Optics Questions

upmuley

I am thinking about selling my Zeiss Diascope spotting scope and possibly going with Swarovski Binos with a doubler. I do not do any sheep hunting only deer, elk etc. Because of the weight and size of the spotter it is not always practical to pack. Is this a good idea? What should I go with? I already have a good pair of 10x42 binos so I was thinking of the 15x56 Swaros with a doubler.

Good question muley. If I may, not to hijack your thread, ask if Swarovski doublers are any good and work with the 10X42 SLC's?

Muley ,I have both 10x42ELs and 15x56 ,We guide for coues and desert sheep. The 15x56 with the doubler I feel is useless. I know some guys that say the 10x42 work better with the doubler. I am already packing a 20x60 swaro spotting scope,So my doubler just sits in my safe. If you want to buy a doubler I'll sell you mine. Has only been used a couple times.

the doubler is worthless on anything. DO NOT waste your money.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

Wow, glad I inquired about the doubler. What is the consensus on just using 15x56 binos for deer and elk. I would assume the only weakness would be when judging trophy quality at long distances. Keep the info coming it is greatly appreciated.

15x56 would be tough to pack as well, very heavy. Stick with 10x42's and you can't go wrong. Anything more powerful than 10x is tough to hold steady. Spend the money on the good stuff; Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica.

What about the 15x56 used with a tripod? I suppose then if you pack the tripod there is not much advantage weight and size wise over the spotter. Thoughts?

I use the 15's and love them! They work great for scanning areas, but if you need to zero in on something you will either need a tripod or I just sit down and steady my elbows on my knees and that works extremly well without having to pack any additional equipment.

Could someone please explain what a 'doubler' is? Is it as simple as it sounds? Just an accessory that doubles the power of your binicular or spotting scope?

Sorry for the ignorance, I'm more of a whitetail hunter who will be hunting muley's for the first time this fall so the whole optics topic is a little foreign to me.

Thanks.

You got it. A doubler does just what it says. My two cents. Anyone trophy hunting without good 15x binocs and a good 20-60x spotting scope and a tripod is crazy. Get in shape and carry and use what is necessary for success.

Ditto. I just use a pair of 8x20 bino's and a 15-45x spotter. Couldnt imagine not using a spotting scope to hunt with.

-DallanC

Get any spotting scope over $400 and you'll be very happy, stay away from the high power binos, too heavy and never get you close enought

T

Excellent information! Exactly what I was looking for. I need to drop some other non-essentials from my pack and keep the spotter!

I purchased the Swarovski doubler also and I agree that it's not very good. Image seems to be out of focus. I thought maybe there was something wrong with it until I saw several posts on MM by people who didn't like their's either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom