Optics for Bighorn / Elk

m_freeman

I'll be spending some time in a part of Arizona that has produced record trophy Bighorn Sheep as well as an area that has produced monster bull elk. I am wanting to spend some time doing prehunt private mapping and photography for the lucky hunters that drawed for these hunts. I have about $1700 to spend on binos, scope and tripod.I have Zen ED 10x43 now, I like them but my style is much more handholding than tripod for binos I am thinking of new Zen Ray ED2 7x36 then for a scope it must be digital SLR capable. I am thinking a Nikon, Minox or Pentax 65 mm objective (80mm?) ED glass and a 15x45 range zoom eyepiece. Any experienced suggestions would be appreciated.

I would consider some 15x binos on a tripod before the 7x EDs. The Vortex Kaibab 15s won't break your budget and would be more useful for sheep than the 7x would be for elk. The 15s can also be used for elk from atop a hill to glass openings in the cedars below. Even your 10s on a tripod would do better than handholding.

Might also consider the Vortex Razor for the spotter option.

You are welcome to visit my Photo Gallery here http://dougkoepsel.smugmug.com/
The-Wave-9-15-10edited_210.jpg

yeah I hear you about the tripod and the 10x I am using that setup now. For me personally the 10x is just too short as I am always wanting to see just past the 10x effective range. Handholding the 10x is poor. Makes sense to go with 15x for the sheep, surely be more comfortable over long hours.I have decided to go with a 80mm scope so the photography will be much better. When I think about it the Zen ED2 are so cheap for the value and utility should pick those up as well much better for the timber and handholding / hiking etc.

Get the Vortex 20x60 80mm razor spotting scope use it with a eye patch. and keep your current binos.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-24-11 AT 06:49PM (MST)[p]yeah if I did that I could more money into other gear and still be as efficient. Want to go 80mm on scope for sure so I can use my digital slr. the 10x Zens are very good binos just always wanting to get further out, a 80mm scope would certianly take care of that. More I think about it, I'll start off with the 80mm scope and my current binos and see how it all goes.

I have the 15-56 Kaibabs and the 20-60-85 razor spotting scope, this setup is the best for the money I also own a pair of swaroskis and there really isn't much difference, at least not $1200 worth

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom