Old School

B

bullwidgeon

Bored at work again and taking my spare time out on the MM Coues board!!!
This is a gorilla my grandfather killed in the days (Early 70's) before everyone had 15 power binos, when guys used to walk these deer up and brush beat them out. Back in the days when the guys down at the whitetail club in Tucson would kick you out if you even mentioned hunting carp... When a pair of 7x35 JC Penneys binos, a sandwich in your pocket, army surplus canteen and a pair of boots went a long way in coues hunting equipment. I think it is hilarious that all his children and his childrens children (chumps like me) with our thousand dollar glasses and super mega ultra magnums have still never killed a buck this big!!!
This buck was old, they found his sheds for 3 years before they killed him and saw him during archery pig season the prior 4 years to killing him. He had gone downhill for 2 years before he got killed. The buck gets screwed score wise due to lack of beams, he has something like 12 inch beams but his mass is incredible!!! I will take a just shy of Boone and Crockett Non Typical deer like this every day of the week! Sorry about the poor picture, my taking pictures with my crappy digital of real pictures just doesn't come out as clear as I would like. Hope you guys enjoy...
cariboo.jpg

Bret Mattausch

Man, that's a great buck Bret! Imagine what he would have looked like before he started declining. You said he took him in unit 27? :)

Scott

Brett: That buck is great. I cant believe the mass, and I am with you about non-typicals, I would really like a weird/droptine or palmated buck..... Allen......

Hey Scott,
I dont think they had coues deer in unit 27 waaaaay back then;-)! Hahahaha! It is not a 27 deer, I am however looking forward to you showing us all one of those big NT gorillas here soon ;-)!

You know Allen,
I was thinking, and out of the 100 or so plus coues deer my family has killed (they got to hunt in the 2 tag days) no one has got a droptine buck. They have killed a few freaks, including a few non scorable ones and some more palmated ones, but no droptines, that seems odd especially with all the pictures I seem to see of them. Find one for us in Mexico and show us all what they look like!

Bret M.

This deer right here is the reason I just dont care for B&C. Dont get me wrong, its great to have a universal scoring system to be able to talk about how big a certain animal is but when a deer of that quality is not recognized it disgusts me. I am a total gross score kinda guy. I could care less what a deer nets. What a great deer and thanks for sharing it. Drummond

Brett: I have seen pictures of two droptine bucks off the ranch I am hunting in Mexico. I would love to shoot some droptine buck, hopefully my prayers to the couesgod will bring me luck....Drummond, you are right, something like that buck and alot of others are true trophies that dont get recognized. I have a fantastic columbia blacktail with a couple cheaters, decent mass and black/brown horn color from alder tree rubbing that doesnt book, but it still is a trophy to me....... Allen......

they should just start weighing the antlers attached to the skull cap. for sure that buck would be way up there
Tom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom