Oquirrh-Stansbury unit

FullGrown

Oquirrh-Stansbury unit

I have enough non-resident points to draw a general tag in 2016 in Utah. Is anyone willing to share their thoughts on the Oquirrh-Stansbury Unit? Are there any better General Units that I should be looking at? Also, has anyone been hunting with Double C Guides in Utah? I think the Oquirrh-Stansbury unit is the area that they hunt for General Deer. Thanks in Advance!

RE: Oquirrh-Stansbury unit

I have hunted this area. I started hunting in Faust canyon in about 1980. We (family) took a few nice Bucks back in the day. 1987 the Wife and I scouted 3 days and saw 1 buck, didnt hunt the area for about 5 years. In 92 both myself and wife harvested Bucks hers was 4X4 22" mine 26" heavy 4X2 (older buck). Scouting the next year we saw few Deer again. I still visit the area Trap Coyote and Bobcat there, but Deer are still scarce, Last year i did find 2 nice sheds while cattin, both were a year old. while there is water in Faust canyon, I believe the "range"has been boom or bust over the years and the Deer move to the Sheep Rocks (Limited Entry) on dry years, and most years are dry...

It's as good as any other if you do your homework or get some help.It has some pretty steep terrain and quite a bit of private land on the Oquirrhs.

I grew up hunting the Oquirrh's and have hunted unit 18 for several years.
I've moved onto greener pastures but can answer most of your question, if you want to PM me.

The Oquirrh's have a lot of big 20-24" 2 points. As with any unit in Utah, big bucks do turn up at times. I have hunted the Stansburies on 4 day trips. Two for me and two for my wife, generally see about 20-30 deer each time and everyone of them has been a doe. Have hiked deep and glassed extensively. Know that the bucks are there because I know people who have shot some toads there. I am probably just looking in the wrong areas.

I like it because I live in SLC and it is close. That being said, hunter densities are high throughout the week as it's boundaries include portions of Salt Lake City and surrounding metropolitan areas.

Hunt it. It works for a good gen season hunt!

>The Oquirrh's have a lot of
>big 20-24" 2 points. As
>with any unit in Utah,
>big bucks do turn up
>at times. I have hunted
>the Stansburies on 4 day
>trips. Two for me and
>two for my wife, generally
>see about 20-30 deer each
>time and everyone of them
>has been a doe. Have
>hiked deep and glassed extensively.
>Know that the bucks are
>there because I know people
>who have shot some toads
>there. I am probably just
>looking in the wrong areas.
>
>
>I like it because I live
>in SLC and it is
>close. That being said, hunter
>densities are high throughout the
>week as it's boundaries include
>portions of Salt Lake City
>and surrounding metropolitan areas.
>
>Hunt it. It works for a
>good gen season hunt!
Bedawg is right, the main reason it is a harder to draw unit is because it's close to the Wasatch Front and not because it holds a lot of record class bucks.

There's always next year

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom