other millions and millions of people in this country who take vacations to visit our public lands. In fact, there are 1000's that actually decided, based on childhood trips to the west to see our parks and wildlife areas, to move out here and work hard to protect the land for their children. What a legacy that is. People actually changing their lives to better the lives of others, noble idea ay?

BTW, did you or did you not listen to his presentation? Or are you just popping off?

Tony,
I missed it. I guess as long as his idea of public lands doesn't resemble Clintons. You do remember that one don't you? Yep, go ahead and use the Escalante wilderness, just don't hunt on it or drive on existing roads. Driving cross country in a car as a youth doesn't qualify anybody as well versed on public lands. All it does is qualify one as a "user" of public lands. Now, I don't doubt that he has an iterest in public lands. I'm just going off of what you stated. Give me some more details for his plan. I'm all ears.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, he does not have much of a track record beyond what I heard him say today about public lands. That said, I'll sum up what I got from his presentation.

1. he has a land ethic that recognizes the accurate history of put public land legacy.
2. he understands that there are competing and multiple use demands of our limited resources.
3. he knows that much of the nations potential energy has direct connections to our public lands.
4. he believes that our public lands and our grand landscapes have existence value.
5. he knows that the people who work for the DOI are public servants who want the best for the country.
6. he explained that the past is deeply tied to the land and that future generations are owed at least the experiences we had.
7. He knows that a healthy landscape and prudent use of our limited resources are part of the future of america.
8. he knows that a well balance system with it's parts in place makes for a more healthy economy.

My question to you is where are the limits to use, should we trample every place with all our might? What's left if we dont limit our use and our access? I believe in limits because it's better to leave some options than it is to put future generations in a position of desperation. Desperate people almost always take desperate actions. . . Image what things would be like if not for Teddy. . . I'd hate to think that anyone would dismiss his conservation efforts. . .

Now if only he would be as intellectually curious about economic history and the proper role of a central bank and the value of fiscal responsibility. All the public land in the nation is useless if the government cannot afford to properly manage and care for it.

Nemont

It's funny you mentioned Teddy. I am reading his books "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman" & "The Wilderness Hunter". I would highly recommend them. He is considered the first and greatest conservationist in history. I highly doubt that Obama and Teddy would have seen eye to eye though. He was in favor of opening public lands to everyone for multipurpose uses. I'm pretty sure that he did not conisider the use of ATV's in his writings.;-) I would hate to think that any politician would think any different than those things you listed but unfortunately Obama is no different (other than IQ) than Bush when it comes to folding and making concessions for special interest groups that pad their wallets.

"the chase is among the best of all national pastimes; it cultivates that vigorous manliness for the lack of which in a nation, as in an individual, the possession of no other qualities can possibly atone." President Theodore Roosevelt

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

I like to read Teddy's storys, but not when written by him! he writes way to perty for my taste.

he had some adventures for sure. got to stay at the same cabin he used to use in state bridge co. where he would embark on his Flat Top wilderness hunts, i herd a fire took alot of the old buildings at state bridge, dont know if the Roosevelt cabin made it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom