Old Water Tanks in Unit 34

Josey_Wales

There are old water tanks scattered all over unit 34. I'm talking about big tanks...8 feet tall and probably 20 feet in diameter. You can see a lot of them in the satellite images.

Some of them have water catchment systems (like a big funnel on top), and some appear to be supplied by pipes.

Unfortunately, I have found very few of them that hold any water.

Does anyone know what the story is on the tanks...where they came from and why none of them seem to be maintained?

Aliens, not the illegal kind. The UFOs drop them off. They are here all the time. I know because I have been abducted and probed several times.

Most are old metal ones that are no longer in use. Some of the trick tanks are in dis repair. Some are good. If there is cattle around, there is water there somewhere.

Were these part of a game and fish program or a federal National Forest program.

Some look like they were installed back when that land was part of the Republic of Texas! That was even pre-alien days!

texrepb1.gif

holy crap paul, u were abducted? that would explain the moobs! they were implanted by the aliens. their actually very large antenna that transmit info back to the mothership! crap i gotta quit helping u harass urself. startin to make me feel bad and noone ever makes me feel bad lol

Don't know about the tanks,but New Mexico was here before anyone made trips into what is now Texas.Parts of Texas where NM. Colorado,Utah,Arizona where parts of NM.

I didn't mean to insinuate that New Mexico was discovered in 1836. I certainly appreciate the rich cultural diversity of the region east of the Rio Grand dating back to 10000 BC when prehistoric hunters roamed the area in search of mammoth, bison and other game.

Sorry for the hijack, Josey Wales!

Does anyone think there would be a problem if individuals did work to repair some of those water collection tanks? Would authorization need to come from the Forest Service?

According to the guy I know that does permitting and enforcement for the FS...

"Would NFS have a problem if a hunter repaired an existing but dysfunctional drinker/guzzler located on NF land?

"I think it would depend on the extent and quality of repairs. Most of the drinkers were installed by Game and Fish, who had volunteers who would periodically mantain them. Spring improvements on the other hand are usually maintained by ranchers. Often those improvements are only maintained when the relevant pasture is to be used and surface water is not available. If it's a drinker I would start with a call to the warden for that area.

So...Game and Fish probably owns the drinker/tank and FS is only concerned if the improvement is too much.

Sounds like an opportunity to "Adopt a Drunk."

Speaking of which, is Stinky the same as StumpE?

trade!!! Up to date info on water tanks, actual work parties, GPS locations, names, phone numbers, work pictures ( before and after ) etc. I know very little about sandhill hunting.
PM, phone or email or meet ( Cloudcroft Forest Headquarters )

NMPaul, nice. John @ Cloudcroft NFS. Come join some of us this next " work season ". Bring an atv, scrubber, ladder, etc and have fun. Oh yeah, lunch and snacks, water. And some young help would be nice.

Let us know when they are doing the repairs. PM me or post it up.

Hope it is not during hunting season. Me and my son and maybe some friends would like to go.

I heard of some BLM tanks out of Socorro Dist. that been spayed with truck bed liner to reseal them and it worked pretty good. Maybe someone knows a guy that does truck beds and work out a deal.

This may have changed-- we, under the National Wild Turkey Federation, entered an agreement with the Forest Service, in that we would accept responsibilty for maintenance of disignated wildlife watering units. To accomplish this requires pictures of the unit before, during and after maintenance. These pictures are then sent to Cloudcroft NFS.
As individuals, with the NFS, NDGF, other interested groups, we have fenced sensitive springs, other water areas, etc.
We are now under the banner of Predator Master.
Most work is undertaken during the summer months, so that hunting is not interfered with, and us old guys can help a bit.
I will get interested in this work when i can ride my atv in comfort in the mountains.
John Montoya, Cloudcroft NFS, was the goto person last i knew.

Hey all, I posted this on NM Bowsite & United Bowhunters of NM forum earlier this year, but this info is pertinent to this MM thread too.

I met with Dale Hall (ABQ G&F office) last spring. He's in charge of maintaining and constructing Habitat Imrprovement Projects. Obviously he does not perform the work all by himself, but he's the coordinator.

Habitat Stamp Improvements (HSI) consist of guzzlers/drinkers, their associated fencing (to keep cattle out), prescribed burn areas, dirt ponds/tanks, stream restoration, etc. They have about 2000 HSIs all around NM.

With regards to maintenance, we are typically concerned with guzzlers/drinkers and their associated fencing.

G&F is beginning to track their HSIs in a database and track the dates of inspection and maintenance. Last year they performed maintenance on about 400 HSIs.

Apparently one of the biggest problems with HSIs is vandalism. Whether by cattlemen cutting fences to allow cattle in, hunters too lazy to climb over a fence and instead driving their ATVs inside, bozos shooting holes in the tanks, guides/hunters modifying drinkers to make them into blinds or control the water flow for their own agendas, etc.

G&F spends ~$250K annually on maintenance of HSIs.

They take in ~$850K annually from sportsmen, which is allocated toward maintenance and improvements.

As an initial step, Dale Hall would appreciate calls/emails identifying any drinkers that are not functioning, as well as the apparent reason, if known.

Equally important would be notification of drinkers that ARE working, which would help G&F be more efficient with their time and not have to check up on working systems. They typically use UTM NAD 83, but can convert any GPS data.

G&F is eager to employ volunteer labor for construction & maintenance, and they can "invoice" that labor at $20/hr to offset matching funding from the Feds.

However, historically they haven't had much long-term success with volunteers because most groups burn out and quit after just a few projects. And volunteer groups typically don't 'adopt' HSIs long-term.

With regards to locations, G&F does have them in a database, but Dale said it's a double-edged sword. To date they have been hesitant to provide locations because even though it's legal to hunt over them, they don't want to encourage it. He said they currently have problems in the Sacramentos where an outfitter has all the guzzlers located and places his clients at blinds at all of them. G&F doesn't want to foster this type of activity.

The new HSI projects are now steering toward metal-type guzzlers as opposed to dirt tanks because they hold water more efficiently and are easier to keep cattle off of.

They also have begun installing welded pipe fences around their new HSIs to permanently keep cattle out.

Also should note that G&F/Dale does track improvements put in by RMEF, NWTF and others in their database.

No matter the 'ownership' of a drinker, if it is observed to not be working, notifiy Dale and he will in turn notify the appropriate entity if it is not a HSI structure.

G&F (understandably) does not maintain any structures not installed by the HS program, but they do try to coordinate and track the overall habitat improvements throughout the state.

I'be been looking back at my old maps to identify some of the broken guzzlers I've found in the past and let Dale know about them. In addition, report the 'working' ones I find.

For the success of the HS Program I'd recommend you all do the same.

Dale did note that there are many guzzlers and ponds out there that are NOT HSI projects; whether put in by private entities, RMEF, NWTF or other groups. With the possible exception of a vandalized location with the sign stolen, all HSIs will have "Habitat Stamp" brown signage at the location.

Dale Hall NM G&F ABQ office

[email protected]

505-222-4725

That's about all I can think of for now, but let me know if you have questions.

Carl

I see their spending 250K of the 850K they take in. If he will pay me just 100K of the remaining 600K, I'll work on those drinkers full time.

Thanks for the information, Carl. I'll definitely send him some locations. I am surprised there are enough operational guzzlers in the Sacramentos for an outfitter to map them out. Out of probably 25 of the big tanks I've seen, only two seemed to be working. And one is broken now.

I checked with my "team leader" and it seems that he had a proplem with point of contact at the NFS at Cloudcroft this past year. I told him that I would follow up on this matter and I intend to visit NFS office in Alamogordo soonest- Monday- and will post whatever information I can get. Perhaps I can ask the regional chief to post information concerning "our" forest.

"If you are lonely when alone, you are in bad company" Jean-Paul Sarte

i went to the Alamogordo Forest Building, met and talked with Forestery Officals. All of them seemed quite accepting of "our" offer to help maintain the wildlife watering units. And so it is started, i will contact all and etc.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom