Oquirrh Stansbury, late muzzleloader deer

257weatherby

Question on rut and migration patterns. I drew this tag and have scouted alot this summer and fall and have found one canyon that has been holding a large number of quality bucks and very few does. Right after the start of the late season muzzy the bigger bucks have disappeared and a whole lot of does have moved in and brought some smaller bucks with them. Should I just stick with the area I know and hope that the bigger bucks come back or move to another area? Unfortunately I have put all my time and effort into this one canyon and do not where to go look instead, anyone willing to share any good ideas? Thanks

Have you seen the big bucks since the rifle deer hunt ended? If not I would say they are dead or holed up and it will take a few does to smell right before they come out of their holes. That unit has had way more pressure this year then it has in the past with all the general elk hunters. The late muzzleloader hunt is a week to early to be a really good tag in my opinion. Just my thoughts?

I had the late muzzy deer tag last year (different unit) and was pretty surprised by the absolute lack of rut activity for nearly the entire hunt. At least until the second to last day, when it snowed all day. Then magically, every buck I saw was trailing a Doe, and the more mature bucks showed up out of nowhere.

When you're hoping for a rutting buck, gotta hunt the Does.

Here is an update. I stuck it out with an area that I knew and found this big three point. Pictures are rough, I was alone and could not get him propped up at all. first picture is my buck taken on 11-9-23 the second picture is the buck my Daughter took last Wednesday 11-1-23

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2763.JPG

Nice bucks!!!! How wide was yours? I saw a pic of a good 3x4 with a cheater come off the unit last week that looked like it was 30”

Looks like the 3x4 gene is still doing great on the mountain lol

Nice bucks!!!! How wide was yours? I saw a pic of a good 3x4 with a cheater come off the unit last week that looked like it was 30”

Looks like the 3x4 gene is still doing great on the mountain lol
Both bucks are around 26" wide. last year we saw a buck that I was guessing was around 34" wide but it was only a two point, and I would have loved to shoot that buck instead, but I could never turn him up this year at all. That area has a wide selection of big two points and three points.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom