Ooo ooo! Cheap sheep!

predator

Very Active Member
Just found out I get to mix up my winter with a trip to Texas for poor man's sheep!!! Totally stoked!!

I'd love to see some aoudad pics, hear some stories to keep the fire burning....

Pred

LAST EDITED ON Oct-18-11 AT 09:17AM (MST)[p]I got drawn for the Devil's river State Natural Area exotic hunt in 2006. Its about 31,000 free ranging acres and had had Auodad in it and some axis also. I stayed in Del Rio and commuted daily to my assigned compartment. The terrain was rough, all rocks and cactus.

I hunted hard but only saw one deer in this moonscape until the afternoon of the second day, I spied some aoudad across a canyon. I moved along the ridge around to the top of the finger they were on and started coming straight down at them. The cactus was about waist high, so by crabwalking down the mountain I was hidden from view. I never got a great look at them, but I got about 200 yards away from the group of 3, picked out the biggest one and anchored it with one shot from my 270.

Upon recovery I discovered I had killed an old pregnant ewe. She had a broken foot and the hoof on the foot almost curved completely around.

I made one pack load and started hacking my way through cactus, it being January in Texas i think it was in the mid 80s and I got a good lather worked up on the way out.

Some great desert solitude. Fun hunt and while I never saw a ram in my assigned compartment, I'm happy with getting to tag something. Saw a toad on private when driving out.

8093dr12cactusflat.jpg

9217dr16day2.jpg

9222dr20firstlook.jpg

727dr24roadguard.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom