Opinions on a guided 61 elk hunt

WesternSky

I am a colorado resident looking for a little advise on hunting in WY. I have never been on a guided hunt. I have always done everything myself here in CO. I am a serious hunter and have taken a few good animals here in Co.
With that said the only way I would use a guide is on a horseback style pack in, outfitter tent, type hunt. That seems like an easy thing to find in WY but I also want a chance of a quality bull. I would like to think that I would have an average chance at a 330 bull with the possiblity of a 350+. I know the difference between those sizes and I would not be tempted by a 300".
I have 2 points going into 2009(one below max). I have been thinking that a license in 61 hunt might be a possiblity. I dont want to wait 5 years to draw a migration hunt unless this unit dosnt have the quality of resident bulls Im after.
So now that you guys know what type of hunter I am and what Im looking for can you guys recommend a guide and let me know if I am barking up the wrong tree in unit 61. Are there other units that I should be looking at?

Thanks
Justin

If yer gonna spend full price on a guided hunt, I'd be more flexible on what type of hunt I was after if size is the main criteria. Area 7 would be my first choice if yer gonna drop the coin. Elk Mountain Outfitters seems to bag some big bulls every year. I know there's some other outfitters in that area. The G & F and the WY Outfitters Assoc can provide a list of names.

Here we are a year later and I am looking again for help with 61 outfitters. Any new thoughts??
I understand what triple is saying but I dont think that it fits my bill. Too long of wait, not wilderness, hunting out of cabins, seems like it is a rich mans area( or at least the outfitters think so)
any thought on good 61 outfitters?

I haven't hunted 61 but I wouldn't think it's a premium unit, there aren't a lot of tags but there isn't a lot of demand for those tags either. I haven't hunted with Boulder Basin Outfitters but I have talked to them a couple of times and I think they hunt 59 which is adjacent to 61 and just depends on which side of the mountain you are on as to which unit you are in. They seemed like a good outfit with good success but their average bull wouldn't be 330-350.

I did hunt 60 once which is on the southeast corner of Yellowstone (Thorofare). This is on the opposite side of South fork from 59 and 61. There are several outfitters that hunt this area and they all kill an occasional 350 bull but they are the exception not the rule. I would think this area would be a lot more remote with more limited access than 61. These camps are 20 to 35 miles in and there were very few DIY guys.

You are asking for a public land horse back hunt with a reasonable chance of drawing a tag that has a lot of 330-350 bulls. I don't know where that is. I'm saving my points for Unit 7.

I know that Bob Sundeen has a camp in Area 61, about 12 miles or so up the Greybull. I believe his outfit is called Trails West or something close to that. I know one of his guides & they generally shoot a 350 class bull (or close to it) out of their camp each year. I would never go into a wilderness hunt expecting that class of bull, but they do exist there. I haven't hunted the Greybull for a few years & did pull a 335 out of there myself on a DIY hunt not all that far from his camp. He's got a pretty good reputation from what I've heard locally. Beautiful country & take your fly rod along.

Tell me I'm wrong but what I'm hearin is that the guides set up a charged fence around their camp and one is on duty all night due to bears????

I've applied for 62 several times since I've got my own stock and 90%+ of 62 is NOT in the wilderness although roadless. Got off of 62 cause of the bear scare. Someone tell me I've been misinformed.

I hate to say this but you have heard correctly. Any area around Cody,Meeteetse, Dubois, and Jackson will have bear problems. Near cody and yellowstone ther is more trouble I think than other areas.

Most any wilderness surrounding yellowstone will have grizz. Its a damn shame we cannot hunt them, but thats a whole nother topic

I've packed up the Greybull 5 times on elk hunts & summer trips & the South Fork of the Shoshone several more on elk & sheep hunts. We kept a clean camp, food in aluminum, bear proof panniers, & never had a problem with bears. Maybe we were just lucky. Had them wander through camp (saw tracks), but never tore anything up.

You're bigger problem is likely with game retrieval. I'd take a long a pack animal (or two) each day on your hunt & try to avoid having to come back for your downed animal. There are a lot (too many) grizzlies in these areas & won't take long to find a carcass. Take plenty of rope along to hang the meat away from your camp. Common sense goes a long ways.

Teepee, great advice!! My concern is the stock. A griz wanders through camp and they are gone or injuried due to panic. Tied off while I'm huntin and griz wanders by, same scenario. I'm not a paranoid guy but it does concern me. You experiences actually relieves some of the concern.

As far as game retrieval. I have meat panniers tied behind my saddle and on more than one occasion I've packed the entire elk, quarters, straps and cape out leading the horse. Pretty heavy load but depends on the circumstances. Bear country being one of em.

Sorry to highjack this post.

Just got back from a DIY hunt in Unit 60. None of my hunting partners had ever been there before. We saw bears everywhere Grizz and black, but we had no bear problems. I had never had a bull elk tag before so I shot the first bull I saw wich was a nice 5 point. We saw more elk later and my freind missed a nice 320ish 6 point. I think this area and hunt would be right up your alley, and if weather cooperates, you should have a reasonable chance at a 330 bull, and an outside chance at a 350. I will be back next year and will be a bit more picky myself. Hope this helps and good luck.

I think you really need to decide what's more important. The wilderness, wall tent experience or a 330-350 bull. Yes they can both happen but chances aren't that good. I guide for two outfits one in the thorofare and one a private ranch. The ranch hunt is a lodge hunt from horseback and walking in some pretty wild country, it borders the wilderness. Bull quality is MUCH better than the thorofare, but it's tougher to draw a little more expensive and you don't get the pack in wall tent scenario.

The bear deal is a little overstated. Yes there are lots of them, yes we absolutely need to hunt them and you should be careful. I've never heard of a guide being posted all night. Most of us are very used to dealing with the bears and being careful with food. Getting your game out is the biggie. Get it out the day you kill it. Most outfitter stock in this country are used to bears and don't run in terror just because one comes by. If your stock aren't used to them then maybe. We have a mule that has chased bears out of the meadow in front of camp.

I would say 61 is a good choice, and there are several outfitters in the cody area that are good. Personally I would try to get a 62 or 63 tag as they are better areas. Those areas you could get a wilderness type hunt, and I know personally I would not shoot anything less than a 330 bull in 62 or 63. Do a little research on some of the outfitters in the cody area, that would be my first step.

I'd say Wyo gave you some pretty good advice. I'm not sure but 63 could be a little tougher to draw. We hunt 64 which for the october hunt is the same draw as 63.

JakeS, did you just see one black bear or a number of them. I've seen a lot of griz in that country, but never a black. I'm headed up on the 6th and think I'll throw a bear tag in my pocket just in case. Any snow up there yet?

Have fun LP!

We hope the new scope is dialed in for ya on such short notice/replacement.

We will be in Jackson Hole 8th-----???

Give us a call if you are traveling home.

R&PL

Robb- I may just do that! I have to be home the 8th, but that doesn't mean we can't meet for a cup enroute!

Pred

Hey guys- I just returned from my hunt, and all I can say is that I have NEVER IN MY LIFE had such a fantastic experience!! Sundeen ran two camps with 8 hunters total, and went 100 percent. Great people, good mountain horses/mules and hardworking guides. 61 is freakin' HUGE country.

Did I mention I shot a bruiser? Got my money's worth and more!!

I'll post a pic when I actually get to a computer.

Pred

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom