OF's offer "Minimal Hunt Services" to comply with SB 196

huntmor2

Outfitters are adding a new price category to their websites, Minimal Hunting Guide Services to allow residents and NR to apply in the outfitter pool. The outfitter then provides the minimum services which is only to accompany a hunter in the field starting in the afternoon and ending in the morning.

So if I am reading this right, a hunter can pay this fee to be in the OF pool and still basically hunt on their own.
Only time will tell but it may be that Nonresidents will have to utilize these Minimal Hunting Guide Services to have any reasonable chance of drawing a tag in a quality unit.

FYI one outfitter is offing these "Services" for $650.00/each.

Maybe everyone is aware of this but I didnt see where it was discussed.

Thats a joke! I am not going give $650.00 to a Outfitters so I can use there number to get a chance at 10% of the tags! and it really not 10% for the Nonresident , So I think I would have a better chance at the 6%,

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 02:53PM (MST)[p]Virtually every western state has outfitters that provide drop camps. They tell where the camp is and off you go, then pack your animal out if you get one. Other than that, you never see them.
Common everywhere but NM evidently.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 03:46PM (MST)[p]This is not drop camp!
This is drop your check in the mail so you can apply with my OF #. I'm not saying the outfitters are at fault for offering this, it is perfectly legal as set fourth by sb196 and these guys are adapting their business as a result.

Also it's not as simple as 6% and 10%. In some cases with Nmgf rounding up or down 10% means twice as many tags as 6% and when you factor that some hunts have twice as many DIY applicants as outfitter applicants you quickly see how the non residents odds could be better in the outfitter pool.

Basically twice as many hunters (DIY NR) applying for half as many tags..

The wild card is that residents are now eligible for the OF Pool. Time will tell how many residents take that option. Looks like it will cost em though.

From what I've read in other threads some variation of this concept has been taking place before sb196 whereas nonresidents have been applying in the outfitter pool but actually hunt DIY. Somehow they claim it was legal. IDK

Well I am not playing the game! I will take the 6% chance and Donate that $650.00 to another state that gives me 10%! So basically any of the other state that I hunt, and yes if I sound alittle sour, i am.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 07:03PM (MST)[p]The 6% sucks for sure.
The greatest interest regarding Western Elk hunting on the Internet forums is a 7-10 day bivy hunt. Most of the interest is from first timers, East of the Rockies, with not enough gear and even less Elk knowledge. An Outfitter that can cater to the "semi DIY" guys ie; rent them gear, spend time in the area with them, then let them go, I think will have an added service that will sell. You're not going to sell them a traditional guided hunt, that's not what they want. They want to do it on their own, with a kick start.
It costs money to get those guides to the unit, so I don't see $650 as out of line.

I see $650 way out of line, You have close to a $800 in tags and license fee for NR plus travel and now they want a $650 fee just to be in a 10% outfitter draw pool. That only a 4% higher percent then the regular draw which is 6%, so maybe NM F&G dept should just ask for a $400 fee if you draw. Hell if you want money just charge more for crossing the stateline. LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 09:14PM (MST)[p]As a part of a group I can do a drop camp for less than that per person and get in the OF pool.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-11 AT 08:38PM (MST)[p]Zim and Gator! you guys are funny as Sh.t! they can bite me on that $650 fee! I can buy a new set of the top of the line SITKA Camo gear for that price and still hunt a Bulls in Utah!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom