Omega sight-in

milkie62

I originally used triple-seven to sight in my omega.It was terrible.I was using 245 grain power belt aero-tips.All my shots were good windage wise,but vertically the spread was almost 24 inches.I switched to Pyrodex with the same bullet and 5 shot groups tightened up to a fist-size group at 100 yards.The difference in just the powder was incredible.Anyone else with similar results.My gun will not shoot triple 7 pellets with any accuracy.I cannot wait to see what I get with a scope.Oh and my 200 yard shots drop about 12 inches.At both distances I use 90 grains of powder.

I had the same deal with my Omega. Tried for 3 years to get one of the new powders to shoot conicals but never had great success. Tried 777, blackmag3, and APP and a host of different conicals. That said, my brother's gun shoots 777 great with powerbelts, but not mine. Finally went back to pyrodex and it is shooting very well. With Omegas, you just get the luck of the draw with conicals. My brother and I bought our guns at the same time. He went out with 777 and powerbelts, and pretty much any powder amount and grain bullet is accurate out of his gun.

That said, my gun shoots sabots very well, but I hunt Colorado, so have to shoot conicals.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

777 is the most inaccurate trash of a powder I've ever tried... and I've tried alot. It seems to shoot well in some guns, just nothing I own.

-DallanC

I love 777 loose powder -- but only recommend Pyrodex in pellets.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Since I hunt Colorado, loose powder is all I can use, no pellets. In my Omega, the best I ever did with 777 was 7-8" groups at 100 yards. With loose pyrodex and the new platinum 338 bullets, I am getting 3-4" groups (open sights). With solid lead big conicals (no excuses, buffalo bullets, maxiballs, etc) my groups were much worse. I was lucky to get 3-4" groups at 25 yards with those. Again, everyone's gun is an individual, and the only thing that will tell you what your gun will shoot is range time and experimentation.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I am shooting with open sights as well, and with 777 loose powder. I haven't heard of so much trouble with 777 until now. My bro shoots the same out of a Winchester Apex and has been very accurate. We both shoot PowerBelt bullets. I got lucky as the first load I tried was apparently one that agreed with the rifle.

Like I said,I was getting worried that I had a dud of a rifle.I just cannot believe that every one of these Omega's does not shoot relatively the same.3 of us ordered them at the same time.2 of us shoot Pyrodex and one shoots triple 7 pellets OK.I would not have believed the difference in mine if I did not see it myself.I am glad I bought both powders when I did or I would have been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong with the way i was shooting.But I am impressed with the groups of the pyrodex.

Loose powder is the way to go. 777 loose is what a majority of multi-jugs per year Omega/Encore shooters use. Many MLs dont shoot 777 pellets well.

............."Keep Yer' Powder Dry Fellas".............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom