Once There Was A Great Nation!

M

manny15

Once There Was A Great Nation!

It was founded by the pilgrims who decided to leave their own country, which didn't encourage freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom of the individual. So they migrated to an uncivilized land inhabited only by savages. The rock where they landed was to become a national shrine - and one of the most famous monuments in the world.

They drove off the natives, built rude shelters and houses of worship, meanwhile setting aside a special day to give thanks.

These pilgrims - all stern, austere men - believed in their God, but they also believed in work. They established schools under religious leaders that, in a way, became the first public, free education in the world.

Through hard, determined labor they forged a colony while the rest of the world chuckled.

But the pilgrims persevered. Intolerant of wrongdoing, they used gallows to punish criminals. In their day-to-day activities they had no patience for the weak and degenerate, who, if pampered, become the cancer of a nation.

Shortly, these pilgrims engaged in trade and commerce as their community grew. In the process, they became moderately prosperous.

Other colonists came and established other communities. And some of the noblest words ever written began to surface. Facades of our modern government buildings bear some of the legends written back then: "liberty," "justice," "freedom of worship".

Then one of the older nations sent tax agents to exploit the colonists. Alarmed, the colonists sent their greatest men as representatives to a general assembly, choosing a gentleman farmer as their leader. He united them and shook off the shackles of oppression as they won the fight against the "old world" and became a strong nation. That farmer is known as the "father of his country". Today, a famous U.S. city is named after him.

The new nation formed two houses of government. The more powerful was the Senate, whose members could be elected only if they were men of probity [integrity], honor, patriotism, and religion. The nation became a republic, though it is a republic no longer.

Ultimately, a civil war divided the fledgling country. Its leader, who tried to keep the republic united, was assassinated in the shadow of government buildings.
Eventually, many of the nation's senators became ambitious for power. They began to make deals with leaders of important factions.

And the republic now became entangled in alliances with foreign nations. The alliances brought wars; the wars brought taxes. But the citizens didn't seem to mind. War, after all, also increased trade and industry. And, besides, the new taxes affected only the rich.

Farmers rebelled, sending petitions for subsidies, price supports. Government, wanting support for its own schemes, bought up the surplus crops and stored them in warehouses, where they rotted. Not to be outdone, industrialists were next to ask for tax benefits.

Finally, the government became all powerful. It guaranteed to protect the people from all forces of nature. And taxation grew and grew. Bureaucracy thrived as free housing, free food, free entertainment came next. The middle class declined under the added tax burdens. Crime became so commonplace that it was dangerous to walk the streets at night.

A crippled man led the nation into more wars and foreign entanglements. Patriots became known as radicals.
A general, who had been victimized by the government, pleaded with the nation to remember her past, to return to honor, to decent government, to the principles of the founding fathers. The people scoffed, and he died, bitterly thinking his anguished thoughts.

An honest senator dared to speak out for a halt to foreign subversion and to constant foreign aid and draining away from the people's money. The public at large recoiled, branding him a reactionary.

The nation fell deeper into debt. It joined a league of the world with enemies that exploited her. She increased taxes to send her wheat to those enemies. And she devalued her currency, substituting base materials for precious metals in her coins.

She became allied with powerful barbarians in still another stupid war. She sent "experts" to school the barbarians in the latest scientific discoveries.

The nation was now totally corrupt. Its middle class was finally dead. The barbarians moved in... and took over. And they destroyed the civilization.

Sound familiar

That nation's name? Ancient Rome.

Identification notes:
The pilgrim's rock - Foundation of the Temple of Jupiter
The gentleman farmer - Cincinnatus
The assassinated leader - Julius Caesar
The general - Marc Anthony
The honest senator - Cicero

Author unknown

In those first few paragraphs the pilgrims don't sound very Christ-like, they seem like evil people,or was that just Manifest Destiny?

"They drove off the natives" and then " they were intolerant of wrongdoing" now as a halfbreed you just know I have to find that hilarious.

Americans have the greatest sense of selfrightousness in the world. you have to love it, no wonder everyone hates us.

>"They drove off the natives" and
>then " they were intolerant
>of wrongdoing" now
>as a halfbreed you just
>know I have to find
>that hilarious.
>
> Americans have the greatest sense
>of selfrightousness in the world.
>you have to love it,
>no wonder everyone hates us.
>

It wasn't always that way Mr. Lib, back in the 70's I spent some time in Europe and they fell over me just to see some one from the State's.

I don't know how you maintain a life with all your negative opinions, you have no cense of history the world was full of wrongful doings, conquer or be conquered was the theme...

yea, the world was and is full of wrongful doings, but somehow I sense you think everything is going to hell in a handbasket because we are now more tolerant of different behavior, when I listen to self-righteous right wingers it reminds me of this quote by Ghandi " I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians, they are so unlike your Christ"

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-09 AT 12:13PM (MST)[p]Ghandi wow did he rise from the dead for you....LOL

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

Romans 1 ? 25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator,

2Timothy 3:8 3:1 But understand this, that in the last days difficult 1 times will come. 3:2 For people 2 will be lovers of themselves, 3 lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3:3 unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, savage, opposed to what is good, 3:4 treacherous, reckless, conceited, loving pleasure rather than loving God. 3:5 They will maintain the outward appearance 4 of religion but will have repudiated its power. So avoid people like these. 5 3:6 For some of these insinuate themselves 6 into households and captivate weak women 7 who are overwhelmed with sins and led along by various passions. 3:7 Such women are always seeking instruction, 8 yet never able to arrive at a knowledge of the truth. 3:8 And just as Jannes and Jambres 9 opposed Moses, so these people ? who have warped minds and are disqualified in the faith 10 ? also oppose the truth. 3:9 But they will not go much further, 11 for their foolishness will be obvious to everyone, just like it was with Jannes and Jambres.

if you can't see this scripture describe people of today, then there is no hope fore you and others like you....

I don't know if the average human is really any worse than at other times in history, there are more people and we are more crowded now, in some ways we are a much better people collectively than ever. Some of that scripture is describing the human condition as its always been

I wish our govt. had the mind set today they had in the 1870's we'd just shoot our way out of this mess and America would be one big happy place again.

2Pe 3:3 Knowing this first, that there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts,
2Pe 3:4 And saying, Where is the promise of his coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as [they were] from the beginning of the creation.

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Anyone can argue with churchese, since it makes no sense there is nothing to debate. either talk in English or admit you've drawn a blank.

Manny how am I being negative? you post a bunch of nonsense whining then back it up with jibberish, when I call BS on it you snivel. I think we're in a position with some leadership to get us back some respect in the world with a little luck, that's positive thinking.

I'VE POSTED NUMOROUS TIME'S ANCIENT WRITTINGS FROM THE BIBLE THAT PRACTICLY NAMES DATES AND YOU CALL IT JIBRISH, BUD YOU'VE BEEN WARNED, WHAT EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY....

Proverbs 12:15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that listens unto counsel is wise.

Psalms 53:1 The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, and have committed abominable injustice; there is no one who does good."

More jiberish, sounds like Shakespeare to me, not a fan.

I don't think you're a bad guy Manny, but you can't live your life from a book, well at least I couldn't. I'm thinking Ned Flanders here.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-09 AT 09:39AM (MST)[p]I don't watch the Simpson?s much heck I don't watch TV much...

496cc36a70cf6ac2.jpg

bad guy, I know I'm not, and I would assume your not either, just someone groping in the dark, I don't live by a book, that book is his word, that's what I live by.

Now you just can't think I live this for 35 years and no evidence do you, like some kinda blind faith, he knew me to well for that....

If it works for you great, it's your right and you seem happy with it so everyone wins. that said just don't asume anyone who doesn't agree with you has a problem, there are other religions who think you're as dumb as you think they are and then there's those like me who think you're all a little on the goofy side.

That's why we have freedom of religion and freedom from religion, it's part of what made this the great nation it still is.

You have a diddily iddily darn good day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom