ODFW Increased deer tags this year in alot of areas!!!

BlueMountainAdventures

Hey guys, I was just studying tag numbers online and saw this.....check out the link. What do you guys think of this? The Director told us ALL he sees the major decline in deer number and will address this issue.

He sure did!!!! They INCREASED tags or kept the same amount of tags for 2010!! WTF?

Someone post some ideas what they are thinking.....I am stumped!

I expected a HUGE tag reduction, not INCREASE!

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2010/april/docs/DEER%20BUCK%202010-2011%20draft%20(3May10).pdf

What are you talking about Bob. Only a half dozen or so units in the state had tag increses.

Units with tag Changes

N. Bank Habitat down 5 tags 50% reduction
S. Central area
K-Falls down 110 tags a good thing here
Interstate Down 275 tags
all other units remain same.

Central Area no tag changes.

Columbia
West Biggs increase of 100 tags
All other areas remain the same.

NE Area
Fossil Increase of 50 tags
Murders Creek Reduction of 50 tags
Desolation Reduction of 165 tags
Catherine Creek Increase of 4 tags
E. Mt. Emily Reduction 54 tags
Pine Creek Increase 27 tags
Keating Reduction 5 tags
Lookout Mtn. Increase 57 tags
Beulah Reduction 165 tags
Se Beulah Reduction 54 tags
ALl other units remain the same.

SE Area
Owyhee up 55 tags
Beattys Butte down 2 tags
Wagontire down 54
S. Warner down 55
all other units remain the same

Archery
N. Bank down 10 tags
S. Paulina down 22 tags
MAURY NEW HUNT 127 tags Est. So a reduction of I would say between 3-400 hunters bow hunters in that unit at least.
STEENS NEW HUNT EST. 136 tags. Estimated reduction of over 1000 bow hunters in the unit for the year.
all three Hart Mountain hunts down 5 tags each bow hunt total 15.
N. WARNER BOW NEW HUNT EST. 44 tags and S. WARNER BOW NEW HUNT EST. 104 tags. Estimated reduction of over 500-750 bow hunters in the unit for the year.

Smoke Pole Hunters

S. Paulina down 45 tags
Baker Hunt up 30

Hart Mountain Down 5

Total tags for 2009 were 62,333 and total proposed tags for 2010 62004 With 4 new hunts totaling adding about 400 tags to the pool and you need to estimate that 2000 or so bow hunters have lost there hunting areas. Out of all the tag changes only 7 units had increases and those increases only total 323 tags.

There were 16 units/hunts with tag reductions the total of eliminated tags was 1076. That does not count the new Maury, Steens, or Warner deer hunts. so about a 753 tag change which is not bad considering the bow hunters are the ones who took the brunt of the loss of hunting opportunities.

It is a shame but those units really need some help I do know that a bunch of cats hit the dirt in the warners already :)

Dave

David,
The units I have been in for years are MAJORLY in a decline.....but they raised the tag numbers in MOST of those units. I am shocked that there is not a MAJOR reduction in most all of the eastern Oregon units. Lookout Mtn for instance.....deer are doing terrible there.....but they raise the tags by 57 tags!?!

I am at a loss to ODFW management objectives now...

Curious???????

How does the director of ODFW get his job? Is he appointed by someone? Voted in by someone? Have heard he is appointed by the Governor but I don't know if that is fact or not. As bad as this whole state needs a change in direction, think maybe it's long overdue (sarcasm) on ODFW's direction. Curious what other peoples thoughts and stances were on this?

Not sure on thet one.....it sure as hell not cause of his ability to manage wildlife. Its just a political position.

Also.....have to copy and paste the WHOLE link to get it to work.

It may be a political position but he has the power to fix the problem. It's a matter of being knowledgeable enough to first admit there is a problem, then set up a plan to fix it. So far their plan is like wiping before you poop, just don't make sense!

I agree about Lookout Mt.That herd is in terrible shape. We're just not seeing close to the amount of deer we saw 10 years ago. Major predator problems,3 cougars killed around homes this past winter.That increase and the limited amount of public land will lead to some pissed-off hunters this Fall. Don't put it all on the director, he follows the recommendation of the district offices.

Since the governor appoints the directors we need a major change in our governor, and Pissoffer isn't going to be that change we already know how he rolls.

ODFW might as well double the tag numbers, really how can they lose?

Regardless of the slight number of tags up or down, ODFW needs to do total unit closures like they did in the early 80's due to winter kill. Use this couple of years to get control of the cats and try to get the deer population back on track.

>Regardless of the slight number of
>tags up or down, ODFW
>needs to do total unit
>closures like they did in
>the early 80's due to
>winter kill. Use this couple
>of years to get control
> of the cats and
>try to get the deer
>population back on track.

I know a guy in medford Or. who was hired as one of the state trapper under the gise of bringing the cat population down, three years ago, he's yet to be called out.

Back
Top Bottom