Ogden area sheds

huntindad4

Very Active Member
My youngest daughter moved to Ogden a few months back and is looking for places to shed hunt.

Moved there with her engineer boyfriend who is as of now a non-hunter but a great guy. They have a 3 month old lab puppy they would like to teach to find sheds. My daughter has always enjoyed shed hunting on our annual memorial weekend camping trips to modoc County here in Kali and would like to start looking there.

Strictly recreational, not looking to sell sheds and not looking for your Hotspot. Although it's awesome to find giant Browns they are ok with small to average whites. Just really enjoys it.
Screenshot_20230417_112707_Photos~2.jpg

A typical good day for us with the match on this end being her first matched set.

Thanks for any help. We appreciate it and respect and understand any hesitation to help.

I would Second the WMA idea. I live in Ogden, and there is not much to hit here close to home other than the Wasatch front, but there are very few groups of bucks to find on the front. They are scattered and usually end up in people's yards (especially this year). I hit the WMAs each year and usually do decent. Henefer, East Canyon, and Middle fork are your best bets. They open the 2nd Saturday of April every year (except on bad snow years like this one. Closure extended to May 1st). Good Luck.

Figured I would add they would travel an hour or two to spend a day shed hunting. I know zero about the area and the suggestions made so far so maybe those already take that into consideration.

Also PM's are fine if you don't want the pros reading about your spot but don't mind a couple amateurs hitting an area.

Figured I would add they would travel an hour or two to spend a day shed hunting. I know zero about the area and the suggestions made so far so maybe those already take that into consideration.

Also PM's are fine if you don't want the pros reading about your spot but don't mind a couple amateurs hitting an area.
All those WMAs mentioned are 30min - 45min away from Ogden.

Plenty of critters on all the WMAs this year. Should be a great year to find sheds up there (rough winter for the animals though). Make sure she is there May 1st. It will be crowded, but probably very fruitful. Lots of deer and elk. Here's a few pics from a few months ago I took.

20830.jpeg

20838.jpeg

20843.jpeg

20840.jpeg

This area is all private now. DWR sold it to a guy from Hawaii that will never set foot on it. I'm sure there will be houses up there soon.
Too bad the DWR didn't at least provide for a public right of way to get to the forest land above. Or does the shoreline trail go up that way? It's been awhile since I've bothered to look at that area.

Too bad the DWR didn't at least provide for a public right of way to get to the forest land above. Or does the shoreline trail go up that way? It's been awhile since I've bothered to look at that area.
It's a strange situation. One day it was public, the next it was private. Now there are signs all over where you used to access the road that heads up there. The signs say no Trespassing and have a number to call. I have called the # several times and never get an answer. If you look at OnX maps now it's private and the guy that owns it has an address in Hawaii. I think I found some info to try and contact him and never got a response. Always sucks to lose public ground in your backyard. I hunted that on the extended archery hunt several times. Loved that area.

If the road that goes through that property accessed public property and had been used that way in the past. I know there is rlues on how many years it was used as public access and how many years it has been closed, but it still could be a public right of way.
Some land owners did that In the area I live. The County Attorney at the time would not do anything. We got a new County Attorney and he asked the Sheriff and the County Fire Warden to report any roads they felt should be open through private property that connected to public property, then he went through the process and got quite a few roads opened back up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom