Ok, I'm looking for more advice.

smitty

Very Active Member
So, as many of you know I started a clothing/gear company called Raw Dog Hunting Company.

My advertising/marketing budget is zero. We are actually in the hole a few thousand bucks right now. I bought an enclosed trailer, a pretty sweet display to show our stuff at expos, and got a bunch of inventory. My dilemma is this, I've done a couple expos now, the Salt Lake show was pretty good, expensive booth, but we sold quit a bit. We just did a show in Vernal, not nearly as expensive a booth, but no one was buying anything!

So, I'm wondering if the better thing to do is, take the money I would be spending for expo booth rentals, and apply that to making an online presence? I know some vendors do really well at expos, but I have a full time job as well as a painting contractor. Just wondering/thinking out loud, what have you guys seen/done/experienced with this type of deal?

I'm toying with the idea of doing one more gun show in Provo towards the end of April, but I'm hesitant.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Become an Instagram whore...make connections there and push your line with those others in the industry. I scratch your back, you scratch mine kind of thing.
Good luck with it. Apparel if a TOUGH one to carve a inch out of.

Traditional >>>------->

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-14 AT 10:34PM (MST)[p]Prostaff pics of sucess is always fun to look at. I would never buy any hunting gear without knowing someone that's tried it first. Are you on facebook yet? I've just did a internet search and can't find anything.

Instagram, Facebook, Twitter - it's all FREE! You have to leverage that. Accept payment throuth PayPal Get the word out before the expos or shows.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

Here's what i'd like to be able to buy, polyester in bigger sizes.

For awhile there, i was able to buy 4xl polyester fleece pants on e-bay and other websites. It might still be there but in the bigger sizes, it's really tuff to find at a reasonable price. I don't believe that the material is expensive but for me, it's a great outdoor material. The stuff is quiet, warm, long wearing, does not retain water, and is a 100% improvement over cotton. It dries out really quick.

Shirts and pants, polyester fleece or just plain polyester for warmer weather, in bigger sizes than what is normally available for the bigger guys like me that can't get what they want. my $.02

7xl shirt, 4xl bottom. Reasonably priced, i'm a buyer!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

7XL?? Holy Sh!t Sage!

Well, I'll see what I can do to help you out. I know that the extra big stuff gets spendy. I get dinged a lot extra for anything over 2XL. I'll look into the polyester thing. Sounds like there may be a market for it?

Thanks guys, I know next to nothing about instagram and all that other stuff, yes we are on Facebook, if you do some looking you'll find us. It's listed as a clothing company.

I'm probably going to get an intern from the USU marketing department that is going into sales as a career. (I was told to do this by someone that knows more than me!) He said that would be a very cost efficient and effective way to get going.

Thanks for the input.

I'm only a young guy, but I will be going into the marketing program at usu this fall. While I don't have too much experience with clothing I am currently working with a new sports drink company and our biggest successes are with social media. One of our competitors went with billboards and they are already out of business. I really think that I could help you out if you gave me the opportunity.

JUDAS sage!

smitty was trying to convince me I only wear a LARGE!:D

Let's just say this smitty:

The Basin Ain't the Best Place to make a Living with these Tight Bastages!:D

Thanks for the Hoodie smitty!

Hope all goes Well!

Just Don't let it Dip in to Your Alaska Trip!:D:D:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

One more piece of advice smitty!

Get the Bikinis/Panties/Beziers and then Hire 2Lumpy to Sell them!:D

He Likes Promoting them Types of Products & said He Loves Fitting/Sizing them up!

I'll bet He'll almost work for Free,LMAO!:D:D:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

One more thing smitty!

I know that stuff is Spendy!

But I Honestly believe in todays Outdoors World You'd sell a bunch of Stuff if you had it in Camo!

Camo this!

Camo that!

Everything is Camo!

I often wonder if all the Critters in the Woods are getting Sick of it by now?:D

There was a HOT Gal at the EXPO wanting some Crotchless Panties!

Next thing I noticed was a Guy we all Know modifying some with his Pocket Knife!:D

Hey Bess, we are looking into getting camo yoga pants and leggings for the ladies. Panties are down the line a little ways. But we do have plans for Raw Dog panties. Kinda catchy.

-Web page
No need to be too crazy, WordPress may do it for you
get your Domain name purchase
-Social Media
get on Twitter, Facebook, etc...post daily
-Get the word out
Have some gear reviewers pick you up, they will expand your reach dramatically

Good luck

>Thanks guys, I know next to
>nothing about instagram and all
>that other stuff, yes we
>are on Facebook, if you
>do some looking you'll find
>us. It's listed as a
>clothing company.

Post a link to your facebook page. I can't find anything anywhere about your company.

>
>>Thanks guys, I know next to
>>nothing about instagram and all
>>that other stuff, yes we
>>are on Facebook, if you
>>do some looking you'll find
>>us. It's listed as a
>>clothing company.
>
>
>Post a link to your facebook
>page. I can't find anything
>anywhere about your company.

I finally found it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raw-Dog/488454131261064

IMO, you need more pics of your products and info on there.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-14 AT 01:43AM (MST)[p]I just spent 30 seconds on the facebook page to see what you're selling.
Obviously, you're not selling anything.

If the link is really your company Facebook page I think you had better get some marketing help and start over. A lot of political commentary on your posting but I can't tell that you're trying to sell something. A webpage should be your first priority.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-14 AT 02:45PM (MST)[p]Your approach is, frankly, a mess. What led you to think you were ready to risk money to launch?

Some basic info for you if is not too late. You can compete on 1 and maybe 2 of these 3 factors but you can never survive focusing on all 3 and are best served doing 1 of the 3 very, very well: low price, high quality, super customer service. WalMart excels at low price. Want the lightest mountain tent or a custom wall tent then do not bother visiting WalMart. KUIU has great quality compared to what you find at WalMart but price for a camo shirt is higher and they may be backordered. Your local archery shop may let you try out a bow on their range and measure your draw length and stay late one evening to repair your bow the night before your elk hunt but prices will be higher as you get best service.

So what are you going to be as a company? Hobby or a venture you put 80 hours per week into. If you do not appear serious to a stranger then why would I buy an item since maybe you are a scam or you shut down next week when I need to order more or get a replacement.

Pick 1 of 3 then get maniacal about being the best at that plus promote that on FB, Twitter, etc.

Good Luck.

I'm picturing you standing in front of the "sharks" on shark tank and hearing Kevin O'Leary tell you you're nothing but a hobby because you make no money. And Mark Cuban telling you you're not dedicated because you haven't quit your full time job yet to put your full effort and motivation into the company.

Some guys have given you some good advice. Social media is where it's at. I'll tell you hat my recipe for success would be for you. Think- Hyundai. 10 years ago Hyundai was selling their vehicles very cheap as they had a poor reputation. With that low price came the longest warranty in the industry. As people began purchasing their cars, the cars were outperforming their own previous lines and now they are not seen as a crappy car and frankly, they are everywhere.

You have to figure out who you are competing with quality wise and price-point wise. Then offer better quality, or a lower price than those competitors. After building the brand, you go after the big boys... Unless you have invisibility cloak. Then you're gonna be a billionaire

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

You Hear that smitty?

"BILLIONAIRE"!

Don't forget you've got a few Friends smitty!

Wow. Some guys are harsh.

Did I mention that we are just barely getting going, with zero budget?

It's interesting to read others perspectives. I do appreciate the good advice, and bad actually. I'm not a marketing wizard, in fact nobody has ever started out as one, that comes with time. I'm not trying to win some imaginary race against everybody else, I'm sure as hell not going on shark tank. I'm just a guy like a lot of others here on MM. I don't make a ton of money, I don't know everything about everything. I've simply come here, (maybe mistakenly) trying to get the word out about a new venture I'm pursuing. If it doesn't live up to your standards, well then, that's totally fine.

So having said that, I will be posting more product pics on Facebook. I didn't want to whore out on every post, just about my products. That gets annoying. But, if the general observation is we aren't selling anything, well that needs to be addressed. We haven't pushed too hard yet simply because our website isn't up yet. It will be shortly.

So, please don't expect us to have the greatest, most technologically advanced gear that you've ever seen, yet. You have to realize, I'm not KUIU, or Sitka, or Mystery Ranch. Those guys have millions of dollars at their disposal. We are a small town startup business. Trying to make something work. So you can either encourage the American dream, or you can be a hater. Either way. We will continue trying.

Its your facebook page, you can whore it out as much as you want.

Looking forward to seeing the website and hopefully buying some stuff.

Thanks for your reply to my PM. That kind of open communication means alot to me and probably many others. Its nice to ask questions right to the owner and get answers.

I was going to suggest putting more pics of your products on facebook, but I see you are already planning on it.

>Wow. Some guys are harsh.
>
>Did I mention that we are
>just barely getting going, with
>zero budget?
>
>It's interesting to read others perspectives.
>I do appreciate the good
>advice, and bad actually. I'm
>not a marketing wizard, in
>fact nobody has ever started
>out as one, that comes
>with time. I'm not trying
>to win some imaginary race
>against everybody else, I'm sure
>as hell not going on
>shark tank. I'm just a
>guy like a lot of
>others here on MM. I
>don't make a ton of
>money, I don't know everything
>about everything. I've simply come
>here, (maybe mistakenly) trying to
>get the word out about
>a new venture I'm pursuing.
>If it doesn't live up
>to your standards, well then,
>that's totally fine.
>
>So having said that, I will
>be posting more product pics
>on Facebook. I didn't want
>to whore out on every
>post, just about my products.
>That gets annoying. But, if
>the general observation is we
>aren't selling anything, well that
>needs to be addressed. We
>haven't pushed too hard yet
>simply because our website isn't
>up yet. It will be
>shortly.
>
>So, please don't expect us to
>have the greatest, most technologically
>advanced gear that you've ever
>seen, yet. You have to
>realize, I'm not KUIU, or
>Sitka, or Mystery Ranch. Those
>guys have millions of dollars
>at their disposal. We are
>a small town startup business.
>Trying to make something work.
>So you can either encourage
>the American dream, or you
>can be a hater. Either
>way. We will continue trying.
>

Harsh? You have no idea how close you are to roadkill. Trying to get you to realize you have stepped onto a busy roadway. You spent money but left nothing for marketing. Seriously? That is not running a business. That is merely burning through your dry powder of cash. Cash is life. No cash to execute a robust business plan is roadkill.

Example. Say I claim to want to be an Olympic class runner but my main job and family obligation keeps me from training more than 1 hour a day and I have zero left for a nutrition budget after I bought my cool clothing. Are you going to get real and intervene or instead politely cheer me on while exchanging knowing glances with everyone else that I am clueless about what it takes to become a serious competitor? That I have misspent my funds. That I am doomed on this trajectory.

Listen. That inner voice you are listening to is a liar and setting you up for failure. Spectacular failure. Listen to people who are not your fan club. You need to make drastic changes to how you spend funds.

Did you research the market before sketched out logo and clothing styles? How many strangers were asked about what they want in a new clothing line? How much do they make a year and spend on clothing and gear? Do they buy mostly on line, in store, at shoes, etc. Did you base it on your tastes?

If you drive sales up with a revamped strategy then check your rear view because existing companies will notice you are taking food out of their kid's mouths and it will get bare knuckled so if you are a nice guy they will end your dream just as you start to get comfortable can take a breath to relax after 3 years of 80 hour weeks.

Hobbies are easy. No problem if have zero money to do market research and invest in promotion. Wait by the side of the road with a sign saying Better Mousetrap Here. Your offerings are functionally the same as other companies so quickly figure out marketing is your friend.

Good luck and by the way most of your buddies will pay not one more cent to buy American rather than imported. WalMart did not get big with your buddies buying American.

>>Wow. Some guys are harsh.
>>
>>Did I mention that we are
>>just barely getting going, with
>>zero budget?
>>
>>It's interesting to read others perspectives.
>>I do appreciate the good
>>advice, and bad actually. I'm
>>not a marketing wizard, in
>>fact nobody has ever started
>>out as one, that comes
>>with time. I'm not trying
>>to win some imaginary race
>>against everybody else, I'm sure
>>as hell not going on
>>shark tank. I'm just a
>>guy like a lot of
>>others here on MM. I
>>don't make a ton of
>>money, I don't know everything
>>about everything. I've simply come
>>here, (maybe mistakenly) trying to
>>get the word out about
>>a new venture I'm pursuing.
>>If it doesn't live up
>>to your standards, well then,
>>that's totally fine.
>>
>>So having said that, I will
>>be posting more product pics
>>on Facebook. I didn't want
>>to whore out on every
>>post, just about my products.
>>That gets annoying. But, if
>>the general observation is we
>>aren't selling anything, well that
>>needs to be addressed. We
>>haven't pushed too hard yet
>>simply because our website isn't
>>up yet. It will be
>>shortly.
>>
>>So, please don't expect us to
>>have the greatest, most technologically
>>advanced gear that you've ever
>>seen, yet. You have to
>>realize, I'm not KUIU, or
>>Sitka, or Mystery Ranch. Those
>>guys have millions of dollars
>>at their disposal. We are
>>a small town startup business.
>>Trying to make something work.
>>So you can either encourage
>>the American dream, or you
>>can be a hater. Either
>>way. We will continue trying.
>>
>
>Harsh? You have no idea how
>close you are to roadkill.
>Trying to get you to
>realize you have stepped onto
>a busy roadway. You spent
>money but left nothing for
>marketing. Seriously? That is not
>running a business. That is
>merely burning through your dry
>powder of cash. Cash is
>life. No cash to execute
>a robust business plan is
>roadkill.
>
>Example. Say I claim to want
>to be an Olympic class
>runner but my main job
>and family obligation keeps me
>from training more than 1
>hour a day and I
>have zero left for a
>nutrition budget after I bought
>my cool clothing. Are you
>going to get real and
>intervene or instead politely cheer
>me on while exchanging knowing
>glances with everyone else that
>I am clueless about what
>it takes to become a
>serious competitor? That I have
>misspent my funds. That I
>am doomed on this trajectory.
>
>
>Listen. That inner voice you are
>listening to is a liar
>and setting you up for
>failure. Spectacular failure. Listen to
>people who are not your
>fan club. You need to
>make drastic changes to how
>you spend funds.
>
>Did you research the market before
>sketched out logo and clothing
>styles? How many strangers were
>asked about what they want
>in a new clothing line?
>How much do they make
>a year and spend on
>clothing and gear? Do they
>buy mostly on line, in
>store, at shoes, etc. Did
>you base it on your
>tastes?
>
>If you drive sales up with
>a revamped strategy then check
>your rear view because existing
>companies will notice you are
>taking food out of their
>kid's mouths and it will
>get bare knuckled so if
>you are a nice guy
>they will end your dream
>just as you start to
>get comfortable can take a
>breath to relax after 3
>years of 80 hour weeks.
>
>
>Hobbies are easy. No problem if
>have zero money to do
>market research and invest in
>promotion. Wait by the side
>of the road with a
>sign saying Better Mousetrap Here.
>Your offerings are functionally the
>same as other companies so
>quickly figure out marketing is
>your friend.
>
>Good luck and by the way
>most of your buddies will
>pay not one more cent
>to buy American rather than
>imported. WalMart did not get
>big with your buddies buying
>American.

Hey Outdoors!

That last Sentence/Paragraph you Posted is the Biggest Bunch of BULLSSHIITT I've heard in a while!

I'm Sick & Tired of all the F'N CHINA built TRASH that's being stuffed down Our Throats!

I'd Gladly pay a little more to Keep a few American/USA Jobs around & You can GAWD-DAMNED Well bet I'll pay a little more for Quality!

The Sad part is there Ain't a lot of choices on the GARBAGE We spend Our Cash on these days!

When smitty becomes a BILLIONAIRE I'm still gonna be Friends with him!

One more thing Outdoors!

Did you know smitty is from Utah?

That Ought to make your day!

I appreciate you concern Outdoors. Really. I'm not na?ve about how difficult this is going to be. It's not the only business that I own and run. I don't have the goal of running Cabelas out of business. My plan is simply to carve out my own niche in the market, and grow as funds and demand allow.

There's more than one way to skin a cat as they say. I've gotta skin it with the tools that I have. But either way, the cat is gettin skinned.

Thanks.

>I appreciate you concern Outdoors. Really.
>I'm not na?ve about how
>difficult this is going to
>be. It's not the only
>business that I own and
>run. I don't have
>the goal of running Cabelas
>out of business. My plan
>is simply to carve out
>my own niche in the
>market, and grow as funds
>and demand allow.
>
>There's more than one way to
>skin a cat as they
>say. I've gotta skin it
>with the tools that I
>have. But either way, the
>cat is gettin skinned.
>
>Thanks.

So what is the niche you are trying to fill? So far you have said that you are not trying to compete with Kuiu or Cabelas. So you are not trying to be a high priced, good quality technical gear provider and you are not trying to be a low priced, low quality junk provider. Is your plan to be high priced, low quality provider? If so then march forward. If not then you need to make it known to the public what void you can fill in their constant need to waste money.

Outdoors gave you the best advice of anyone so far and you label him as a hater. He is one of the few that is actually being helpful to you. You should be seeking more advice like that. If you don't you should expect this venture to drain your bank account continually. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom