Opinions on the outfitter West Tex-New Mex Hunting services

sigboy66

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-15 AT 10:25AM (MST)[p]I attended a hunting expo yesterday and got talking about Oryx hunts in New Mexico which I pretty much given up on being a non-resident. He said if I go under contract with an outfitter my chances of drawing on range hunt increase to around 20%. Looking at the odds at hunters trail head does not seem to agree with those odds unless I am disabled, or go for a broken horn Oryx. What are your guys opinions of an outfitter named West Tex-New Mex Hunting.

Don't know about the outfitter, but finding good data on odds for NM can be tough. HT will typically underestimate your chances for elk, not sure about oryx, but I would expect the same trend. Last year there were about 400 people in the outfitter pool going after 30 tags for the 6 regular on-range hunts; so your "average" odds were about 7-8%. No doubt this is better than the non-resident pool. If I look at particular hunts I do see one that might have been >20%, but most were in 3-9% range. This year there are fewer tags, one less hunt, so %odds will be less.

NR odds for drawing Oryx are really bad now. Wont draw unless you apply.
I have found Hunterstrailhead, to be a good resource.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-14-15 AT 09:11AM (MST)[p]Ditto what Paul said.
HT is Good source of info. Turns out I know the owners bro....

Odds are never a sure thing seeing as no-one knows how many will put in THIS year. Change in tags,odds change.

I never tell anyone what I've put in for till after the draw deadline...then tell em a different unit.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-16-15 AT 05:48AM (MST)[p]On range hunts DIY go from 0.4% to 2.5%
On range hunts Outfitted from 1.5% to 14.3%

The outfitter you mentioned IS NOT the one I would ever recommend.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom