Old Mossy Project Shed

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
I have been working on an old piece of crap shed that I really want to restore. I have got it sanded down and all the cracks are filled with Minwax wood putty. I sanded it again after the putty application. So now I have a nice smooth antler, but my problem is I can't get the greenish color out of the antler. I'm afraid the stain wont come out well at all with the two tone colors I have on the shed.
Here are the pics of the antler right after I found it.
6872old_mossy_3.jpg

7862old_mossy.jpg

586old_mossy_2.jpg

I don't have any pics of the antler at the current stage. But just picture the cracks filled and sanded smooth. I still have the green and brown colors on it.

I would appreciate any advice on getting these colors out and the antler whitened up for staining. I was told to wash is with detergent and hot water, so maybe I'll try that tonight.

Thanks,
Matt

you may not be able to restore it to its original color but it might look pretty cool just doing it how ever it will turn out

Try using the stuff used for bleaching human hair,you can get it just about anywhere.I would try it on a small spot first just to see the reaction.Then you can use acrylic water base paint to stain/paint it.

>Try using the stuff used for
>bleaching human hair,you can get
>it just about anywhere.I would
>try it on a small
>spot first just to see
>the reaction.Then you can use
>acrylic water base paint to
>stain/paint it.

I have used that on skulls and it actually eats away the bone. Not sure if I want to do that or not. But it may work, never tried it on antlers.
The stuff I have used is "Quick Blue". It's a powder you mix with developer into a paste. Works pretty good on old skulls.

Mass N Trash did a great job on a shed a while back. You might want to ask him how the van dykes wipe on/off paint would do on your antler.

Here's a link.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID18/4280.html

Be sure to post up some after photos. I've got a set I'd like to try to restore but don't want to mess it up trying.

You might want to google a product called WAM (wild antler magic) the guy that created the product is named Wes. He might be able to offer some advice.

I've used van dykes and it works great on hard white antlers that are still glossy. On chalky horns it just turns grey. you have to be sure you sand past the chalk to totally hard antler.

Try a deluted solution of household & water? I know it will kill the green mole.

Now that you have it all smooth just paint it a bone colored white and then paint the antler with different shades of brown til it looks good.

I let it soak in some hot water/bleach overnight. The hot water opened up all the cracks again and all the putty pretty much dissolved. So it looks like I'm back where I started.

I think it turned a little light in color, but it's still got the green.

I think I'll fill in all the cracks again and then paint the sucker white. Seems like there would be someone out there that could air brush some natural colors on a white antler making it look real. I may look into that.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-11 AT 02:35PM (MST)[p]Sand it, use corn meal in the cracks, then boiling linseed oil, let it dry for a while, then rub mulch or peet moss all over it- this will darken it up. You can decide how dark you want it by how much peet moss you use. I then use a satin clear coat to seal it and keep it from decaying.

Painting would overall look better over time and would hold up better- that is if it is done well.

"Half of being smart, is knowing what you're dumb about."

Filled the cracks again and sanded her down good. Starting to look like a hard white now. I may be getting somewhere afterall.

2256old_mossy_-_new_glossy.jpg

Well... I screwed the pooch.
I got impatient and put some stain on it. It's looks pretty bad. So I'm going to bleach it out again and start over. I will post pics when I get her bleached out again. Sorry to ruin the good thing I had going. I thought it would turn out good. Those old moss backs are hard to deal with.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom