odds going up

jd332001

anyone else get screwed by the odds going up? based on last year i had 100% chance of drawing the elk tag i put in for with 7 pts as a resident (some people with 6 drew last year). this year with 7 pts i didnt get it. thats a pretty big jump for one year. i know the odds go up but to go from 40% with 6 to not even drawing with 7. thats sucks, just venting. oh well, hopefully pnt banking comes back so i can archery hunt the unit twice.

Same thing happened to me. I had 9 antelope points and put in for a unit that was drawn with 8 last year and didn't draw with 9 this year. My buddy drew it with 9. Sucks!
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

It sounds like some with 7 points probably drew, you were just one of the unlucky that did not. I bet you would be guaranteed next year with 8. You say that 40% with 6 points drew last year, but you did not say how many tags there were and how many with 7 points drew last year (were there a significant number with 7 or just a few applicants). Points creep definitely stinks, you eventually catch up, it just takes time. Good luck in future draws.

If 40% drew with 6 pts last year and those same guys put in they all have 7 pts this year so you were not a sure thing with 7 pts with no new applicants switching to the unit depending on the numbers. 60% of the guys with 6 pts last year didn't draw so the minimum pts to draw should be 7 for sure. It may have been 75% drew with 7 and you were just unlucky.

ok, so here were the odds for 2008. 30 tags total which leaves 20 for residents (65 percent). 5 people out of 14 with 6 points last year drew the tag. everyone else drew. that is about 35% based on last years numbers. so even if those 8 guys and myself all had 7 we should have all drew except for the fact that a lot of people must have jumped to this unit. it could easily happen as there are only 30 total tags for this unit. oh well like I said, hopefully point banking comes back for next year (I think 8 points for this hunt is too much) so I can archery hunt it. crazy that point creep could go up this much.

Looks like more applications this year than last year over all.Will not be as many leftover licenses as prior years.

this is a good example of how bad its getting, I remember a couple of us saving two points and drawing unit 61 first season rifle elk, we had a great hunt, saved up two more points and drew again, been saving ever since, I now have 12 points after this year and still don't have enough to draw that hunt again. the point creep,kinda feel sorry for the younger hunters

Well i had 13 N.R. points going into this draw and i believe there where 32 of us for the unit 61 Archery Elk.Not one person with 13 points drew.Very Very discouraging i may have to look at different options for next year before they get out of reach.There are alot of people with more points then me that are just waiting to jump in.

Oilcan, I am in the same boat as you are, 13 nr points for elk. been trying to draw a 61 archery-elk tag for the last 4-5 years. Cant wait any longer, gettin too old.I am going to review odds and try elsewhere next year.

The thing that sucks is I have invested a lot of time and effort scouting the unit and probably will never get to hunt it for elk.

so i just checked the draw summary and its not as bad as i thought overall (just bad for me). i was the only one with seven points who didnt draw (just my luck). oh well thats part of the game. i am happy to see that it wasnt any worse that that. dikndirt that sucks. its just hard for me to believe that colorado elk units take this long for our best units that would be an average unit in utah or arizona.

Oilcan, sorry to hear you didn't draw. In My Opinion, it's still worth persuing. Based on my experence, you may find another unit with better quality but not the numbers and playing with bulls everyday is why I archery hunt em.

Good luck in whatever you decide and in the other draws.

Thanks Califelkslayer i"ll probably hang in there a couple more years and see how it's looking before i bail.Just looking at the stats theres 1710 people with 14 or more points who put in for P.P. only this draw.Thats very discouraging Colorado just does not have enough quality limited entry units to support that many high point applicants.

Think the Elk point creep was bad, wait for the deer numbers to come out. There will be a huge shift from some of the hardest hit winter kill areas to some of the other units. I bet there is going to be some disapointed guys out there soon.

Rich

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom