Odd locked-rack bucks

NVPete

Very Active Member
Here's an odd pic of locked-rack bucks. I'm guessing somehow the apparently healthy-looking survivor of battle attacked an already dead or decomposing head. I can't imagine a buck ripping off anothers head.

Locked-rack bucks.jpg

9 times out of 10 when to bucks get locked both die. Once in a rare while this happens. Sometimes one of the two survives the fight and then survives the army of coyotes that descend upon the looser. If he survives the fight and the coyotes this picture is what you get. I have seen others like him.

Pretty clean looking cut of the hide on the neck of the dead buck, I’m betting someone cut it to free the healthy buck.

Probably thought the head would fall loose without the bind of the dead deers weight or planned to cut an antler or work it loose and the buck escaped first.

It would be interesting to know if he survived. It must be an old picture since there’s no rut anywhere. I bet it died. It smelled like death and must have attracted all kinds of predators wherever he went. Probably couldn’t escape too well with another head attached.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom