Orocopia Desert Hammer

greatwestern

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 05:36PM (MST)[p]Our fellow MM member Troy Scott (mesquitehunter) accompanied Tim Mercier and Cliff St. Martin of Dry Creek Outfitters on hunter Mike's Orocopia Mtns desert sheep hunt, taking this outstanding ram this past couple days....pictured below is Mike with his big dude

6683mail.jpg

177 3/8, 8.5 years old, and one of the finest looking Deserts anyone could ever imagine

GW

Now THAT'S a RAM! Troy did a great job for his hunter on that desert ghost. The ram has some serious mass especially for an 8 year old. Well done boys!

Thanks for sharing a pics of that hog with us.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-26-11 AT 03:58PM (MST)[p]ya Zeke, 16 on the base and around 37 long, and you couldn't ask for a better conformation and horn color... i like golden horns the best myself

sorry for image quality, cell phone pic as T-rex ain't home yet

anyway, cheers!

A sheep can not look any better than that for sure. IMHO.
He went with some great heavy hitters and came out with a smokin ram!
Thanks for sharing GW! I love seeing my dream in real life!
And a hardy congratulations to mesquitehunter!

GW thanks for posting the pics. I have a few more that I'm gonna post later as Tim sends them to me.

This is one of the most beautiful sheep I've seen in quit some time. I never thought the Orocopia Mts of CA could produce such a fine speciman much less produce big B&C rams.

I do want to say I played a very small role in this hunt. Tim and Cliff are very good friends of mine and since I live less than two hours from the unit they invited me along and I couldn't resist. I also had the pleasure to meet Grover the camp Chef. Grover is one of the finest men a man can meet.

Tim and Cliff are truley legends in their own right. It's an honor for me to have them as friends and share a few sheep camps with. It was also the neastest thing in the world to see the tears of joy on Micheals face as we were sitting next to the ram. Congrats Micheal!!!

Gun control is a good aim and a steady rest

The mark of a good man is giving other the credit.

The MASS is the feature that I just can't get over. What a fantastic beauty. (the length isn't too shabby either)

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Jan-27-11 AT 09:31PM (MST)[p]you got it brother T...you all did real good in there with that big dude!

now lets see them good pics!

That's a friggin pig of a desert sheep. Congrats to the hunter.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

From left to right (Troy Scott, Micheal Silliman, Cliff St.Martin and Tim Mercier)
8974orocopia.jpg

I just got word from Cliff that he is the biggest ram to be harvested in CA this season.

right on, looks like it worked....great photo

I'll say it again, a finer Desert Hammer could scarcely be imagined by anyone!

Cheers all around Boys...just awesome!

Wow....that is a great ram...don't get much better in CA. Congratulations Mike.

I met Tim Mercier finally this year in the Old Dads and he is a great guy. He offered great advice and was a pleasure to share the field with. Wish I would have gotten to spend some time around a campfire with him.

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I've looked at a lot of great desert sheep. We have killed a few of them. That ram just really makes me wish I was there! That ram is an opening day shooter ANYWHERE! What a great ram! When I get my tag...someday, I will only hope for one like this one! GREAT JOB to Dry Creek and Micheal. CONGRATS!!!!

It was a great team effort. Thanks to all involved in the hunt! And thank you to Michael for putting his confidence in us..Hey Travis, wish you could have been there also!!

iguide,

Travis isn't the only one who wishes they were there. I WISH I WOULD HAVE BEEN THERE TO SEE THAT STUD-RAM FALL!

You guys did well. Congratulations again!

Zeke

Man someday I will. I was chasing deer. I look forward to hunting with "the toxic waste monster" again! Cliff You know what I mean!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-11 AT 04:21PM (MST)[p]Welcome to the board Cliff aka iguide.

Guy's this dude Cliff is one amazing dude. He's one of the toughest animals around.

Case in point: We were hunting desert sheep this past summer in the White Mtns of CA our base camp was around 7,500' and the spike camp was at 12,000' straight up. Iguide packed his gear around 80lbs on his back. As he was hiking up the trail, he thought he was forming a blister on his foot. He kept hiking untill he reached tree line, pulled his boot off and realized he wasn't getting a blister at all. He had dropped his pocket knife in his boot. Now that my friends is one bad dude!!! Then the next day I happend to glass iguide up just below the summit of Mt. Duboise (which is well over 14,000')glassing into a pocket that was out of the wind. Not bad for a 58 year old guy.

That's one tough dude to do all that. Please don't call him "OLD" though. I'm only a year behind him! haha

Congrats again!

Zeke

Awesome RAM..for sure a pretty one!! Congrats on a greeat ram

Californis produced some great Rams this season...not to high jack, but I was blessed with the old war lord this season as well....173 and 2/8 with 4" broomed off 9 plus years old and I don't know that he had much left. Lots of Character

182446_191752817511656_100000308183226_570115_7487898_n.jpg

Don't shoot til your ready!

Damnation boys! Congratulations!

Those Cali sheep have some sweet blood-lines!

It makes our little Ut sheep look.. well... small! I still love 'em more than any animal on earth.

Good photo too.

Zeke

no 'jack, no worries...i think this photo shows off your big dude a little better anyway!

what a great Desert Hammer...excellent!

Should just turn this into a California Sheep thread..there were some darn good Sheep taken from California this season. If I am not mistaken 4 B&C and 1 P&Y and a one horn that was 90" plus.

Don't shoot til your ready!

ya, no kidding! would love to see the rest of them rams

say, do you know what SGWO finished with? I believe they had the last hunter of the season...

LAST EDITED ON Feb-15-11 AT 00:04AM (MST)[p]hey, what a beauty! i love that pure chocolate...and hell, even his horns are a light coffee

well, its lookin like it has generally been a GREAT season in the deserts of both CA and AZ...

Any other Desert hunters out there?

we sure like to see them rams!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom