Only hunters get it

hossblur

Long Time Member
The controversy with the video of the sportsman's elk video included a voice I hadn't heard in awhile.

Doug Miller.

As a young guy I was obsessed with that show. So much so that every sat night, when I was supposed to be in the middle of teenage passion, we'd have to come up for air for at least snap shot of the week.

That girlfriend, the wife, still doesn't get it, as of last night when I reminded her.

What else do/did you guys do that only us hunters understand

I enjoyed Doug's show and honestly didn't know KSL Outdoors was even still on the air.

Here are a few only hunters might get.

- Kept all my camo in garbage sacks full of sage brush before the archery hunt.
- Waiting to get trail cam pics developed at 1 hour photo in Smiths, (most were blurred garbage pics)
- Camping/standing in line to get a tag
- When somebody was late getting back to camp it usually met they killed one. Pre cell phone days, no texts the anticipation was real! (looking in the back of the truck for a big velvet rack as they pulled into camp)
- Driving through all the small southern Utah towns looking in yards to see who had a buck hanging.

So many others that are nostalgic. Fun thread!

I never knew Doug, but was on the mountain hunting with Adam when he got the word that Doug passed. Adam was close to Doug. Bummer deal.

I too remember storing clothes in plastic bags with pine limbs and sage. I recall scouting trips before others did that sort of thing. I remember a 1983 Honda 3-wheeler that I’d push as dad rode up steep, icy, two track jeep roads. I recall my first spotting scope in 1987, long before anyone we knew had such a thing. I recall binoculars that were almost always fogged up. I remember boots that were uncomfortable and not waterproof at all. I remember when glassing a hillside a mile off was a long way. I remember when a long archery shot was 50 yards, a long muzzy shot was 100 yards and a long rifle shot was 300. I even remember a time when a yearling buck was hard to get.
All these things I recall, were huge advancements in the hunting world compared to what my dad recalled when he was young. He began hunting with a recurve bow and open sight 30-30. I was spoiled!!!!

I Got My First Spotter In 1978!

You Didn't See Many Other Hunters With Them At The Time!

Ya!

It's The Bushnell Everybody Gives Me Shhitt Over!

It's Viewed More Inches Of Antler Than Any Of This Newer Glass I Have Now Ever Will!

It Was A COOL Thing At The Time When I First Got It!

I Finally Retired It Just A Few Years Ago!

My Newer Glass might Be Better!

But It Ain't Seen SQUAT Compared To The Old Bushnell!

Something only a hunter would get?

Packing a heavy animal off the mountain in steep, overgrown deadfall in 35° weather, getting rained and snowed on all night long, and making it back to the truck just after 5am soaked to the bone, cold, and dead tired.

And this is what we do for fun. Only a hunter gets it.

Packing a heavy animal off the mountain in steep, overgrown deadfall in 35° weather, getting rained and snowed on all night long, and making it back to the truck just after 5am soaked to the bone, cold, and dead tired.

??

Hey Niller?

Do You Remember Me Saying This Over The Many Years?

Sometimes It Takes 11-1/2 Months Of Healing To Do The Same Stupid Sshitt Again Next Year!:D

1)Up at 3am to get to your spot by daybreak...
2)The "day hike" that is actually 16 hours on the mountain, hiking 6-10 miles with a few thousand total vertical feet with one canteen of water and two trips to the spring... no shots fired. All for FUN
3)Knowing how good an animal heart is
4)Touching an animals poop ? ?

Only hunters get it……..
Jumping into the car at 9:00pm, driving 5 hours to the trailhead, putting on rain gear and a backpack and hike 5 miles into the mountains in a rain storm, setting up a tent in a downpour and climbing in soaked because it’s too fogged in to even look for deer.

Doug Miller days remind me of Sneaking some of Grandmas Red Man in the Allied parking lot just prior to getting my grubby paws on the new Browning Accelerator 2. Doug was iconic would love to hear his opinion on the current Status of hunting in the Beehave State

IMG_6991.jpeg

Sort of along those same lines… My nephew got married yesterday evening & it was a great day all the way around. As the event was wrapping up, my wife & I walked up to say our goodbyes. He hugged me & with a big smile on his face, he says “3 more weeks” referring to my NV bull elk hunt coming up. I started laughing & both his wife & mine just shook their heads. ? They don’t get it!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom