Opinions?

legacy

Very Active Member
As non-residents, my father and I both have 7 points for deer going into 2013. MY plan is to hold out applying for a couple of years. My father on the other hand is interested in hunting asap. He's 70 years old, has had both knees replaced and has had major back surgery (twice). He actually gets around really well and I don't think I'm too worried about him hiking and getting around. I took him into some pretty gnarly places last year on an elk hunt and he kept up pretty good. I was just curious if anyone had any opinions on what areas might be best as far as access, easier hiking, etc.. where he could still stand a chance of finding some decent Mule Deer? We've never hunted Wyoming, so any input would be appreciated. We will be going unguided. Thanks!

Do what you want, but I would not be waiting to apply if I had the max of 7PPs like you guys do, especially with the license fee for NRs possibly going up from $312 to $520 in 2014! The reason I say this is because IMHO most deer LE units in Wyoming aren't worth spending that kind of time and money on the way the herds are going downhill due to weather, loss of habitat, and being overhunted in many areas. What is your reasoning for not wanting to apply when you have max PPs?

Go huntin' ! from what you've said unit 90 would be a good bet if you are looking for a tag you should be able to draw. not really high deer numbers but great access and some pretty good deer if you work at it. you also might look at 89,87, or 125.

>Do what you want, but I
>would not be waiting to
>apply if I had the
>max of 7PPs like you
>guys do, especially with the
>license fee for NRs possibly
>going up from $312 to
>$520 in 2014! The
>reason I say this is
>because IMHO most deer LE
>units in Wyoming aren't worth
>spending that kind of time
>and money on the way
>the herds are going downhill
>due to weather, loss of
>habitat, and being overhunted in
>many areas. What is
>your reasoning for not wanting
>to apply when you have
>max PPs?

One of my reasons for not wanting to apply is the fact that I am still trying to decide which unit would be best to hunt. Like I've said, I haven't hunted Wyoming and am not sure of what unit to apply for yet. The other reason goes along with what you said about the current state of the deer herds. I am HOPING things improve in the future and am holding out. I'm not super concerned about prices going up. As far as my dad is concerned, I don't think he has too many good years of hunting left, so I really want to figure something out for him.

From talking with a gamewarden in the area I like to hunt,It will take at least 5 years to have a noticable improvment in the deer herd and that is considering everything goes in the deer herds favor.
Knowing this I would not wait any longer .Pick a unit that interests you and go for it.There are still some pockets of good deer hunting in the state.
Do your research,make phone calls to the gamewardens and biologists ,they are your best place to get good info.

I'd do exactly what Whiterock stated and go for it. I don't think waiting any length of time will get you any better results than going for it next season the way things are looking. One more bad winter in a lot of areas with the drought and poor habitat problems they face could really finish off some units for many years, if not forever.

I am in the same point pool as you are.

Being both non-ressy's and I certainly spend allot of time in Wyo---

What ya think about maybe appling together?

I am leaving this morning for a week to Jackson Hole area on my last elk tag of the year to fill, so If I do not get back with ya right away, please understand that I am not being rude---just gone.

Robb

Yes, unit 90 would be a good hunt for your old man especially with his knees...it's nicer desert county, but you should still see lots of bucks, you'd have to try the special tag route though...I expect lots of people putting in for deer this year...before the tag increases start next year...good luck.

You could also apply just your dad for a tag while you still build your points and wait it out. Choose a unit and go hunt with him. Apply for an antelope tag and help him on his deer hunt.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom