Oryx 2012-2013

SageHunter29

Hey guys I'm interested in applying for Oryx in the upcoming draw as a non-res what would you guys recommend for my choices. I was told by an outfitter to put in for Mcgregor first, then WSMR and then the Offrange. Would you agree? Thanks for any input or advice.

I would not recommend offrange for a NR, it is an extremely tough hunt. You need a lot of time and/or luck to make it happen.

Not sure about McGregor, but you can't beat Rhodes canyon hunts on WSMR.

Rhodes Canyon 1st choice for sure. You can always go to McGregor. RC is OIL and easier to draw (last year) than McGregor anyway. It is getting tougher and tougher to kill a giant at Rhodes, I would not wait.

>Rhodes Canyon 1st choice for sure.
>You can always go to
>McGregor. RC is OIL and
>easier to draw (last year)
>than McGregor anyway. It is
>getting tougher and tougher to
>kill a giant at Rhodes,
>I would not wait.

Ditto. MacGregor is not OIL, so put your OIL hunt first.

Rhodes should be your first choice if you haven't been on your OIL hunt. Hands down the best hunt for oryx in New Mexico. I love going on this hunt and watching the big animals come through the gate...

Very few guys actually know the McGregor. If you go with one of these few individuals you will not see many animals, but might have a chance at something big. McGregor is a good hunt if you are guided by someone who knows and has access to the entire range, but this is a tough hunt for oryx, especially for the DIY guy who does not know the country. Sparsely populated but some mature animals. I saw only two oryx on my 2011 hunt on the McG, but as I was with two of most knowledgeable McG guys, I shot the best oryx of my life. Better be on your A-game if going unguided and blind on the McG.

www.streamflies.com

LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-12 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Mar-04-12 AT 08:30?AM (MST)

>Very few guys actually know the
>McGregor. If you go
>with one of these few
>individuals you will not see
>many animals, but might have
>a chance at something big.
> McGregor is a good
>hunt if you are guided
>by someone who knows and
>has access to the entire
>range, but this is a
>tough hunt for oryx, especially
>for the DIY guy who
>does not know the country.
> Sparsely populated but some
>mature animals. I saw
>only two oryx on my
>2011 hunt on the McG,
>but as I was with
>two of most knowledgeable McG
>guys, I shot the best
>oryx of my life.
>Better be on your A-game
>if going unguided and blind
>on the McG.
>
>www.streamflies.com

That is weird about MacGregor. Wonder if it has changed that much since I was there. When I got my 36.5" cow in 2009 I saw at least 15 nice size (30"+) oryx during my 1.5 days hunting. I did a little research on-line and did a couple of hours of scouting on the Friday after registration. Hardly saw any other hunters and saw plenty of action.

I understand that the hunt has become increasingly difficult over the past couple of years. Best thing to do is to contact Brian Locke, the biologist and ask him if he will share any info with you. The bigger animals are scouted pretty hard, but there are a couple of guys who spend a ton of time on range here and can still find'em.
Locke will also make you take a "test" to determine whether he will let you outside of the controlled hunt area. I will not be putting in for the Mcgregor this year, just off-range.

Definitely a cool hunt, but I would recommend an outfitter for the someone who wants to focus on finding a bigger animal or who has never hunted oryx.

-Cody

www.streamflies.com

Cody is right. McGregor is not what it was a few years ago. I think there will be a lot of guys not punching their tag on that hunt this year.

I hunted the Stallion last year in February with a guy who knew it like...well, he'd worked there for 28 years or something, and we only saw 13 animals in 2 days of hunting and a day of scouting.
I did score on a nice cow with 2 hours left in the 2 day hunt that I'm sure I passed on the first day, but it's a very tough hunt, in my opinion.
That said, it was also a complete blast and I sure do with I could do it again!
They say that Rhodes Canyon is better, and with 3 days to hunt now, it should make a big difference.

I have never even put in for McGregor. Never had the opportunity to hunt on range yet. As a teacher, I lean towards off-range summer hunts. On-range are always my first choice, however I always put in for off-range. I have the time, but they are difficult for those that cannot put in the time.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom