odd encounters

nk

While in NorthEastern Utah I wathed a Jake (Turkey) attack a forestry service truck at a gas station in Dutch John. The guy told me that he does it all the time. (Will post pics. when I get them developed) Anyone else had odd encounters.

Shot a small 3x3 while up there too!
nk

While fishing a stream near hardware ranch, I had a Canada Goose follow me for about a mile. It would be right at my feet watching me fish and when I sat on the bank it would even come up and lay its head on my leg. I thought that was pretty cool, until I went to leave and it followed me back to my truck and jumped in when I opened the door. I would throw it out of my truck and it would get right back in, or jump on the hood and squak at me, or get under the truck and squak, or bite at my waders, it was really starting to get pissed. This went on for about 5 minutes, then the local CO pulled up laughing his a$$ off. Appearantly this was a re-hab goose they had been nursing back to health for awhile, it was all healed up and they were trying to wean it from being hand fed, but it had to hang around and wait for its clipped feathers to grow back. That is why it had no fear of me and was getting pissed when I wanted to leave. The CO held it while I got in my truck, then I putted down the road while the goose was following (the CO wanted me to get it back to where it should have been), funny having a goose run after you down the road. When I got to were the goose was supposed to be staying, I floored it and he just stood there in the middle of the road, squaking like a madman.

While hunting near Monte Cristo when I was 17, I was sitting on a rock ledge with my feet dangling over the edge about 25 feet of the ground glasing a ridge across the canyon, when I caught movement out to the side. I lowered my binochs and a red tailed hawk landed on my boot.

I shouted and kicked my foot cause it scared the sh%$ out of me. Later I wish I would of just sat thre and watched it but thats hindsite for.

Great post
Yelum

One year when I was Elk hunting, I decided to take nap in the woods. I was leaning on a tree. I noticed a small tree squirrel headed my way. He started feeding around me jumpimg from rock to dead logs. Then he jumped on my leg and quickly jumped off with a squeel. Like what the heck is that log made out of. He looked at my leg and tried it again, as soon as he touched me he would jump away with a squeel. This went on for about three minutes until I finally moved and scared the sh!t out of the poor squirrel. :)

this happebned to me when i was like 6 months old so i dont remember but my mom and grandma always tell me about it. we were i the white mountains at sunrise lake and i was in my lil bed kida thing and i was al bundelede up and chimpmunks kept getin in there with me becuase i was so warm and my mom and grandma had to keep chasing the chipmunks away from me. lol good times
casey

I hate it when I start laughing out loud and every one at work wonders what the heck is going on.

When I was 15 back in Wisconsin, I was in my treestand in the middle of a huge swamp on opening day of deer season. I heard this awful thrashing deep in the swamp and picked out some orange (another hunter). This guy was LOST to the max. He was running through the swamp in a total panic just slamming through the brush. He saw me from a distance and came over and it was my Biology Teacher!!!! LMOA!!! He was sweating profusely and was thoroughly embarassed. I pointed him to the ridge to make his way out to the nearest logging road. He had to walk about 3 miles around the swamp back on the road to get to where he started!! Tim

We were at the San Diego Wild Animal park. I was 10 my brother was 8. There was an animal trainer holding a large golden eagle. We stopped to talk to her and the eagle flared it's tail and SHOT CRAP all over my little brother. We couldn't stop laughing and he couldn't stop crying. He took it kinda personal and doesn't really like birds.

True story.

Jesse

BTW what does LMOA mean? Thanks!

Wait a minute... I think I just got it... LMAO "Laughed My A$$ Off" - is that right?

Last year while Archery Hunting, I had a doe follow me at a distance of about 5 yards, up the hill for about 2 miles. It was kinda freaky because when I would stop, so would she. She would then start grazing like she was saying, "Pay no mind to me..I'm just eating here." Anyone ever felt like they're being stalked by a deer? It was a very strange roll reversal.

Yepppppers Laughed my a@@ off...lmao

The day before Thanksgiving, 1997

I oncst decided that I would try to see how close I could get to a deer(muley), before he ran off...it turns out that he was in the rut, and got insulted w/my advances. He almost killed me...gored me, centermeters away from my femoral artery or vein (both would have made me bleed to death). One of my bullets, (out of a Beretta 96D) somehow hit him, and then my right heal. I fired 2 warning shots before the contact, one at the contact, and 5 more shots, the last w/the son of a buck, between my knees, as he breathed his last, with a sigh.

BTW, he was at the Christmas party...

not by a deer, but a mountain lion. 5 or so years ago we were at the black river in Eastern AZ and had a lion walk on the same path as us at about 100 yards. we could only hear it though because it was after dark. it kept on screaming at us. just before sunset earlier in the evening, we saw another lion only it couldnt of been but a year old. i think the one that was following us was its mother. we all kept our flashlights scanning the trees and one of my buddies had a 357 mag. ready just in case. the entire event lasted 7 minutes or so but it seemed to be an hour!
nk

Walking out one time after deer hunting in Nebraska and I saw a couple of coyotes running my way. When they got within range (archery hunting) I shot a couple of arrows and to my surprise it didn't scare them at all! After I shot all my arrows they came right towards me and were several feet away snarling at me. You can imagine I was pretty freaked, so I circled around and got my arrows the whole time with them feet away growling at me. After screaming at them for a while they finally trotted off.

I have no clue what would possess a couple of coyotes to come towards me like that. I did have my knife out by the time they got in. I'm not sure what I would have done though...maybe just feed them one arm and stab 'em with the other? Pretty scary!

WapitiSlayer
I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago during late archery. I was hiking along the creek bottom of a small canyon and I jumped a 2 pt mulie buck out of its bed. He ran up the hill about 50 yards and side hilled me for several miles. Every time I stopped, so did he. We finally cut across a fresh set of doe tracks and he left me to stalk that doe. It was funny because I was talking to him the whole way, telling him that he needs to wise up or he will wind up in someones freezer. I stopped and got a couple of pictures and the flash didnt even phase him. Goofy bastard!
Eric

fart.gif

Bird-01.gif

Was up on the n kaibab couple years ago archery hunting. My buddy and i had just chased some deer up a ridge and since it was getting late decided to head back. walking through a flat area back to the truck i looked over at rick who was 5 feet away and saw something else walking beside him. The sun was way down and it was barely light out. I jokingly asked rick if he had brought a dog with him on the trip that i didnt know about. He looked at me like i ahd two heads and said "what?" I said you know a little dog and pointed to the animal walking right beside him going the same way we were. Rick looked down to his right and jumped out of his skin. The animal was a porcupine. I laughed so hard at how scared he was about that little sucker. actually he was pretty big like a poodle sized pin cushion.

this wasn't hunting, but it's funny. My neighbor took her kids to the zoo to see the gorillas in their open air enclosure. breaking the rules, she started throwing peanuts to try and get the apes closer. one of the males ran over below them, grabbed a big pile of crap, and chucked it at her. Hit her right in the head!!! she spent the next few hours washing gorilla caca out of her hair.

Back in 99 I was packing out my biggest muley down to the horses. The area was full of cliffs and nasty step side hills; we could only get the horses with in ? of a mile of the deer. From that point we de-boned it, caped and cut the antlers out and started back to the horses. When we got back to the horses (12:30pm) we noticed that the horses had torn everything out of the ground underneath them. As we sat and ate lunch we could hear the leafs crunching, it was so dang thick we could only see 15 yards. Then we both noticed the back of what looked like a mountain lion, it was. The cougar had been stocking the horses the whole time we were gone. We ran it off and finished lunch. Another time in 98 I took the wife up to a spot, we were on a thin ridge line with two deep canyons on both sides. As we were hiking out we noticed a loud sound that kept getting louder and louder. We were positive someone some how got a big diesel loader or dump truck down in there. We could see a major plume of dust coming at us, and then we noticed a swirl of wind and dust with the sound of a truck with it. It was a dust devil or something like that; I think the thermals coming out of the canyon caused that freak occurrence. It was full of marble size rocks and sticks, we ducked underneath a big sage. You could fill the wind pulling at us, with rocks hitting the sage. I've been in some hollows and thick pines when I've gotten weird feeling to get the heck out of there. That's only happened two or three times sense I've been hunting.

Wow,

Funny stuff fellas!! You brought back memories. I was attacked four times in one hunting season by the same species of hawk. The first time I was wearing a hat with the raccoon ear flaps, I had seen a hawk 200 yrds off on a telephone pole, next thing I new I heard and felt a huge gust of wind over my head and saw this thing comin' on in for another strike. I'm up here in a tripod w/ a coon hat waving my arms like a dummy. Week later a hawk landed on the fence line about 35 yrds away and just kept lookin me down and givin me the evil eye. I had a bad feelin cause it came in to investigate me since all I moved while still huntin was my head. Sure enough it came full speed just to test me. Too close for comfort I tell ya.
Once I saw a doe come runnin out full speed on the little hill right in front of me while still huntin. I kept waitin for a buck to come out after her. Next thing I know there's some leaves a russlin' behind me. Right as I quickly turn around the deer was a few feet away about to run me over at a full run. You shoulda seen the expression on that deer's face. Almost as ugly as mine.
I had a doe decoy out for a few archery whitetail hunts a long time ago. One hunt a freakin bobcat comes out real slow on the deer trial I had the decoy on. The decoy is about 30 yrds away. The freakin bobcat stalked that decoy until it got ten yards away and I let an arrow fly. Missed it by an inch right under the belly. That was the last thing I expected to see.

Huntsalone (cause all my friends feel they are endangering there lives by hunting with me)

A few years ago I was Salmon fishing at a real popular spot.
This spot gets a ton of fishing pressure on the weekends,both from the bank and boats. It's a real wide stretch of river.
Anyway, I was there on a Friday afternoon with my fishin' buddy,and the local guys are coming down and there are quite a few boats as on the water as well.
I am fishin' away when I notice that one of the boats has two guys and two very attractive women it and a boom box playing some fairly loud music.
This caught most everyones attention,well the next thing you know the two women start a striptease act in this boat and all the other fisherman are cheering them on!!!
The next thing ya know they are performing a lesbo sex scene for all us fisherman to see!
I lean over to my buddy and say "savor this moment you will never, ever see this one again!"
I think the chicks must have been strippers from the strip club in the near by town.
Boy did they put on a show!
This was far and away the oddest outdoor encounter I have had!

Damn H-H, where's the video camera when you need it? I hope that there werent and kids around. If there were you could just sed em' back to the rig to look for something that isnt there. Haaaahaaa..
Eric
hat_3.gif
aktion060.gif

Bird-01.gif

When I worked for an outfitter in Alaska I was gutting a caribou bull. I was alone and working away for a bit when all of a sudden I can see thru my hair in front (which had grown fairly long)that there is something large and brown right beside me. The area was full of brown bears and I was full of blood so I knew I was in real trouble. Without ever making eye contact I reached over at the same pace I had been working, grabbed my rifle, put in a shell and fell back on my rear all in one movement and had the barrel looking straight at this huge bull moose about 5 yards away. I scared him off aways while I finished my job and he just stood there watching me the whole time inching forward a little the whole while. Then I walked back to camp about 1-1 1/2 miles away and he followed me the whole way. He kept getting closer and if I ran he would run and if I stopped and looked at him he would look the other way. I waited until he put his nose close to the ground and I shot about three ft in front of his nose. He didn't even flinch so I walked back to camp with this guy following me when I got back at dark they all thought I was crazy but he was there the next morning and one of the hunters shot him. Gary

i was turkey hunting last year in the woods in northern az. i had a rubber decoy set out and it smelled horrible of the chemical ruber smell. i was sure i wouldnt see an elk or deer on my hunt as long as that thing was out. even i couldnt stand the smell. after sitting a few minutes a few cow elk and their calfs cruised by and didnt even care. about 20 minutes later 2 more cows and 2 calfs walked in behind me grazed at about 10 feet from me (which was crazy enough in itself) but then the two calfs cautiously approached my decoy. i was sure theyd get wind of it and take off but the little turds just walked up and started licking it! i was pretty sure i wouldnt have many turkeys coming into my decoy with while i had elk licking it, but it was such a freak thing to see i decided to watch. i heard a gobble over my shoulder and slowly turned to look and the elk caught me and took off. but it was deffinetely a strang thing to sit and watch!
next elk season, make sure you pack a stinky turkey decoy itll bring em in every time!hahahaha
az79

When I was about 10 we were at my friends house shooting robins out of a masive tree. We shot a robin that was on a high overhaging branch and as the robin was falling to the ground, out of no where, a hawk swooped in and snatched it out of the air. It was a cool sight.
To sum up the rest of the day: Many inocent little robins died tying to get the hawk to come back and do it again.

When I was younger, my family's house was on a street that kinda overlooked the backyards of the homes on the street below us. I was out playing one day and this group of teenagers was hanging out in this enclosed porch listening to music and stuff. A squirrel had somehow entered the porch all hell broke loose when someone noticed the squirrel in the porch. The squirrel became alarmed and began running all over the place looking for a way out of the porch. It must have been a male squirrel, because it ran to safety up one of the teenage girls pantlegs. You should have heard that girl scream!! She fell on the floor kicking, screaming, and pulling off her pants. The squirrel finally made its way out of her jeans and out of that porch. Was one of the funniest things I've ever seen!
-Raptor

One time, while at a friends house, we were walking back to his house after coming from another friends house, and all the sudden, an owl flies to the top of this blue spruce tree 10 ft in front of us. Well, then we start hearing quail making their noises inside the tree and they flush, well we see and hear the owl take off and you know how you can hear a quail flush? It stopped in mid air then all you could hear was the whoooosh of the owls wings. Pretty awesome! Saw that owl in the same spot about 5 months later.

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

heartshot, you reminded me of a time that I was squirrel hunting in the mountains. I shot a squirrel with my pellet gun and as he was dying he was just hanging by one arm on the branch, well all the sudden out of nowhere a gosshawk (sp?) came swerving through the trees and took the squirrel. Coolest thing I have ever seen!!!

I was flyfishing for cutthroats in some stairstep ponds along a creek where an old mining operation used to be in Stanley Basin. The ponds were shallow and clear so I would crawl up to the bank and cast from a kneeling position. One particular pond had a large upturned stump still attached to the log laying along the bank. I thought it would be a perfect blind from which to cast behind. When I was about 10 feet from the large stump I was crawling to, it got up and ran off! It turned out to be a mud covered moose that was laying half in the pond and half in the mud. And yes, I do have stronger glasses now.

We were steelhead fishing in the winter in the middle of no where way up a dirt road about 15 miles in. Well we weren't fishing at the time cuz it was night. We were sitting around the fire just finished dinner & having some brews. We were also under a tarp set up cuz as usual it was pouring rain. Out of the pitch black darkness up walks a hillbilly/convict looking type of guy & asks us if we wanted some ICE CREAM. We looked at each other with a "What the flock" kinda look on our faces & said no & kept our hands close to our guns. So he then walks back into the darkness. We are thinking were in the hell did that guy come from as we heard no cars. Slept with the guns close by that night too.

this year we left 2 days before the elk hunt we driving to were we were going to camp, and we got up there pretty late (3a.m.) whilie we were driving along this dirt road a calf moose ran out in front us and was running away from us, so we hit the breake's and stopped and it stopped so we honked and it just stood there and would look back at us and it wasen't moving so we started to inch forward and it started to walk away from us down the dirt road and the faster we started to go the faster it would run then we would slow down around turns thinking it would run of into the trees but it would just stop so we would start to go and it would just start to run and flip rocks up at us with his hooves, this went on for about two miles then finally we stopped and I got out and yelled Hey at it and it took off into the trees, it was kinda weird it was like it was trying to play with us.

Jake

One time i was driving my truck down this county road here in colorado when all of a sudden a doe ran right out in the middle of the road and stopped. So i put the brakes on and she sat there for about thirty seconds when this 4x4 buck ran out. he then proceeded to mount her and do his thing for about 20 seconds and they just took off. pretty crazy.

I was in the corn field one night driving the grain cart and saw something on the corner of my lights. so i turned the tractor to see what it was and it was a coyote. I watched it sneek up on a clump of weeds in the field. Out of nowhere a pheasant flushes and the coyote jumps up and snags it about 4 ft up in the air. It was quite exciting

A long time ago a badger chased my friend who had to take a leak back to the truck! We were on a fishing/scouting trip in NO.CAL their were three of us 'bout an hour left of drivin to the lake we stop because we got tired of him moaning, so we pulled over and so now he want to walk about 45-50 yds away to also to get the blood flowing back in he legs.
He walks up an old railroad berm, stand there like Moses holding the 10 commandments pauses ...then lets out a big sqweel and runs fast back to the truck and me and my friend look at each other horrifed not knowing what the f..k to think jump back into the truck look back at our buddy running back to us and then it hits us he must have hosed him and hes(the badger) pissed! that was the coolest animal feat we ever saw the last 15 yd was all air into the truck, the badger was in a hole and he thought it was a cool target! had to be their!!

Someone should write a book. These experiences are really cool to listen to.

How many of you have ever had a antelope buck run beside you at a distance parrallel while you are driving down the road and keep getting closer and closer and closer then cross the road in front of your vehicle then once he gets to the other side the contest is over and he slows down and stops and just stands there staring at you? I have had this happen several times. The fastest one to cross in front of me was clocked at almost 60 mph! and he had a lot more to go

I've seen several odd things in the wilds.
I was sitting on the ground with my back to a tree deer hunting and had a porcupine walk up to me, crawl across my legs then make his way up the tree I was sitting against. Freaked the hell out of me but I didn't dare move. My Dad told me when I was a kid to never kill a porcupine because if you are ever lost and hungry and don't have a gun this is the only animal in the wild you can catch and kill with a rock for food.

Another time I was elk hunting and sitting in a pile of deadfall in an opening next to a tree line and had a weasel come up to me. He crawled all over me including sitting on my shoulder and I shared two ham sandwiches and some Cheeto's with him. The cool thing about remembering that experience is it happened again over twenty years later while hunting with my five year old son. To see the look on his face while he was feeding the weasel was priceless and I was watching my boy more than I was the weasel.

Another odd thing I witnessed was when I was fourteen I was fishing at the small pond at Bear Lodge in the Big Horns and out about twenty yards in front of me a moth landed on the water. Then a barn swallow came swooping across the water to snatch it up and at the same time a huge rainbow went for the moth. The rainbow wound up getting the moth and the barn swallow at the same time! It was a big fish. The bird never came back up. This was the most bizzar thing I have witnessed.

Okay one more.
I was 12 at the time and fishing in a river by my home and had on the trusty red and white Daredevil lure.While reeling the lure in a Mallard duck came by and saw my lure in the water and swooped down and snatched it up. My brother and a friend witnessed this and I tried reeling him in but he took out all my line.It finally broke and he made off with my lure and a couple hundred yards of 8lb.test. I'm sure the treble hook didn't come out and the bird died later on from starvation or infection.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom