Opinion

otcbowhunter

Hi
Please give me your opinion on what OTC elk area / unit offers the most remote, hard to access, least amount of foot traffic in the state of Colorado that has a reasonable chance at a good bull? I am not looking for monster bulls. I am looking to go in deeper than anyone else is to get a real back country hunt and not see a single person or boot track while I am there.
Thanks for your opinion

You are asking for someone's honey hole that they have found where no one else goes???
I doubt you will get any responses with areas to this one...
If you do, I gurantee it will forever have people in it once it is posted because there are only 10's of thousands of hunters that will read the same post as you...

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Dude! Get a map, pick an area with 10k+ elevation. Find a drainage with no trails (important), 5+ miles walk with 2K elevation gain (or loss better) and you will have the place to yourself... Add a limited quota area and you won't see a person... Ever packed a quartered elk on your back out of the kind of country you're looking to hunt? You better schedule some extra time on the end of your hunt?

I am not asking for a honey hole! The answer could be as simple as "I think the South San Jaun Wilderness is what you are looking for (all 158,790 acres)"!

Dude! I have been 6.5 miles away from any trail in the Weminuche Wilderness Area at 11,900 ft. and saw a guy and a mule! Yes, I am in good enough shape to pack out what ever I kill! Just looking for an opinion of what is the most remote areas in Co for an OTC.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Mules are great for packing but it's the rare mule that doesn't need a trail, or at least easy going ground... Bad luck running into supermule and his owner...

Lots of elk in SW Colorado and it's as far removed from Denver and the front range (major population center) as you can get and still be in the state... Can't imagine you will find a more isolated area in Colorado (generally speaking). There are people everywhere. They key is to find that drainage that's hard to get to within the area you like to hunt. No easy answer to your original question... Keep at it... Good luck.

Thanks Burgerman. I was very surprised myself when I ran into some more mule tracks in an area that I almost couldn't get through. Anyone rent out a "supermule" for later this week?

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom