Opinions needed on a factory Rifle in 25-06?

excaliber

I'm looking for a factory rifle in 25-06. I've been looking at the X-Bolts and Vanguards with 24" barrels. I'm looking for 24" barrels so that leaves out the Savage rifles with their 22" barrels. Tikka has the same issue with short barrels.
Remington is also an option but I'd rather buy a rifle that has a better chance at accuracy over the Remington.

Does anyone here have an X-Bolt or Weatherby Vanguard 25-06 and if so how do they shoot?

I'm open to other options in the under 1K price range.

The Vanguards have a very good record for accuracy in many calibers. The 25-06 caliber also has a good rep for accuracy since the day it was first brought out. I would grab the Vanguard for best chances of over the counter accuracy in a factory rifle.

RELH

I’ve got an stainless synthetic Xbolt in 25-06 that’s a great shooting gun. Haven’t shot it in a few years(too many guns, too little time) and would be interested in selling if you have interest.

I'll be hunting Pronghorn and deer with it. I really like Remingtons. I turned my last Rem 700 300 Win Mag into a semi custom and it shoots lights out.
I was looking at the SPS stainless model and it's still a consideration but I think there may be better options with a better chance of keeping it as a factory gun.

What are you going to hunt with the rifle? AND, don't be scared of a Remington. mtmuley

Winchester model 70 is another option. I was a little worried when they changed plants but I finally gave in and tried a current production model ...... it shoots ! And that’s an understatement.

I’ve got an older Remington 700 mountain rifle in 25/06 it drives tacks the barrel is 22 in though. Overall I’d buy it again

Take a look at Tikka’s, they flat out shoot and have a butter smooth action...
""I'm looking for a factory rifle in 25-06. I've been looking at the X-Bolts and Vanguards with 24" barrels. I'm looking for 24" barrels so that leaves out the Savage rifles with their 22" barrels. Tikka has the same issue with short barrels. ""

I’m open minded about guns, generally, so when I decided to build up a couple little coyote killers, I bought Howa Mini’s.
Basically a mini Weatherby Vanguard action.
Pretty damn cool really.
1 shoots extremely well and the other one was the worst shooting rifle I’ve ever had....so it’s getting a new barrel as we speak. All brands have awesome guns....or not.

"I'm looking for 24" barrels so that leaves out the Savage rifles with their 22" barrels. Tikka has the same issue with short barrels."

Reading entire posts apparently is not my strong point...

Thanks Homer! :LOL:

Id probably just buy this and call it a day.

I'd agree with WTS Remington 700 CDL .25/06 & go with it ! Not to stir the mix very much, also consider the 7 MM Rem Mag with a great variable power scope like 6X18 & add a good muzzle break . Use ear plugs. With this combination it gives you a super flexible bolt of lightning that takes any game at any reasonable long range with the right bullet plus you can see the bullet hit your target & no muzzle jump & no recoil either. I have such a rifle & it's pure death & very accurate too. Add a Harris Bipod too. ? Jerry Gold , Ft Collins, Colorado?

With the 6.5 hype of our era, we rarely hear of someone wanting a .25 caliber rig, but I like your thinking. A decade or two ago the 25-06 was the "talk of the town" for deer and antelope. It's effectiveness on those animals is well documented and has not changed.
As Zeke said, an out of the box rifle from any manufacturer may or may not be a great shooter, but over the years, I've had great success with most.
I own one x-bolt, and that I got for free and an A-bolt from Browning. Both are good shooters, especially for hunting, but that's just my experience. I like them both for packability because I hike a lot to get into hunting country. That's a huge factor for me as a hunter.
If it were my choice, I'd look at them both and go with what feels right. Good luck, and share what you decide!

I have two 25-06's, a ruger and - I'm going to regret this - a charles daly yugo mauser. Not counting varmit rifles, they are the #3 and #1 most accurate out of the box rifles I have ever bought.

25-06 is like hitting a deer or sheep with a bolt of lightning. Someday ima get me an ai so I can argue with the roy guys.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom