Oquirrh/Stansbury Unit

dropper10

6 days into the hunt and I am curious to people's reaction/input in regards to the status of the deer herd?? Spend a fair amount of time in the hills and I have never seen the overall deer #'s and especially buck #'s this low!!

The last 2 years have been pretty dismal.I know we had a family of lions where we hunt, lots of coyote,and this drought. I Did see a good number of does this year but bucks are sparse.Talked to a friend who hunted the opener and didn't see a deer in the high country.

I have some buddies that have done well, but my cousin has hunted his ass off throughout the archery, muzzleloader, and thus far into the rifle and has been struggling to find much. He passed 2 150-160 bucks during archery, and hasn’t seen much since.

The last 2 years have been pretty dismal.I know we had a family of lions where we hunt, lots of coyote,and this drought. I Did see a good number of does this year but bucks are sparse.Talked to a friend who hunted the opener and didn't see a deer in the hi

It has been a tough year. However, sounds like a great time killing some coyotes and a few lions for your party. Helping the deer out and having a good time. Spot and stalk lion tag over the counter!!!! Hope there are a few less lions after this years hunts.

One of the worst units in the state in my opinion, especially compared to how it used to be. Unless you want to shoot a dink buck.

depends on who you ask. Stansburry range has better genetics. Oquirrh range has a lot of unenforceable private land which is confusing. Lots of deer on private in some of those canyons. I’ve hunted that unit for the last 12 years or so. I think I am confident that I could pull out a 160-170” buck consistently , but that doesn’t mean much. If you want to really talk about it you should send me a message. I really like that unit.

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom