oct 20-24 vv second rifle

• Thread starter greenhornhunter
  • Start date
G

greenhornhunter

how much harder is this hunt than the first rifle? does the quality of bulls drop? whats the weather usually like this time of year? will they be bugling? whats the best method to hunt them? spot and stalk? call them? please help me!!!!!

You wouldn't get much bugling, it will be spot and stalk pretty much You can try bugling in the Dark Am trying to get one to tell ya where he is at then sneak in on him or Better to just stay with Cow calling and hope he comes to you in the thick stuff.
I head out next week hope they still are bugling.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-07 AT 08:57AM (MST)[p]My experience is that they won't answer a bugle or a cow call, but they'll come to a cow call quietly. Same with raking a tree. I pulled in a nice 6X7 and four of his buddies last year on Oct 22 (third day of second rifle) while raking a tree and using a cow call.

A couple years earlier on the Colin Neblett, we got right on to a couple bulls by cow calling while sneaking along an old logging road. Again the bulls didn't answer, but they were sure straining their necks to see what we were.

The weather can be 70 one day, snowing the next, and back to 70 the following day. Be prepared for anything.

would it be stupid to tent it? i'm either looking at tenting it or making a bed in the back of a suburban? any suggestions?

I've done both.

By your questions I'll assume you're a DIY like me without access to horses or mules.

I think it depends on how far you need to hike to get to your actual hunt area, and how well you're prepared to deal with sub-freezing temperatures at night.

If I'm within five miles of my hunt area, I usually just sleep in the back of my truck with a shell. Although I've been known to hike as far as ten miles in, any distance further than five miles (or two hours) I think it would be worth it to pack in a spike camp (if you've got cold temp gear), especially if you can arrive a day or two before the opening.

My boy has the youth cow hunt in Nov.we were there this past week-end to see the terrian & checked out the poud.Theres the muzzle hunt right now & we saw 2 camps w/a 5x & a medium 6X,they said not much action till later in the afternoon,was breezy in the high 50's,lots of out fitters/horses,trailers.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom