Old Dog New Tricks

Sparks Shooter

I was digging in the gun safe a few weeks ago and pulled out a gun from the past that had not been shot in at least 15 years, probably more like 18. It is a semi-custom built on a early generation Remington Sendero barreled action chambered in 300 RUM bedded into a McMillan stock with a OPS break and Kepplinger trigger. Back in the day, this was my pride and joy as it shot 185 Berger bullets as accurate as most varmint rifles. I decided to load up some newer bullets and powder to see how it would perform. I got some 220 ELD-X bullets and worked up loads with Retumbo, RL-25, and H-1000. With a little tweaking and adjustment to seating depth, I was able to shoot 5 groups yesterday that were all sub MOA with the best being one ragged hole. Even though I'll probably never use this rig on a regular basis again, it sure was fun to get it out and play around for a few days.
I've got a few more that I should probably get out and revisit before I buy any more. I was actually thinking about tearing this rifle apart and building one of the new-fangled PRCs. Seemed like the last couple groups were the rifle saying, "go ahead, you'll never get the new rig to shoot this good!"
:ROFLMAO: -----SS

Final Load:
Remington Brass
220 ELD-X
88.5 gr RL-25
F-215m primer
3.750 OAL
3020 FPS

IMG_3371.JPG

IMG_3372.JPG

Last edited:
I was digging in the gun safe a few weeks ago and pulled out a gun from the past that had not been shot in at least 15 years, probably more like 18. It is a semi-custom built on a early generation Remington Sendero barreled action chambered in 300 RUM bedded into a McMillan stock with a OPS break and Kepplinger trigger. Back in the day, this was my pride and joy as it shot 185 Berger bullets as accurate as most varmint rifles. I decided to load up some newer bullets and powder to see how it would perform. I got some 220 ELD-X bullets and worked up loads with Retumbo, RL-25, and H-1000. With a little tweaking and adjustment to seating depth, I was able to shoot 5 groups yesterday that were all sub MOA with the best being one ragged hole. Even though I'll probably never use this rig on a regular basis again, it sure was fun to get it out and play around for a few days.
I've got a few more that I should probably get out and revisit before I buy any more. I was actually thinking about tearing this rifle apart and building one of the new-fangled PRCs. Seemed like the last couple groups were the rifle saying, "go ahead, you'll never get the new rig to shoot this good!"
:ROFLMAO: -----SS

Final Load:
Remington Brass
220 ELD-X
88.5 gr RL-25
F-215m primer
3.750 OAL
3020 FPS

View attachment 130415

View attachment 130416
Dang, I wish I could shoot like that!
I feel good if I can keep 5 shots in a 2” circle.

My old dog RUM is being rebarreled and I am going lighter and faster. A 168 mono at 3600 fps is gonna be nasty. mtmuley
Light, fast monos are my favorite way to get it done on animals. I shoot 101 LRX bullets at 3500 in my 25-06AI and it makes lightening fast kills on deer and antelope out to 500 which is good enough for me. For heavier work I have a 280AI that spits out the 145 LRX at about 3200. -----SS

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom