Off range oryx???

Bill_in_MI

Just wondering how one goes about finding an off range hunt with an opportunity at a decent bull.

I pulled the trigger on a smaller bull on the range a couple of years back and want a do-over lol.

Point me in the right direction please.

Thx
Bill

An off range hunt with an opportunity at a decent bull..

Many have differing views of what a decent bull is, but off range, I say ANY oryx is a decent one.

You place your name in the hat with the other million crazies ( of which I am one ) and hope to get drawn.

If you are lucky and do get drawn, it is all about putting the miles on your truck, and distance on your boot leather.

I was lucky enough to go on 2 off range hunts this year, in August and in November, both successful.

The numbers aren't what they used to be, but you CAN see oryx. In August we took one opening day. After 14 hours of driving, and probably 400 miles on the truck we took the first 1 to give us a shot and it turned out to be ~32". Not a great bull, but respectable for off range.

Opening day of my daughter's hunt we saw 20+ oryx, 2 of which were at least 38" cows, but buck fever overtook my 11 year old, and those lived to see another day. On the 5th day out she took a 26" young bull out of a herd of 8 ( 2 of which I figured were in the 36" range ), but she is 11 and was told to take the best shot offered, 1 shot 1 kill, 325 yds. I couldn't be happpier.

We saw between 60 and 80 oryx on her 5 days that we were out and about, 50 of which were on the right side of the fence, just leaving dust trails, or a bit out of range for a novice hunter. We saw oryx, but we drove for 10-12 hours every day and glassed every hill/draw/yucca in the area we believe holds good numbers.

Read the posts on here about judging them, it takes a bit to learn, but it can be done fairly well if you take your time. Be ready to launch lead a long distance, they are quite wary on the outside ( i will have my 1st on range hunt in Feb, so I am not sure if there is a big difference in their habits on range, ( come on 40" plus broken horn lol ) )

I have been on 5 successful off range hunts, my biggest suggestion, GLASS GLASS GLASS learn how to pick them out of that ugly desert.

Good Luck in the draw, there are 2.5 weeks til your app is due. Check out monster muleys' draw odds site if you are looking for the better odds, but it is still a hard tag to draw.

NMYB

Yeah.... what yotebuster said. For a off range hunt I would shoot the biggest one outa the first ones I saw! :) They are not dumb animals off range and know where the fence is to get back on range. I have had a group of them 100yds on range just stand there looking at me knowing I couldn't shoot them, yet off range they take off to the fence after barely peaking my head out at 600yds! Anyways.... good luck on the draw!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-10 AT 05:16PM (MST)[p]My dad had that hunt last year and we saw about 6 of them with a 40" cow BUT they were right by the fence and we did not want to wound one and have it go on range. So we didnt shoot. plus they were too far. If you ask me I would not put in for that hunt. But it is possible. I would put in for on range even if you already if you drew you oil put in for broken horn. Its worth it and you could fix the horn. Off range is hard to find an Oryx. TRUST ME! And if you draw the off range hunt you cant be picky at all.

have to agree we hunted 12 days and saw 2 oryx but it was in the hot months never do that again 100+ degrees by 8am.Broken horn is the way to go.We drove from daylight to dark.That use to be such a good hunt but god forbid we have two animals elk and oryx thrive in this state!!!!!!

Private Land

Ted Turners place - Armendaris

There are others but you can see some nice ones on his place.

>Private Land
>
>Ted Turners place - Armendaris
>
>There are others but you can
>see some nice ones on
>his place.

Where can I find info on private land oryx hunts? I googled Teds place but came up empty. PM if you wish.

Thanks
"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-20-10
>AT 05:16?PM (MST)

>
>My dad had that hunt last
>year and we saw about
>6 of them with a
>40" cow BUT they were
>right by the fence and
>we did not want to
>wound one and have it
>go on range. So we
>didnt shoot. plus they were
>too far. If you ask
>me I would not put
>in for that hunt. But
>it is possible. I would
>put in for on range
>even if you already if
>you drew you oil put
>in for broken horn. Its
>worth it and you could
>fix the horn. Off range
>is hard to find an
>Oryx. TRUST ME! And if
>you draw the off range
>hunt you cant be picky
>at all.

Elk Sniper you are better man than I. I learned the hard way in shooting at off-range oryx that are close to the fence. If you get an opportunity at one that is within a half mile of that fence, be sure you can put it down QUICK. I shot one through the shoulder (200 yard shot) with my .300 WSM and he ran 1.2 miles to the fence and crossed. Game over. Really felt bad about that one. He was gushing good lung blood the whole time too. Probably the last ~36" bull I'll ever have a chance at. On the contrary, the next year, I shot one that was 50 yards from the fence and she dropped with one shot. It was a 30 yard shot through the shoulder. I guess the energy from the bullet hit was too great to overcome on that one. Of course she was an 11" OLD cow that was pregnant. Good luck!

The Beast is Dead, Long Live the Beast.

-The Nuge

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom