O'Reily Interview was disappointing...

CraigS

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-07 AT 12:17PM (MST)[p]I was able to catch most of the interview done by Rob Sexton of the U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance on the O'Reily Factor show and I thought that it was a little disappointing. What did you guys think?

To me it just seemed like Mr. Sexton did not give detailed enough answers to Mr. O'Reily. It seemed as if he was hung up on the heritage issue, which to me is a great point but the general public (non-hunters) can't relate to this point. O'Reily wanted him to justify how dog fighting is anymore cruel to animals than hunting. I felt he should have concentrated on the meat on the table issue, along with the biological reasons for hunting game animals and predators. To me this is what will click with the general public, as they need to understand that something must die for them to survive. It seemed as if he was a little unprepared for this interview.

This is just my opinion and I don't want to go any further but if you guys have some ideas, jump in and give another perspective.

I agree, I was yelling at him thru the TV. I would love to go on O'Reilly and explain the MANY differences between dog-fighting and hunting. Mr Sexton dropped an egg big time.

PRO

Dogfighting is the cruel treatment of animals in order to make them vicious and attack each other with little disregard for their welfare so humans can be entertained and make money.

If we look it at that way there is no way one can make the comparison between dogfighting and hunting.

The motives behind each sport are completely different.

>Except for the attack part you
>just described outfitters and canned
>hunts.

Yeah, it makes dips$^ attack those who hunt different than themselves(EVEN THOUGH IT IS LEGAL), deceiving themselves into thinking that by putting other hunters down, it somehow elevates themselves, which is complete BS! Atleast you got your name right RopinFOOL.

PRO

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-07 AT 04:36PM (MST)[p]I'd wager that the people who dogfight wouldn't have a problem with illegal methods used to kill animals and obviously don't have a problem seeing animals suffer so I'd say they wouldn't make very ethical hunters either. So many thoughts running thru my head about this today.

IT's just not the same, OK!

I'm a hunter and I know it's not the same. To me, not even close. But if you look at some of the things that people and outfitters do, they give these people some pretty good arguments ($$$, glorification, airplanes, canned hunts, etc). We are hurting ourselves and not even realizing it. It only takes one or two bad seeds to make everybody look bad.

>I'm a hunter and I know
>it's not the same.
>To me, not even close.
> But if you look
>at some of the things
>that people and outfitters do,
>they give these people some
>pretty good arguments ($$$, glorification,
>airplanes, canned hunts, etc).
>We are hurting ourselves and
>not even realizing it.
>It only takes one or
>two bad seeds to make
>everybody look bad.

And so-called hunters who feel the need to attack other hunters ALL the time really help don't they? What a joke!

PRO

I can't believe I'm siding with pro but he's right this time. 99% of outfitters are hard working guys operating within the law. if someone wants or needs their service and can afford it that's fine. canned hunts are another deal and should be outlawed in my opinion, to compare an outfitted hunt to a canned hunt is as dumb as the comparison between hunting and dog fighting.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-07 AT 10:14AM (MST)[p]I both agree and disagree with you.....lol. Your right, there is no comparison between hunting and dog fighting. I think different people have different definitions of hunting though. I'm sure some people think canned hunts are hunting. I guess using airplanes, cameras, and guides following game around all year long is technically hunting although one can debate if it's ethical or not. All i'm saying is that this is the kind of thing that these type of people throw back at us.

Similarities between dog fighting and deer hunting:
(1) An animal -- a dog in the case of dog fighting, a deer in the case of deer hunting -- is killed intentionally by human beings. I think that about does it for similarities

Differences between dog fighting and deer hunting:
(1) Deer hunting plays an important role in controlling deer populations. Deer hunters may not focus on or think of themselves as tools of state game management offices, but hunting seasons and bag limits are definitely modulated to control herd sizes. When deer populations get too large, car accidents increase, crop damages become a nuisance, damages to private gardens and shrubs becomes a nuisance. Dog fighting does not play an important role in controlling dog populations.

(2) Deer hunting provides valued game meat to the tables of deer hunters. Most deer hunters do not subsistence hunt or materially reduce their food expenses by hunting, but this does not mean the game meat is not highly prized and valued. I get great satisfaction out of serving my game meat to my family and to friends. Dog fighting does not provide valued meat to anyone's table.

(3) Deer hunting provides valuable lessons to hunters. It teaches the importance of observing and paying attention to details. It rewards persistence and diligence. It teaches and inculcates a physical robustness and patience, toleration of temperature extremes, toleration of various trivial physical discomforts. I don't think dog fighting can be argued to develop human virtue in this way.

These are some of the important differences.

You are absolutely right. Good post.

My definition of a canned hunt is one in which the animal has virtually no chance of escape.

I'm a hunter and am on our side, but i'm also playing the devils advocate. We all need to look at some of the things we do and ask ourselves if it is right. Just look at the way the media is blowing this dog fighting thing WAY out of proportion. We've been lucky up till now because we have idots shooting pet bears and things like that. They don't need anymore ammo against us. The reasons stated above are the exact reasons I hunt. It's the people who have to have the biggest, most, do whatever it takes, etc. who in the long run will hurt hunting. Anyway, just my opinion....i'll get off my soapbox now. Too bad the guy in the interview didn't focus on the points stated above.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom