Olympic Penninsula

R

rollcast

Has anyone every hunted in the Minot Peak area or the upper Wynoochee in Washington's Olympic Penninsula?

I have been hunting the Minot peak unit for about 5 years now. Have been successfull(sp) every year except for last year. Nothing huge but always large bodied. Last year was just to dry. It is a pretty thick unit. Anything else you would like to know just ask. Good luck.

Hey Colby
That upper Wynoochie gets hunted pretty hard. There are a lot of good road closure areas toward Minot Peak and Brooklyn. Most of the closed roads out by Brooklyn only get hunted within a mile of the gate. There are some dandy bucks and bears out there. It is worth checking out.
Eric

062802drink_prv.gif

Eric,
I hunted the Minot Peak area a couple of years ago - took a nice 5x5 blackie with good eyeguards. It has about a 18" spread. Although there are good road closures (at least posted by sign not gate) I have had a lot of hunters drive in on me. Nothing ruins a stalk deep into a ravine to have someone drive their rig to the end of the road and slam their doors.

Nonetheless, I have seen some good bucks in there. I have never had the chance to hunt the upper Wynoochee. We have mainly stuck to the Black Creek or Val Vista areas. I jumped a monster in there a few years back - it was early, dark and raining - so I never even got the chance to get a great look at him - all I couldsee were tines and deep forks.

I hear the Capitol Forest has some pretty good animals as well.

There are some nice critters in Capitol Forrest, but most of the better bucks are on the Oakville side. Try poking around the Cedar Creek area. If the weather stays the way it has been, stay down low and sneak through the brush. Find a little timbered ridge or saddle and just sit for a while. You would be supprised where those boogers can appear from. Most of the folks that hunt Capitol Forrest just drive on by the lower, brushy areas and miss some good bucks.
Get out and scout it now! Get an edge on the others.
Eric

062802drink_prv.gif

033102ass_1_prv.gif

flhumpy_e0.gif

Eric,
Headed there this weekend to get some scouting done. I'll let you know what I see.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom