Officials concerned about DOW, state parks merger

Me neither. I have seen other states do something similar and some programs faultered such as wildlife. They took the dollars spent on hunting and fishing fees and delved them out to other areas within the organization. Not a fan of doing this.

Don't worry they'll just raise the prices again and we'll have more lost jobs like outfitters and taxidermists. Government at it's finest.

Yes, I fear this can't be good. does anyone know if they charge people to be on the hiking trails? do you need to buy some yearly pass or something? shouldn't they need to purchase a habitat stamp or something like that?

You guys that don't like the idea of this merger need to contact your state legislators this week and let them know about it. The bill is still being drafted and doesn't have a number yet, but it will be on the fast track once introduced. Just tell your representatives that you oppose any bill that would merge the CDOW and CO State Parks Dept., and tell them your concerns.

All sportsmen concerned about Colorado Wildlife should be concerned about this issue. This merger was done before in the late 60's and was done away with in the early 70's cause it did not work. History doesn't have to repeat its self. I have been talking with the DOW on this issue and some of the things that are being purposed are stupidly outrageous. One thing they want to do is make parks and DOW share trucks. The other is they are gonna look at the state parks that have fishing and hunting opportunity and say that they should be managed by DOW because they offer hunting and fishing then our DOW officers are going to have to check campsites, fishermen, boaters, and share a truck with the rangers if they keep them. It takes a 4 year degree and one year of training to be a warden you don't have to have anything to be a park ranger. So rangers can't do the things a warden does.
If this happens we will have an underfunded inefficient Division of Wildlife just in time for the wolves to get here and then we will be in the same boat as Idaho and Montana. The DOW is already having budget cuts as it is and i have seen they are not able to do the proactive research and projects that need to be done to ensure that we have healthy wildlife for the future.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/GovHickenlooper/CBON/1251589839177
Jerad

Letters to the Governor are fine, but you guys really need to write your state legislators. This was Hickenlooper's idea...it's very unlikely you are going to change his mind. But your legislators are going to be the ones voting on the bill very shortly. You need to let them know the opinions of those who will be re-electing them (or not).

why do you think the DOW is begging for more elk hunters? They are broke, and in turn, we will pay the price by throwing even more orange and hoochie mamas into the woods this fall.

Maybe if the DOW actually followed up on more poaching and trespassing calls, they could earn some money through levied fines...

Why do you think they're broke? They have a rather large cash reserve. How much do you think they spend on Deer & Elk management? How much does the DOW spend compared to other similar sized western states?

Do a little research and the numbers might surprise you

i just submitted a letter to the governor. took like 5 minutes.

take the time.

I agree that this merger is bad news. Just another money grab from the cash cow. There logic on why this merger is good is stupid.

For the guys that dislike all the nonresident elk hunters, get used to it. DOW is going to need more NR elk hunters since they are going to be the ones paying for this merger.

It warms my heart to know that my elk tag will now be paying for the pension plan of the toilet plunger operator at the Colorado state parks. LOL.

This is only happening because the state government is broke. On another note, I hate to say it but this country is heading for a big one because America is broke and getting broker by the day. You can only borrow and print extra dollars for so long.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom