Optics Brand Loyalty ... Interesting

Founder

Founder Since 1999
Good response to the "Your Optics? What are they????" thread. I noticed though, brand loyalty doesn't seem to exist much. That's interesting. So many have one brand of bino's, another brand riflescope, etc.
There were a few who owned all one brand, but most didn't. Why is that I wonder?

Are most happy with every brand they own? Or, did they buy one brand and maybe not happy so went a different way on the next purchase? Or, do you guys believe that one brand offers a better riflescope than bino, or better spotter than rangefinder? ETC.

Or, does your budget at the time of purchase seem to dictate what you buy more than all else?

It doesn't appear that any one brand dominates any optic category either.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-14 AT 05:05PM (MST)[p]I have Leica rangefinding binos, but considering the new Zeiss Victory rangefinding models. You can most always find an excuse to upgrade optics. In the case of the rangefinder binos, one reason for upgrading is that Zeiss has the ranging button on the correct (right) side, unlike my older Leicas which have it mis-placed on the left. That's significant for a right-handed archery hunter. It also helps that the Zeiss binos display edge-to-edge sharpness like I've never seen with any Swaros or Leicas. Binoculars over time tend to get a field-worn look, so you can also use that as your excuse to upgrade. No brand loyalty at all, I mainly just consider actual performance and the warranty.

For spotters I previously owned Leupold and later upgraded to a Swarovski 80 HD. I'll probably never need to replace the Swaro. Although the new 95 mm models are to drool over, they're almost too heavy and bulky for backpacking. Again I'm not particular about the specific brand, other than I tend to stay with the "big 3" European brands of Zeiss, Leica, and Swarovski.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-14 AT 05:09PM (MST)[p]The only two optics I care much about are scopes and binocs.

I have never bought anything but Leupold rifle scopes. They have never failed me, have a great lifetime warranty, and are moderately priced. Would never go anywhere else.

Binocs are a different matter. I have owned Leitz (now leica), Nikon, Pentax, and cabelas Alaskan guide. I like them all and they are all in different powers, bought them through the years after trying them out at the store and when they were on sale. I do own one pair of Leupold: switch binocs in the 7/12 power. They have their use, but don't use them often. The ones I use 95% of the time are my Nikon 8x42 ATBs.

Spotters I don't use so much and have a cheap Cabelas one that does OK but is not a very good pair, bu don't use them enough to invest more.

I would never ever buy a pair of bushnell binocs or a bushnell scope. I wouldn't trust them on my gun or around my neck. However, I use the bushnell rangfinder and it has served me well for bowhunting, muzzleloading and rifle hunting. Longest shot I take with a rifle is 400 yards and for that the bushnell works great. Can't see spending more.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-14 AT 06:29PM (MST)[p]>I won't buy Vortex....they are Packer
>fans
>
Dam, they are forever now on my $**T list and I won't be allowed to purchase any... SKOL Vikings :)

Simply what I can find for the best bang of my Dollar at the time. Even if I was a multimillionaire wouldn't be spending my money on a 3, 4 or $5k spotting scope!
That is absurd to me, even $600 for a rifle scope... My $220 scope excels for what I need it to do out to 500 yards.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

for me, leupold is the best scope for the money, swaro binos best for the money. And leica rangefinder is hands down the best RF. Swaro spotter is because I do all my business expense on cabelas card so got it for free.

I buy nothing but Leupold scopes, and have over 30. Great performance, unbeatable warranty, and a great value. I don't believe there is anything to gain from spending several times as much money.
While I have some Leupold binos, they are my loaners, and I use nothing but Swarovski for binos and spotting scope. When I started using them, there really was very little competition in regards to qualtiy (Leica only) and I see no reason to change. I believe they have more competition today, but still consider them top quality, and can't see any reason to upgrade yearly. Mu spotter will last a ilfetime.

So yes, I am loyal to brands, but change when the technology leaps forward and provides a break through to the next level.
Bill

Like all shoppers, I think hunters buy the best we can afford. But we are influenced by fads and advertising and talk amongst ourselves and that drives our purchases.
I have always thought Swaro was the best spotting scope around, and I was about to buy one when my son convinced me to check out Kowa. His research indicated Kowa actually had clearer glass. I was skeptical, but after a side by side comparison in different lighting, he was right. We went with Kowa and we haven't regretted it at all. But no one talks about Kowa, so few people own that brand.
It's funny now, watching our Swaro friends drool when we can see things they can't.
That being said Swaro makes great products and I have a pair of 15X56 Binos that follow me everywhere.
A rifle scope doesn't have to have great glass, it just needs to be reliable. Most of the high end ones are like buying a Mercedes for a mile trip to the store and back.

Never thought about it, but I have a vortex rangefinder, swarovski spotting scope, zeiss rifle scope, and euro binoculars. Got good deals on all of them when they were purchased. I like all of them.

Im for the most part all out Leica excluding my rifle scopes. Where as my father is a loyal swarovski costumer. When it comes to top end glass its personal preference; Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss etc etc...

Colordoboy

Seems like a consensus is beginning to rear its head.......It appears like we all buy the best we can afford. Some are more into research than others but for most there are budgetary considerations.

For me it's all about the sales that these company's have. I look for a good bargain and then go from there. Would really like to go swarovski all around but they are way to much money for a guys with a son going to college and one in the mission field.

>I won't buy Vortex....they are Packer
>fans
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

Zeiss binos and scopes,range finder leica. Don't use my binos at the Packer games as my season tickets are on the 40, row 15!

GO PACK!

Budget at the time of purchase is the main contributor for me. I strive to get the best bang for my buck when the time comes to make an optics purchase.

I saved for years to be able to buy my Swarovision Binos, worth every penny! I can't imagine needing to replace them soon, if ever. I own several different brands of rifle scopes, some just came with the gun. Optically the best one I own is the Burris Black Diamond, much better glass than any of my Leupolds.

2a0fcsk.gif

Leica binos and rangefinder, zeiss spotter, leupold and swaro scopes so I guess I fit right in.

I think I kind of follow the sale and pick up stuff here and there when there's a good deal. I'd like to try Nightforce and Vortex sometime but haven't yet.

Overall I like the premium brands for the quality but I'll hold out for a sale or slightly used to save a buck.

I like Leupold durability and customer service plus they're American and support our causes.

I just put down $1,541.00 on a Sportsmans warehouse counter, for a Vortex Razor HD 20-60x85mm spotter. I also own the ViperHD 10x42 Binos. I love vortex.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom