O'Connor

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON May-03-11 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-03-11 AT 09:10?PM (MST)

Shoot...can't figure out how to attach this thing, its a PDF file

Any advice for this technical Neandertal here?

Thanks Feleno, but it won't give me a jpg option...I'm gonna throw this damn thing through the window!

I could e-mail it to someone and they could convert?

I think you can save to text with thr reader version of acrobat. Can come out a bit funky and need some editing, and you lose pictures, but you can just cut and paste here.

LAST EDITED ON May-05-11 AT 11:46AM (MST)[p]Ya sorry guys, thought it would be simple to attach...thanks EF, but it won't paste into the box here

If there are any techno-wizards around that I could email the thing to for conversion, shoot me a message

It is a quite good (and scathing!) piece, and I thought some other fans of Jack's would enjoy it as well

LAST EDITED ON May-06-11 AT 06:20AM (MST)[p]No luck so far and I'll be busy most of today. Will keep trying as I get time---sorry!

littlebighorn---I forwarded it to your email addy!!!

Other Members---Anyone else who wants it forwarded by email just let me know here on this thread and we will do it that way, rather than frog around trying to get it up on here!!!

I am a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff, so I can't help you post it. But thanks for sending it to me Mike. I did get to read the letter and I have to say it was pretty classic stuff, coming from the Dean of Sheep!
I am curious what Jack would say about the state of Sheep hunting in this day and age. I think he would be glad there are still sheep to hunt, but he would not be happy with the "head hunting" and all the emphasis put on "what does your ram score!"
I miss that old fart. He was one of a kind for sure.

Ya LBH, the thing is just awesome! And I agree, ol' Jack would be happy with how well our sheep are doing today, but roll over with disgust at the inches-at-any-cost 'trophy shopper' mentality prevalent today...

Nothing wrong with killing book rams, but its too bad when someone can't be satisfied unless the ram meets the highly arbitrary, 'imaginary' if you will, criteria prescribed by this or that records program

I think the measuring system credits length over mass anyway...all things being otherwise equal, a ram with a 4" longer LOC than another ram is not in the same class as a ram that has an extra inch at every circumfirence measurement. I'd certainly rather kill an old, heavy, broomed ram that's just under book than a young longhorns that surpasses the minumum entry by virtue of the inches in his lamby tips anyway

Well, hopefully T-Gun can get the thing up here for the rest of y'all to enjoy

Cheers'

If you dont want me to do it, that is fine. But - it is easy (should be anyway). Cut and paste into 'paint' and from paint you can 'save as' a .jpg file and post it like a picture.

Dammit Greatwestern, yer fired! LOL

But, I agree and I agree again so you're hire back on the job. It's become a sport of the "entourage" rather than the romance of the sheep hunt!

The whole darn thing has become quite commercialized. This is totally different from when I started sheep huntin'.

By the way, my facination with the varieties of Snow sheep started when, 4 decades ago, I read the book by James L. Clark "The great arc of the wild sheep". Those sheep have always been "off limits" until recent history. Some day, some day my friend.

Zeke

ramtagless---I just emailed it to you, so I hope it's as easy for you to put it up here for everyone to read as you said. Thanks!!!

1796oconnor45.jpg

9033oconnor46.jpg

8202oconnor47.jpg

9836oconnor48.jpg

How does that look? Should be right, might just have gotten a little tight on the cropping?

Love O'Connor...have sheep and sheep hunting and the hunting rifle and a couple of others. I will read the post this evening. Thanks...

LAST EDITED ON May-06-11 AT 05:35PM (MST)[p]Beauty! Looks fine...thanks for gettin it posted

It is actually the manuscript of a talk Jack gave at the 1974 Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council meeting/presentation

Z, I'm super jealous, still have never had the opportunity to read the Arc...its at the top of my list for sure...and thanks for my "job" back, yer a good boss-man :)

**edit---'Northern' not NA...and thanks to you guys who helped get this thing posted for everyone to be able to see, Cheers!

Thanks GW for the article and thanks to Littlebighorn for sending me a sneek copy! You're a bro!

I thought I'd read about everything on sheep that Jack had written but you just turned me on to one I had not. Thanks.

I have to agree with Jack on darn near everything. He'd be happy that we still have sheep to hunt but perhaps a bit disappointed at some of our antics in procuring them.

Zeke

I am with you on never reading this one Zeke, but I love the fact that it seems to be coming right from the gut of the old sage. His writing was very polished, but this is kind of like what he would say around a campfire.
I really wanted to meet him when he was still around, so while on my honeymoon, headed to the Northwest, we actually stopped by his house in Lewiston. Unfortunately he was not home and I think he died that next Fall. Anyway, thanks for the memories greatwestern! If you have any more it would be great to pass on.

Ya, don't thank me, these others put the thing up

I'd say 'no problem!', but as you can see here, that wasn't exactly the case...

So, Thanks Dudes! For makin the effort and gettin er done

Call me crazy, but I never cared for his writing, and this article was no different. He always came off to me as arrogant.
and in it for himself, and himself only.

Well, I won't call you crazy. I will say to "each their own".

A little arrogance and selfishness is manifested in everyone who hunts (read some of the threads on MM for awhile). I'm sure Jack was no different.

One thing I do know, the ole boy knew sheep pretty well.... well before they became the "glamour" animal that they are today. He hunted hard and pushed for sheep studys and championed the cause of the wild sheep.

Like him or not, the guy had more experience with sheep than any 10 guys. I'll always read "Jack" and try to learn a thing or two.

Good luck cuz in all you do,
Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom