Ok, so now that we are 2 full weeks deep…

Bux n Dux

What have we seen out there? Are things as bad as assumed after the record breaking winter? Is the sky really not falling? Par for the course?

I haven’t really seen anyone complaining about the lack of animals, other than the usual suspects... (Here, facebook, instagram and other forums). Looks like some great bucks have been killed so far. Lots of general OTC elk being knocked down… but I haven’t seen people saying there’s an over abundance of animals either.

Personally from what I’ve seen in 4 units, elk are holding strong. Numbers look to be up from last year. Horn growth has been better than average and just about every cow has at least 1 calf with her. Lots of twins from what I can tell. Deer also seem to be slightly better than average. Lots of little bucks and A LOT of does packing twins. I don’t think things were as bad as predicted or assumed for the central region.

Pronghorn look OK-decent. But there certainly isn’t enough does and fawns to justify an antlerless hunt.

The turkeys are non-existent however. If there was a hunt that should ever get cancelled. The fall “harvest” tag needs to be put on hold for this year. It’s BAD!

What have YOU personally seen?

…Too bad everything will get killed by muzzleloaders with scopes in just a few weeks before the rifle hunters get a chance at them. ☹️

I’m interested to hear about Northern Utah, SE Idaho. The southern areas should be awesome this year.

NE Utah, where I have been, there's almost a complete lack of 1.5 yr old bucks. Saw a couple 2.5 yr olds. Lots of fawns with the few does we saw though. I assume from what we've seen that very few fawns made it through the winter. Elk look normal.

I Dove hunted on a property that borders the Idaho state line in Cache County yesterday.
I drove up about 1pm and spent until almost dark on the Bear River then drove home over to Tremonton from Logan side in the dark.
Did not see a single Deer before or after the sun went down.
Hopefully the foothills are lush and green enough the Deer have not had to hit the ag property yet.

I Dove hunted on a property that borders the Idaho state line in Cache County yesterday.
I drove up about 1pm and spent until almost dark on the Bear River then drove home over to Tremonton from Logan side in the dark.
Did not see a single Deer before or after the sun went down.
Hopefully the foothills are lush and green enough the Deer have not had to hit the ag property yet.
are there any doves left up there after the weather came through? Almost like clockwork every year we get enough weather right before dove season that they scatter off down south.

I am seeing more small bucks in my area than in the last couple years.. Very few mature bucks I have seen but overall more bucks..... for my Idaho tag though I do not have much hope up there. But we will see!

are there any doves left up there after the weather came through? Almost like clockwork every year we get enough weather right before dove season that they scatter off down south.
I hunted the late afternoon on the Opener, last Friday the 1st.
I wouldn’t be surprised if a few are still around but nothing like opening day!

Deer numbers seem static in the areas I’ve been, but I will say I’ve seen far less fawns with the does than I would normally anticipate seeing. That could pose a problem the next couple years, but things should rebound if conditions are decent.

Lots of elk, they did fine, but antler size seems to be down on the unit this year overall.

Deer numbers are so low in central Utah and western Wyoming this year that mule deer will soon be added to the endangered species list.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom