ONCE-IN-A LIFETIME UTAH ANTELOPE !!

headbones

I drew my once in a lifetime antelope tag for Utah's Snake Valley unit 938 in the west desert!!! It took me nine (9) years to draw the tag, I hope to make the hunt a memorable one. It is about time!! Anybody else have to wait that long?

It has taken me 7 years to draw an antelope tag. Not as long as you though.
I used to apply for the snake vallet unit but they quit giving NR tags there.
----------------------------------------
Measure wealth by the things you have,, for which you would not take money.

It took me nine to draw Bonanza. Bones, good luck out there, a friend of mine had the tag last years, and it was sliiiim pickin's, let me tell ya.

But this year is much better water-wise, good luck to you and congrats on the tag!

I drew a N/R antelope tag for Bonanza. Any info or pointers about the area would be reallappreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-06 AT 06:31PM (MST)[p]Hey Tony, my friends dad drew DL@L also with only two points. Lucky old goat. Have you talked to Rick Danvir yet? He is a really good guy and this hunt almost sounds too good to be true. Good luck up there.

I seen a relative drew out with you also. Thats awesome. Rick said there is usually a buck 80 plus taken every year by a public hunter. Sounds good to me.

Bummer I don't get to go play up there. He will only aloud two with the hunter. Usually it's only one. But the my freind and his brother were going to slap it out and then Rick said they could both go. I tried to get my foot in the door by offering to video and I was told fahgetta bout it!

Bummer, I was the one who pointed all these yahoos to DL@L, one of them draws, and I can't go play with em. Oh well. I really don't want to be on the gut, cut, skin, lift, cape, puke team anyways!LOL HAH

I hunted Deseret last year. Looked over hundreds of bucks. Missed an 80+ goat (my fault, didn't take the time to set up), and passed on dozens that were in mid to high 70s. I ended up shooting a freak (the lesson here is learn to tell your boys no or don't bring them--they really wanted me to shoot him) that had one horn that pointed forward dramatically. I had turned him down 4 times previously. He was 15+ in length with good mass and scored 75. My buddy shot a real pretty 77" goat. Talk to Rick Danvir or Todd Corina and find out when they will let you hunt. I hunted both early and late in the season. I found the goats tend to migrate towards the east come the 3rd week of October. They are in much larger groups. They are also spookier because of the doe hunters. However, I felt like I had a better opportunity to really look them over later in the season. The only real down side IMHO is the knowledge that some of the bigger bucks have already been taken. One of the problems with hunting in September during the rut is they can be way spread out in pockets away from roads and you just don't get the same opportunity to look over large numbers of buck as easy. Also, the heat mirages in September made glassing a challenge after midmorning. Goats are hard enough to judge without throwing in the heat mirage to muddy the water.

My wife wanted to put in several years ago with me. She had zero points and I had 6. I told her we needed to put in seperate as to not ruin my chances. Yep she drew and I did not. We did alot of scouting for a "pretty buck". She shot the buck she picked off the video I had taken while scouting. It scored 76 B&C. I did not draw until two years later on the Parker unit.

Predator,
I did draw the San Rafeal North. It took me 9 years. We had talked in the past. Were you able to find out any info. on this unit? Are you still thinking on helping out on this hunt? I have a friend that may be interesred in going on this hunt. He know antelope as well as anybody. Talk to ya later, Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom