Oklahoma Turkey Hunting???

huntswnm

Has anyone ever hunted turkey in one of the WMA'a in Western OK? My dad and I are wanting to hunt some Rio's. So far our 2 options are 1)Hunt TX and pay some good money to get on some land 2)Hunt OK on public land. Any advice on areas, things like that are appreciated!!
THanks,
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

ellis wma is small, like 4500 acres, but there's lots of turkey there. the packsaddle has them along the main river bottoms but a lot of people hunt there. and the black kettle grassland has quite a few, but it's a difficult area to hunt. there's technically a lot of land there but it's all in small chunks and the turkey pass through them. i saw a flock of over 200 rios out there last year.

Krusty.jpg

i saw the title "OKLAHOMA TURKEY HUNTING" and thought this post was about my buddy from durant on his last deer hunt in new mex. sorry. o' course "oklahoma turkey" could apply to a buncha folks. we usually say ^#%$&^in' okie!!!!

So would you recomend any of these places or not? Should we just stick with TX?
Jeff

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

the black kettle is good if you have plenty of time to hit all the different areas. but i'd recommend ellis. that's where we do most of our turkey hunting. out of the three of us that hunt (dad, brother and me) at least one of us gets a turkey. we don't put to much effort into it, though. you'll see turkey on ellis, it's up to you whether you kill one or not. it's under hunted, too. i've only seen one other turkey hunter out there.

a couple of my turtle hunting spots are out there, too.

Krusty.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom